Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With July now over

.233/.313/.593/.906

.360 ISO. Three fucking sixty. Sixteen of his 20 hits went for XBH (80%)

Oh and that's with a .265 BABIP. .252/.330/.613/.943 if you give him a .300 BABIP and assume it's all on singles (lol at mike stanton hitting a single)

Players who OPS in July were less than Stanton's SLG: Hanley Ramirez, Chris Coghlan, Jorge Cantu, Ronny Paulino, Cody Ross.

31.3% K rate aint too hot, but still massive improvement over 38.3% in June. 0.33 BB/K is bad but aint horrible

Season now at .781 OPS and .250 ISO. Only four players in the history of the game have hit for a higher ISO at 20 years of age, and his keeps fucking rising

he's gonna finish the season as our offensive MVP

Comment

• This Stanton fella is impressive.
      This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

• I'm a fan.

Comment

• I like him?

Comment

• Originally posted by BeefWillingham View Post
            I like him?
            wah???

Comment

• I'm Ron Burgundy?

Comment

• I love this guy.

Comment

• I love lamp?

Comment

• People know Florida's Michael Stanton for one primary reason: he's really strong. The 20(!) year old outfielder racks up his share of strikeouts, but he also slugged 88 home runs over a 2.5-year span in the minors, and upon his promotion to the bigs, many instantly put him in the argument of being the strongest raw hitter in the Major Leagues. Adam Dunn? Ryan Howard? Powerful guys, but not markedly more powerful than Michael Stanton. Or so the story goes.

Stanton, to date, has hit eight home runs with the Marlins over 169 trips to the plate. That's good for a rookie. Over 600 plate appearances, that's a 28-homer pace for a guy who hasn't yet turned 21. Beyond that, Stanton's hit 36 fly balls and eight of them have cleared the fence for a home run/fly ball rate of 22.%, seventh-best in baseball. Dunn's career rate? 22.2%. Howard's? A more impressive 30.2%. Prince Fielder checks in at 20.5% for his career, and 21.4% so far this season. The early evidence is that Stanton clearly belongs.

But when you look at Stanton's player page, you notice something: he's hit a number of infield pop-ups. Nine of them, out of 36 fly balls. The average rate of pop-ups per fly ball is something like 9-10%. Stanton's come in at 25%, which just so happens to be the highest rate in baseball. Clearly, it's a small sample size, but clearly, it's a high number. That's a lot of infield activity.

Pop-ups, we can assume, are bad contact. Mis-swings. Pop-ups are, for all intents and purposes, automatic outs, no better than a strikeout. So I was curious - what happens if we remove pop-ups from the equation? What happens if we look at Stanton's home runs against the balls he's actually hit to the outfield? This may be a better measure of strength. When Stanton makes actual, solid fly ball contact, how often does he hit the ball out?

Eight home runs, 36 fly balls, nine pop-ups. You can do the math yourself, but the answer ends up being 29.6%. 29.6% of Stanton's outfield fly balls so far this season have left the yard. And that rate bumps him all the way up the leaderboard to second-best in baseball, narrowly behind Travis Snider's 30%.

Now, it's important to understand two things. For one, we're dealing with very small sample sizes here. Stanton has eight dingers. Snider has six. The numbers we get won't be super meaningful. For two, home runs per outfield fly ball is just a casual statistic, and not something of monumental importance. There are other measures of power, and there are other measures of productivity. It's more fun than it is anything else.

The bigger point here remains, though - Mike Stanton is a powerful man, and when it comes to turning his fly balls into home runs, he's off to an incredible start as a 20 year old first-timer. Already, Stanton has posted some remarkable numbers, and as he ages, he's only going to get a better idea of Major League pitching, and he's only going to get physically stronger. He's just another terrific talent for a Marlins franchise that's always churning out some really impressive youth.
                    http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/30/15...riners-orioles

Comment

• http://hittrackeronline.com/detail.p...47&type=hitter

Tracking his HRs hit so far. 2 of our 5 longest homers on the season.
                      poop

Comment

• He's snatchin' yo' people up.
                        This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

• STANTON KEEPS SLUGGING
                          Mike Stanton hit his 10th homer of the year tonight, in his 47th game.

Stanton, 20, is fifth among NL rookies in homers but he’s hitting them at a faster pace than his counterparts.

Tyler Covlin of the Cubs has 17 homers in 99 games… Ike Davis of the Mets has 15 in 94 games… Gaby Sanchez of the Marlins has 12 in 101 games… Atlanta’s Jason Heyward has 11 in 89 games.

Don’t forget Buster Posey of the Giants. He has 8 homers in 56 games.

The Marlins have 55 games to go. Can Stanton hit 10 more in those games and finish his first season with 20 dingers?
                          Florida Marlins Talking Points: Can Mike Stanton finish with 20 homers?

Mike has 31 HR's including his minor league HR's that would put him 2nd in the majors behind Bautista. I have mba-Volstad type love for big Mike.

Comment

• I saw him first! He's my man!

Comment

• Originally posted by Swift View Post
                              I saw him first! He's my man!
                              He's a big boy, there is enough of him to for than one of us.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                                He's a big boy, there is enough of him to for than one of us.
                                Well when he's giving half of marlins fans wet dreams i don't think there is enough of him to go around.

Comment

Working...
                                X