X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He is the king.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
      Sucks that our owner is a cheap piece of crap. Fuck arbitration and free agency, if this guy proves to be great, sign him long term dammit! He's a very talented and SMART individual, he's going to be up there with the Hanleys and King Alberts, Mike has always busted his ass to make himself the best that he can be.
      A) he's not ready for the bigs
      B) he hasn't seen AAA yet
      C) waiting a couple of weeks could save the club a boatload of cash
      D) this team's problems aren't solved by Stanton anyways

Our ownership is generally silly with finances, but let's get our criticism right
      God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
      - Daft

Comment

• Some interesting stuff on Stanton:

Dan Meyer's Eyewitness Account of Mike Stanton's Bomb

WASHINGTON -- Lefty reliever Dan Meyer has returned to the Marlins from a minor-league rehab assignment and will be activated Monday from the disabled list. Hunter Jones will likely be sent back to Triple A Albuquerque.

Meyer was in Montgomery, Ala., and witnessed Mike Stanton's gargantuan home run on Thursday for Double A Jacksonville. Here's how he described the blast:

"I was there for Stanton's 7,000-foot home run. I was in the dugout and it was one of those things where I was thinking about going inside to get some work done. And then I thought, nah, I'll stick around and watch him hit, and I'm glad I did. The first thing I said was (after Stanton's home run) I'm going to try to tell people about this and it won't do it any justice. It's 395 to the wall out there in left center. The scoreboard is probably 80 feet high, if not 100 feet. It's a huge scoreboard, and he cleared it.

"The second it left his bat you knew it was gone. But you didn't realize how far until it went over the scoreboard. And everybody (inside the dugout) was just looking at each other. It was almost like everybody stopped. I could see guys in their dugout, like 'Oh my Gosh.' It's really hard to do it any justice.

"He's a very low key, very somber. He didn't pimp it. He just ran around the bases, like no big deal. It was amazing. If I had to estimate I would say easily over 500 feet. I would say maybe 540 to 550. Guys were saying 570, but that's a long, long way. That's fairy tale type stuff. Honestly, if somebody said it went 550, I'd probably lean toward believing it."

Meyer said he has never seen a home run at the major league level that was as long as Stanton's.

"This ball was absolutely demolished. And the thing is, he's only 20 years old. He's wise beyond his years, very humble, very down to earth. He said 'my job is just to play everyday here.' He didn't really say anything about going up. He just said he wanted to play and get better. I talked to Corey Hart, their hitting coach, and he said Stanton hit a little bit of a slide, and he was struggling a little bit. He worked in the cage that night and stayed for a couple of hours and the next day he hit three homers. So his worth ethic is beyond his years."

Question: Is he ready?

"That's tough to say. I think everybody knows he has talent and he's pretty impressive. But a kid that age, you want to make sure. I think you don't want somebody to come up and fail, especially at 20. But he's got the tools, everybody knows that. It's just that they've got to make sure he's ready. It'll be interesting."

Now for a bit of context. While everyone sits and waits for the Marlins to pull the trigger on Stanton and promote him to the big club, here are some numbers to think about:

Collectively, Marlins outfielders.........

1) Rank dead last in the majors in home runs

2) Rank dead last in extra base hits

3) Rank 29th in OPS (Astros pulling up the rear at 30th).

4) Rank 28th in on-base percentage

5) Rank 26th in batting average

6) Rank 29th in runs created

This is an outfield in need of a fix.

Question: How much longer should the Marlins wait before calling up Kid Wonder?
        Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...#ixzz0nSDSTfEh

• One Marlins veteran said he and others would like to see the team promote Mike Stanton -- ``these games could be the difference later'' -- but management believes doing that before June would be a mistake because it would move up his arbitration/free agency by a year.
        Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/0...#ixzz0nSDpM8YY

Comment

• Originally posted by Absolute Zero View Post
          D) this team's problems aren't solved by Stanton anyways
          If he's as good as some expect him to be right away, he does. This team's biggest problem is that our outfield is a zero, as Swift posted.

I'm just not sure he's going to be as good as some expect him to be.
          poop

Comment

• As a team, we're 8th in runs scored in the NL. Not great, but not terrible.

We are, however, #1 in errors, dead last in fielding percentage, and 14th in assists. We're in the bottom half in team UZR. And that's before we get into the one boneheaded defensive move a game stat that we seem to be dominating.

That's also before we start talking about our pitching staff save JJ/Nolasco/Volstad.
            God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
            - Daft

Comment

• Our team being 8th is an underperformance

Comment

• Well, if you want to improve our defense, replacing Coghlan with Stanton likely does that in a pinch.
                poop

Comment

• ehe

Comment

• Yes?
                    --------------------
                    Note, I was not necessarily endorsing replacing Cogs with Stanton, just saying that if your primary concern is defense, that likely improves our overall outfield.

I think Coghlan will be fine and be a .775 OPS bat the rest of the way and that Maybin will likely be the worst performer of them all at this point. But I still think we need to figure out what we have in him for another few weeks.
                    Last edited by Bobbob1313; 05-09-2010, 01:43 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                    poop

Comment

• All those numbers makes me wonder why Cody Ross is such a cult hero to the fans. I mean he's okay but nothing chant/going gaga worthy

Comment

• Cody is a nice player that has put up a .796 OPS over the last 2 seasons, .836 if you include his bonkers 200 at bats in 2006.

Not exactly sure what your post means other than it somehow perturbs you that fans chant "Co-dy, Co-dy" when he comes to bat

Comment

• It doesnt perturb me. It perplexes me.

Comment

• It perplexes you why fans would chant for a player they like?

Comment

• it perplexes him because his "go go go! emilio! go go go! emilio!" chant never took off
                              Originally posted by Madman81
                              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• I thought "Oh-eeeeee-ohhhhh-Bonifaciooooh-eee-ohhhhh" would've been far superior and less perplexing or perturbing or something.
                                This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Working...
                                X