No announcement yet.

Giancarlo Stanton, OF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, at least the glove has translated.

He's saved 3 runs with his glovework alone, a pretty good showing for just 197 innings, and his +6 overall ranks him 8th amongst all RFers even with his lack of playing time.

Considering that Maybin was a +2 in his time here and has been a consistent net positive defensively in his career, it gives you hope that a future of good glovework is somewhere on the horizon, at least in the outfield.
    poop

Comment

• He's no Jeremy Hermida in RF but I <3 Big Mike very much

Comment

• Stanton's awe-inspiring power
        There is power. And then there is Mike Stanton power.

What stood out in the Marlins 13-game, four city road trip is just how hard Stanton hits the ball. Not just how far he hits it, but how hard the ball comes off the bat. It was noted in Los Angeles and Arizona.

Marlins third base coach Joe Espada, with no one on base, plays way back in foul territory when Stanton is hitting. Espada tells the fans down the third base line, and the opposing dugout to be alert when 20-year-old slugger is up.

The other night, D-backs third baseman Mark Reynolds was momentarily knocked back on a hard grounder right at him by Stanton. Arizona bench coach Bo Porter joked to Reynolds that they may play him in if Stanton came to bat with a runner on third.

Reynolds shook his head no.

In San Juan, Puerto Rico against the Mets recently, Stanton smoked a liner that shortstop Jose Reyes caught. Reyes took the glove off his left hand, and he shook off the pain.

In passing, Cody Ross asked Reyes if the liner hurt, to which the response was, "yeah."

"He hits the ball harder than anyone I've ever seen in my life," Ross said.

Ross has been teammates of Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera, who is now with the Tigers. The ball also sounds differently coming off their bats.

"Cabrera hits the ball hard. Hanley hits the ball really hard," Ross said. "Neither one of them compares to Stanton."

The only player Ross has seen that hits the ball close to as hard is Darryl Strawberry. In 1999, when Ross was in the Tigers organization, he was in Tampa at the Yankees complex. Strawberry was taking batting practice.

"I got a chance to see Strawberry taking BP," Ross said. "Very impressive. Very impressive."

In the big leagues since June 8, Stanton is starting to show more maturity. The 20-year-old has five homers and 20 RBIs. But on Sunday, his six-game hitting streak ended.

"I saw some balls hit hard," Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest said. "I saw a single to left field at Dodger Stadium become a double because it was hit so hard.

"I think everybody is starting to see this type of talent. I think it's a break-in period, with the strikeouts, etc. He's such a quality kid. He works so hard. He has everything you want to see. He respects the game. He pretty much is doing everything right."

After a slow start, Stanton is hitting .231 at the break.

"For me, it's more of a break-in period in the Major Leagues," Beinfest said. "He will adjust, and learn quickly. He's a student of the game. I think it's only a matter of time."
        http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/archiv...ing_power.html

Comment

• Hey may kill someone in the stands on a foul ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
            Hey may kill someone in the stands on a foul ball.
            It will be a home run not a foul ball.

Comment

• If, instead of Mark Reynolds, Brian Barden had caught the ball off Stanton's bat, then Stanton would have been out.

Comment

• So I know just a player's comparison or whatever

But Stanton v.s. Strawberry

A+ (both 19):
                Stawberry: 20.5% K, 16% BB, .174 ISO
                Stanton: 21.4% K, 13.3% BB, .284 ISO

AA (Strawberry 20, Stanton 19-20):
                Strawberry: 26.5% K, 18.2% BB, .319 ISO
                Stanton: 26.2% K, 12.9% BB, .299 ISO

First month in the majors (Stanton 20, Strawberry 21):
                Strawberry: 37.2% K, 6.4% BB, .151 ISO
                Stanton: 37.9% K, 6% BB, .204 ISO

Strawberry's rookie year would finish with a 27.1% K, 9.9% BB, .255 ISO, and ROTY

Strawberry took care of his strike out problem (career 21.4% K) but he also showed a better eye. But I'd gladly take his .263/.359/.516/.875 line pre-30 (and cocaine)

Comment

• #34 – Mike Stanton, OF, Florida

Stanton is arguably the strongest player in baseball, and he doesn’t turn 21 until November. His ability to drive a baseball is almost unheard of for a player his age. The power comes with a cost, as his ferocious swing doesn’t make enough contact right now, but its important to remember just how young he is. He’s improved his approach at the plate, and while he’s still too aggressive, it shouldn’t be a permanent thing that can’t be fixed. Once he harnesses his natural abilities, look out. The Marlins would have to be overwhelmed to part with their monster in the making.
                  http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...e-value-35-31/

This is fangraphs list of the game most valuable trade chips/trade value

Comment

• I'm not even totally sure we can say he "got all of it" tonight but god damn that was by far the biggest shot he's hit in the bigs. Obliterated, destroyed.

Comment

• I'm pretty pleased with him so far. Obviously I'd like to see the average higher but I'm not expecting more than .250-260 longterm so I'm really okay with it, especially given that rough patch. I mean, he could realistically hit 20 homers and 80 RBI this year having come up in mid June, and I think if/when the OBP comes up he could end up OPSing .800 this year.
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• Originally posted by Swift View Post
                        I'm not even totally sure we can say he "got all of it" tonight but god damn that was by far the biggest shot he's hit in the bigs. Obliterated, destroyed.
                        No, he definitely didn't get all of it. Not at all. And he still destroyed it.
                        CSBC Commish

Comment

• Yeah, that was his most impressive home run, but he still wasn't even close to getting all of it. If I were to guess, that looked like 75%. I know he's going to put one halfway into the upper deck before we leave The 'Fin.
                          This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

• His opposite field homer in Arizona went 421 feet, that one was pretty impressive.
                            poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                              Yeah, that was his most impressive home run, but he still wasn't even close to getting all of it. If I were to guess, that looked like 75%. I know he's going to put one halfway into the upper deck before we leave The 'Fin.
                              And it's going to be to dead center field.

Comment

• Yeah the Arizona one was awesome, but that was a shot that kept carrying, this one was gone off the bat and looked like it struck the back wall of the club section still on its way up. The dude is fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X