Giancarlo Stanton, OF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Swift View Post
    I think we lost a tremendous opportunity to go with the aggressive callup, after this weekend we won't have the DH again until the June 11-13 series with Tampa and then not again until the end of the month @ Baltimore. The DH is great because it really gives us a no-lose situation, you let all the starters get AB's (so nothing is disrupted, yet) and you get Mike's feet wet however we see fit (RF or DH).

Then again, those AB's we're getting Helms are huge, really glad we're doing it.
    Mike is likely gonna be called up in the first two weeks of June. I don't think his "slump" hurt his chances. However, if no one struggles or is struggling badly, they may wait because they wouldn't have a spot for him.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• I'm not sure this was a "tremendous opportunity" for a call up, any more than the Tampa series in three weeks. It's a three game series, by Monday you still have to deal with the overloaded roster.

Not to mention he was slumping tremendously over the last 10 games or so.
      poop

Comment

• Eh, it would have given him a 3 game audition followed by a home-stand. I see some benefit in that.

This team needs a shakeup, badly. I don't think maintaining this status quo is desirable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swift View Post
          Eh, it would have given him a 3 game audition followed by a home-stand. I see some benefit in that.

This team needs a shakeup, badly. I don't think maintaining this status quo is desirable.
          Is it wise to let Maybin play in AAA all of 2010?

Comment

• Mike Stanton go boom again. 2/4 HR R 4 RBI

Comment

• Even more surprising....last two games - ZERO strikeouts

Comment

• Someone pointed out on another forum that the past two games he's been playing left field.

I think that's something to take notice of.
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Is it the first week or 2nd week of June that would allow us to obtain an extra year of control on Stanton?

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                    Is it the first week or 2nd week of June that would allow us to obtain an extra year of control on Stanton?
                    The extra year of control has already been established. You become a free agent when you reach 6 years of service time. If he plays all of this season starting tomorrow, and the next 5 years, he does not have 6 years of service time.

What your question is really asking is, when is the Super2 deadline where Mike Stanton is club controlled in 2013, and somewhat cheaper in 2014-2016. The Super2 deadline always fluctuates based on what other rookies are gaining service time. Last year, I believe it was 139 days of service time. Historically, it has been anywhere from 128-140 days.

We are already past 139 days. June 1-Oct 3rd, is 124 days of service time. After today and the off day, there is 7 days left in May. 131 days.

We start a 10 game homestand on Tuesday, and are probably 90% in the clear on Super2 right now. Literally, the change could come immediately. However we play the Phillies this weekend. I think that's the make or break for Coghlan/Maybin. One week gets rid of that 10% Super2 chance, and does not throw Stanton into the fire against the defending NL champ.

I think May 31st is most logical date if you think he is MLB ready. Huge interleague stretch starts June 11th.

Comment

• If you had to put an exact date Lou what would you say is most likely the day?

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                        If you had to put an exact date Lou what would you say is most likely the day?
                        May 31st. It's past the financial reasons, and you have 10 days until interleague where you can give 6-7 starts each to Coghlan/Maybin/Stanton so no one isn't getting sufficient AB, then they all play interleague.

I like that.
                        --------------------
                        Then post interleague, you see where Coghlan and Maybin are. It would be tough to send them to AAA, but if Stanton's going to hit, he's going to need to play.
                        Last edited by lou; 05-23-2010, 12:46 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
                          Someone pointed out on another forum that the past two games he's been playing left field.

I think that's something to take notice of.
                          He's playing RF today.

so far 1/1 R BB

Comment

• Finished 2/4 R BB

Comment

• The question I’ve heard most often this season is when will the Marlins call up power-hitting prospect Mike Stanton. Saturday night, Stanton hit his minor league-leading 17th homer for Double-A Jacksonville.

There’s no guarantee of course the Marlins will promote him on this date, but it appears June 5 or anytime thereafter would preclude Stanton from qualifying for Super Two status. That estimate comes courtesy of Ed Price at AOL Fanhouse. He put together a great explanation of how Super Twos work and why June 5 is when teams can safely promote their prospects.

Every season, the top 17 percent of players with between two and three years of major league service qualify for arbitration as Super Twos. With Stanton, it could mean the difference between his salary exploding in 2014 instead of 2013. The Super Two cutoff is usually between 2 years, 130 days and 2 years, 140 days. As Price points out, this year it could be as low as 2 years, 122 days. A rookie who comes up on June 5 through season’s end would finish with 121 days of service time.

The organization is split on what to do with Stanton, 20. Some feel he should arrive straight from Double-A and others think he would benefit from time with Triple-A New Orleans before making the jump.
                              Florida Marlins: Is June 5 the magic day for Mike Stanton?

Comment

• If there are some that think he should be in AAA, then why isnt he there yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X