Ozzie Might Bat Infante Second

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculation: Ozzie Might Bat Infante Second

The Marlins’ front office spent much of the offseason extolling the new speed component atop the batting order after pairing Jose Reyes with Emilio Bonifacio.

Upon his arrival Thursday, Reyes expressed excitement about setting the table along with his friend and fellow Dominican countryman, saying: “It’s going to be exciting. I think we’re going to put some pressure for the other team. Me and Boni get on base, we know what Hanley [Ramirez] can do and the other guys behind Hanley, too. I can’t wait to get on the field and try to bring my energy.”

Manager Ozzie Guillen might have other ideas. Asked about his lineup, Guillen said he hadn’t settled on anything yet. He reeled off Bonifacio, Reyes, Ramirez, Mike Stanton, Logan Morrison, Gaby Sanchez, Omar Infante and John Buck.

Guillen then added he was debating whether to bat Infante second, which presumably means Bonifacio would slide down to seventh.

The right-handed hitting Infante has logged more career at-bats in the two-hole (824) than any other spot in the lineup. He is a .277 lifetime hitter there with a .319 on-base percentage and .379 slugging.

A switch-hitter, Bonifacio for his career has been more productive batting leadoff (.277/.338/.361) in 887 at-bats than he has in 252 turns as a No. 2 hitter (.230/.290/.282). Last season, he logged 397 at-bats atop the order and hit .310 while reaching base at a .376 clip. That on-base percentage ranked third among National League leadoff hitters behind Brandon Phillips (.417) and Reyes (.383).

Infante isn’t anywhere near as fast as Bonifacio. He also walks much less. Infante last season drew a base on balls 5.3 percent of the time compared to Bonifacio’s 9.2 percent. Yet one reason Guillen may like Infante at the top of the order is because he makes more consistent contact.

As good of a season as Bonifacio had in 2011, he still struck out in 20.1 percent of his at-bats and swung and missed at a 7.9 percent clip. Infante struck out 10.5 percent of the time and his swing and miss rate was 4.8 percent.

One thing Guillen knows for certain is the pitcher will not hit eighth, saying: “If I do it, I’m a clown. If other guys do it they’re smart.”
    Sun-Sentinel
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

I'd rather have Bonifacio at the top. I've been saying all along that I actually want him leading off with Reyes batting second.

Comment

Yet one reason Guillen may like Infante at the top of the order is because he makes more consistent contact.
      Ah yes, wouldn't want the guy with better contact to bat with runners on.

Comment

I'd bat the pitcher 8th. Feel free to call me a clown.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMendozaLine View Post
          I'd bat the pitcher 8th. Feel free to call me a clown.
          Your avatar is a clown.
          --------------------
          Also, bat Gaby 2nd.
          Last edited by Mainge; 02-23-2012, 01:23 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
          X