Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juanky Oviedo, Fish Agree to $6M Deal, Avoid Arbitration

@joecapMARLINS
    Juan Carlos Oviedo, formerly Leo Nunez, agrees to $6 million deal with #Marlins, avoiding arbitration

absolutely crazy...have to wonder if this is like Seth Smith and they've got a trade ready contingent on his contract being less than a certain amount or something...can't imagine with all the pen arms we have and with other holes on the roster that we'd pay him 6mm to set up
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Isn't there a good chance he won't even set foot in the United States?
      LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

The real Juanky will not be pleased!

Comment

He'll do a great job closing for the Dominican Republic Penal League.

Comment

Originally posted by Miamarlin21 View Post
            Isn't there a good chance he won't even set foot in the United States?
            Yeah that's what I was thinking.

I don't really see how this makes much sense.
            --------------------
            Ah:

Oviedo's legal status is still uncertain, and under his deal with the Marlins, he will not earn a single dollar if he does not pitch in 2012. His salary will be prorated based on the time he spends on the Marlins roster.
            http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports/...137489993.html
            --------------------
            Either way, paying him $6 million just to set up is pretty yuck.
            Last edited by Valid; 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Mujica also settled via Juan Rodriguez. No terms yet.

Seeing how middle relievers/non-savers for the first time ever are receiving some solid above slot tenders, I could see Mujica getting over $2 million, which is above projections, but who cares since they are spending so much anyways.

Comment

Juanky has some company

Indians pitcher Fausto Carmona was arrested Thursday in the Dominican Republic, charged with using a fake identity.

According to Dominican police (via spokesman Maximo Baez Aybar on Twitter), Carmona's real name is Roberto Hernandez Heredia, and the pitcher is actually 31 years old, not 28.

The police said Carmona (or Hernandez) was arrested when he went to the American consulate to renew his visa. The police said they were working in cooperation with the consulate.

It's not yet clear what charges Carmona (or Hernandez) will face, or what effect this will have on his contract with the Indians. The Indians picked up the pitcher's $7 million option for 2012 in October.

The Indians signed Carmona (or Hernandez) in 2000, when his documents showed that he was 17 years old. Actually, according to the charge, he was 20 years old then, and was 25 when he debuted in the big leagues.
                http://danny-knobler.blogs.cbssports...90096/34467634

Comment

Originally posted by TheMendozaLine View Post
                  I posted the shorter tweet about this in the MLB thread. I also just posted this but I think it's funny enough to post it again here (it also is relative to the thread).

@JonHeymanCBS: No truth to the rumor leo nunez has been traded to the indians for fausto carmona and a player to be named later

Comment

Real knee-slapper

Comment

Because they both had fake names, so they would be traded for each other and it'd be a trade of guys who used fake names and got caught.

Comment

Working...
                      X