• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Con-SOLER-ation Prize

Here comes Soler
    1 hour ago by KenRosenthal

Jorge Soler is the next big thing.

Not as big as Yoenis Cespedes, whose four-year, $36 million free-agent contract with the Oakland Athletics almost certainly will be larger than the one Soler receives.

But the demand for Soler, 19, appears even broader, involving more teams than the auction for his fellow Cuban Cespedes, 26.

Soler, a prospect, is drawing attention not only from clubs that lost out on Cespedes, most notably the Chicago Cubs and Miami Marlins, but also from teams such as the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox and Philadelphia Phillies — and many others.

Scouts say that Soler, a 6-foot-3, 205-pound right-handed hitter, possesses power comparable to that of a player with a similar build, Marlins right fielder Mike Stanton. Soler does not run as well as Stanton, however, and ultimately could end up at first base.

Reports of an agreement between Soler and the Cubs were premature. The Cubs indeed have scouted Soler heavily, according to rival clubs, but the player is not yet a free agent.

Soler’s representative, Barry Praver, would be foolish to lock in a deal before the bidding even begins. Soler, though, is expected to hit the market shortly, and at that point the fun will begin.

New international spending limits for amateurs take effect this summer. Soler is not subject to those restrictions, and Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo has said that he expects Soler to receive more than the $15.5 million contract that the Texas Rangers awarded Cuban outfielder Leonys Martin.

— Ken Rosenthal
    http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/m...?new_post=true
    Lets get him.
    "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
    - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

no thanks

Comment

Aaaaaaaaand away we go

Comment

Rather sign him then Cepadas anyday. If the kids power is really like Stanton he could be a monster in the future.

Comment

As I posted right after this was split:

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
          Samson said "I've heard of Soler but we have not seen him or made any inroads so no."

Don't know if the no was in response to if he's a target or what but it sounds like it's not happening.
          Sounds like we're not going any where.

Comment

I think LeBatard's question was in regards to Rosenthal and Heyman's reported interest. Samson's response was more along the lines of "haven't made an offer" rather than "won't make an offer"

Comment

I didn't get that impression but we'll see.

Comment

Indeed

Comment

I'd rather spend the money on Cholly Naranjo or Bárbaro Garbey.

Comment

We could just sign Stanton but if we got Soler I wouldn't complain.

Comment

@JeffPassan
                      No surprise, but the two teams in hardest on Jorge Soler right now are the Yankees and Phillies, two sources say. This will get expensive.
                      Not sure it gets Yoenis Cespedes expensive, but Soler will get more years. He's going to need at least one, almost surely more, in minors.

Comment

Not happening, nothing more to see here.
                        There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

Maybe we can be the mystery team for once.

Comment

Do not want.

Comment

Just to confirm: Despite losing out on Yoenis Cespedes, the Marlins have NO interest in Jorge Soler, the other Cuban free agent.
                              Fish Bytes
                              God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                              - Daft

Comment

Working...
                              X