Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offseason Shopping (Seemingly) Over: So, Was It Good For You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erick View Post
    Reyes for 6/106 is a pretty good deal.

If you didn't like that deal, you basically didn't want a big free agent signing at all.

Agreed. Erick, call me.

Comment

Erick, what you said about CJ isn't really fair considering we offered him 6/98. I'd much rather Buehrle at what we're paying than CJ at that price and length
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Yeah, true. Had he not taken a hometown discount, he would've gotten a lot more money, as well. I guess that basically was the market for Buehrle, especially due to his consistency over the years.
        --------------------
        Originally posted by Mainge View Post
        I don't understand this. It's not your money, yes, but that doesn't mean you should give anyone a pass for inefficient spending.

And I'm not saying they were inefficient contracts (well Bell is), I just think "who cares, it's not my money" is silly.
        Well, personally, I probably wouldn't have done the same thing.

If it's not my money, I'm not really going to care especially because I don't know what their plan is. Safe to say the Marlins probably spent more money this offseason than expected.

I think people get caught up with the inefficient spending because we're not used to this.

The goal was to acquire free agents in order to get better this offseason heading into the new stadium. They did that; they even tried to get more. At the end of the day, once you go into free agency searching for the best free agents available, odds are you're going to be "spending inefficiently."

With the fans, it's almost a lose/lose situation. If they don't spend, they're cheap. If they do spend, they're not spending it correctly.

What would've been better? The_Godfather said it would've been a success if they would've pulled off all the free agents and added Pujols to the mix, but Pujols contract is an inefficient one, as well.

If anything, the Marlins were the only team this offseason to efficiently spend on a big-time free agent contract (Reyes).
        Last edited by Erick; 02-19-2012, 02:17 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

You can also (probably) look at it as Carlos Zambrano at $2.5 M or CJ Wilson at what we offered him
          God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
          - Daft

Comment

It's funny, of all the contracts this season, the only ones handed out this year that I think were overpayments were Pujols and Reyes (both justifiable for their own reasons, Angels because they believe it pays for itself by year 3, Marlins because they have to "buy" credibility).

I know that it's fun to bash closers as being replaceable (and, for the most part, I do agree) but Bell for $9 million in the same offseason Papelbon got what he got, and Andrew Bailey brought a 3:1 is not terrible. His track record's pretty good and despite being 33, he hasn't really been overworked. I'd be a little worried about the 4th year option, but if we get to that point, so be it.

Buehrle's contract is phenomenal for a legitimate #2. Really hard contract to complain about given the market for pitching, especially left-handed pitching.

Comment

Buehrle is going to be a net positive for us, but I do think he's being overvalued by some. Yes he was in the American League, but he's coming from arguably the weakest division in baseball into the deepest. He will benefit from making half his starts in an extreme pitchers park.

Comment

I know this has to be qualified because of tenure issues, but the Marlins haven't gotten consecutive 200+ IP seasons from the same pitcher since Dontrelle (3 straight, '05 - '07).

Buehrle has never pitched fewer than 200 innings in any full season in his career. Even if that's all he does (hopefully not) that's a tremendous amount of reliability the franchise has never really had.

Comment

Working...
                X