Man Claims He Bought Marlins for $10M; Filing Suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluff Piece: Man Claims He Bought Marlins for $10M; Filing Suit

Someone is suing the Marlins, claiming they bought the team for $10 million at an auction

Craig Calcaterra Feb 22, 2012, 1:41 PM EST

This is fun. In 2008, Marlins’ president David Samson apparently served as auctioneer at what I can only guess was a charity auction at a Florida Marlins awards banquet at a country club.

At the outset of the auction, he said, in what I can only guess was a joking manner, that the Marlins were the first item up for bid, minimum bid, $10 million.

Then, from the crowd, someone, in what one would reasonably assume was a joking manner, bid $10 million. I’m sure there were chuckles all around, and then the actual auction began.

Except the guy who bid $10 million now claims that he was serious and is suing the Marlins, claiming that they breached a contract by not selling the team to him for $10 million. Courtesy of Sport in Law, here’s the lawsuit.

This is why we can’t have nice things, people.

The suit was filed by an actual law firm too, not some weirdo acting on his own twisted behalf. Here’s hoping that the judge who is assigned to the case is especially cranky the day he or she reads this thing and kicks all kinds of lawyer and plaintiff butt as he or she drums this frivolous complaint out of court.
    Hardball Talk via NBC Sports
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

ehe what if this sale is upheld?

Comment

jajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja

Comment

jajaja

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
          ehe what if this sale is upheld?
          I'm not a lawyer, but I have to think the chances that this is seen as a legit verbal contract are slim
          God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
          - Daft

Comment

Especially since, you know, Samson doesn't own the team

Comment

He could still have the authority to sell the team.

But he didn't

Comment

It would be absurd to think that the Marlins would be sold for $10 million. Absurd! And yet, here we are, with a lawsuit on our hands.
                Feb 22, 2012 - David Samson is the president of the Miami Marlins. In 2008, David Samson was the president of the Florida Marlins. In February of that year, Samson served as the auctioneer at the Fourth Annual Awards Banquet at the Diplomat Country Club & Spa. It was a team function, see, and an auction was a big part of it. To begin the auction, Samson put the Marlins up for sale, available to bidders at a starting price of $10 million. Samson was probably joking. Somebody bid. That somebody was apparently not joking.
                And now that somebody is suing the Marlins. Omeranz & Landsma Corporation submitted the bid. It was the only bid. A contract of some sort was subsequently drawn up. The Marlins then failed to honor the contract by not actually being sold for $10 million. So the corporation is suing for "damages". And also for "such other and further relief" as the court deems "just and proper". This is legal terminology for "we want money and goodies". I have a friend in law school so I can parse this stuff like nobody's business.
                Obviously, Samson was not seriously offering the Marlins for a $10 million starting price. David Samson has his flaws, but "complete and utter incompetence" is not one of them. However, without having seen the alleged contract entered into after the Omeranz & Landsma bid, it's fun to let the imagination run wild and think that the Marlins might have gotten themselves into a pickle here. Since I don't actually know anything about law, I don't know how courts differentiate legitimate contracts from facetious contracts. Maybe they do, and maybe they don't. Maybe the Marlins inserted specific language, and maybe they didn't.
                Omeranz & Landsma are not suing for ownership. They don't want to take over. You know what's really hard? Running an entire baseball franchise! But they're suing for something, and as weird as this looks from the outside, they could very well walk away with fuller pockets, either by ruling or by settlement. David Samson might have been joking, but something I've learned about rich white people is that they don't tell very good jokes, and now Samson might have to pay for one of his.
                http://mobile.mlb.sbnation.com/2012/...s-sued-auction
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Wait, there's a contract?
                  - Daft

Comment

Comment

There can't really be a contract....can there?

Comment

good lord

Comment

If there is one would have to assume they didn't actually pay the 10 million in which case wouldn't that be a breach of contract on their part?
                          Originally posted by Madman81
                          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I have a feeling Samson was high as a Georgia pine the night of the auction

Comment

Oh, America.
                              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Working...
                              X