No announcement yet.

Phillies' Manuel Believes Marlins Are Biggest Threat in NL East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluff Piece: Phillies' Manuel Believes Marlins Are Biggest Threat in NL East

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said don’t go to sleep on the Braves, but he characterized the Marlins the “biggest threat”to his club’s run at another National League East title.

Manuel’s exact quote, as reported by CBSPhilly.com: “If you look at it on paper, you have to say the Florida Marlins are the biggest threat,” Manuel said. “But I don’t ever underestimate Atlanta. Chipper Jones said after the season that they have to be more consistent offensively, and they have some talent on their team. They have one of the best center fielders in the National League, talent-wise, and people haven’t seen their young pitching, and they can sneak up and surprise us. Florida is getting a new ballpark and they have [Jose] Reyes. But they still have to play the games, and they still have to play together.”

Manuel won’t have to wait long to get a first-hand look at the Marlins, who are in Philadelphia for the Phillies’ home opener on April 9.
    Sun-Sentinel
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

Damn, he didn't answer if the Miami Marlins were a threat.

Comment

I'd be afraid of phantom teams too.

Comment

Better watch out for those pesky Montreal Expos too.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Michael Bourn is one of the best CFers in the NL talent-wise?
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Season over

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Polky View Post
                Michael Bourn is one of the best CFers in the NL talent-wise?
                Absolutely.

Comment

Matt Kemp, Chris Young, Dexter Fowler, Nyjer Morgan, Shane Victorino, Andrew McCutchen, Jon Jay and Emilio Bonifacio were all better than him offensively last season. That's half the CFers in the NL.

I don't really know how you define "talent-wise", but I'm not sure I'd put him in front of any of them.
                  --------------------
                  BR.com WAR says I'm a total idiot

Code:
                  16 expected NL CF starters

3yr
                                        2011  Avg
                  Matt Kemp         LA  10.0  6.0
                  Andrew McCutchen PIT   5.5  4.1
                  Shane Victorino  PHI   5.1  3.7
                  Michael Bourn    ATL   5.0  4.1
                  Chris Young      ARI   4.8  3.1
                  Drew Stubbs      CIN   2.9  3.3
                  Cameron Maybin    SD   2.9  1.4
                  Emilio Bonifacio MIA   2.4  0.8
                  Jason Bourgeois  HOU   2.3  0.7
                  Jayson Werth     WAS   2.1  3.5
                  Nyjer Morgan     MIL   2.0  1.2
                  Marlon Byrd      CHC   1.7  2.6
                  Andres Torres    NYM   1.3  2.6
                  Jon Jay          STL   1.3  1.2*
                  Dexter Fowler    COL   1.2  1.0
                  Angel Pagan       SF   0.2  2.9

*Only played 2 years
                  Last edited by HUGG; 01-31-2012, 06:43 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

According to fangraphs, Bourn has averaged a 4.6 WAR over the past 3 years, and he's been consistently over 4 on a year-to-year basis.

He's definitely one of the best CF'ers in the game.

The only thing he can't do is hit for power.

Comment

Are we talking about talent or production here? I'd like someone to look me in the face and tell me Cameron Maybin and Drew Stubbs and Jayson Werth and Chris Young are less talented ballplayers than Michael Fucking Bourn.
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Talent has to = production at some point or else it's not talent.
                        poop

Comment

Originally posted by Polky View Post
                          Are we talking about talent or production here? I'd like someone to look me in the face and tell me Cameron Maybin and Drew Stubbs and Jayson Werth and Chris Young are less talented ballplayers than Michael Fucking Bourn.
                          I'd say stealing the most bases, being one of the best overall baserunners, and being a great defender indicates a good bit of talent. I certainly can't run like him...

If he had any sort of power, he'd be right up there with the most valuable players in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                            I'd say stealing the most bases, being one of the best overall baserunners, and being a great defender indicates a good bit of talent. I certainly can't run like him...

If he had any sort of power, he'd be right up there with the most valuable players in the game.
                            I liked that part the best.

Comment

Working...
                            X