Marlins Going After Vlad for a Bench Role

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor: Marlins Going After Vlad for a Bench Role

The Marlins are interested in shoring up their bench by signing Vladimir Guerrero, the veteran told Julio E. Castro C. at the Dominican paper El Caribe (link in Spanish). However, neither Guerrero nor manager Ozzie Guillen is entirely comfortable with what a move back to the National League would signify for the 37-year-old's career.

"The Marlins have shown interest in me, but to be on the bench or to pinch hit for the pitcher. Ozzie Guillen didn't like this, since he said I'm not that class of player," Guerrero told Castro. Guerrero shares this hesitancy, adding, "I don't consider myself a bench player, in spite of my age."

Despite Guillen's reservations, the match makes sense on paper. The Marlins' first options off the bench are currently lefties Chris Coghlan and Greg Dobbs, and Vlad and former Marlin Derrek Lee are the strongest remaining right-handed batters. Guerrero also said he considers himself a friend of Guillen, whom he met when the Venezuelan was the Expos' third base coach in 2001. "In addition to that, I know the Marlins' owner [Jeffrey Loria] very well, and I consider him a great person," Guerrero added.

Earlier this winter, Guerrero was reportedly open with the Yankees about his desire to fill their DH vacancy. In lieu of other offers, he indicated to Castro he was willing to return to the junior circuit after eight seasons away. "For the moment, I'll continue waiting for [the Marlins'] call," Guerrero said.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...medium=twitter

Was just about to post this. I lol'd at Ozzie telling him he doesn't like him having a bench role despite that's what the Marlins are trying to get him for. I love Vlad and it would be cool to have him as a veteran bench bat.

Comment

Would be a solid signing

Comment

I'm personally not interested.

Comment

He's better than Aaron Rowand.
          poop

Comment

Rowand could still play the field Vlad I'm surprised he can walk. I would be open to D Lee coming back too. Back up Gaby and a bench bat.

Comment

I'd rather have the better bat for the bench.
              poop

Comment

Rowand actually had a slightly better .OPS against lefties last year.
                I'll take my chances with his bat and the fact that he can actually play the field.

Comment

We can have both

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                    Rowand actually had a slightly better .OPS against lefties last year.
                    By .010 points.

He was significantly worse the year before.

I'll take the guy who is clearly a better hitter. I'd rather carry Peterson for defense anyways.
                    poop

Comment

I'd rather have Putin over Guerrero.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

A bench of Dobbs, Vlad, Peterson, Coghlan and Murphy would be pretty cool if they let Coghlan be a super utility guy and play the infield and outfield.
                        poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                          A bench of Dobbs, Vlad, Peterson, Coghlan and Murphy would be pretty cool if they let Coghlan be a super utility guy and play the infield and outfield.
                          Well Hayes would have to be in there somewhere so Coghlan would be in AAA, but it's still a cool bench.

Comment

Ken Rosenthal ‏ @Ken_Rosenthal
                            Source: #Marlins not pursuing Vlad. Kicked name around, but looking at Rowand and Kearns as RH bat off bench. Vlad not a fit in role. #MLB

really doesn't seem like a good fit

Comment

He's un viejo.

Comment

Working...
                              X