New Marlins Ballpark Could Potentially Host Future NHL Winter Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Marlins Ballpark Could Potentially Host Future NHL Winter Classic

Could Miami be in line to host an outdoor hockey game as well? Don’t laugh.

Thanks to the new Marlins ballpark — and its retractable roof — ice-making experts say an NHL game could be played “outdoors’’ in South Florida. Will it ever come to pass? Well, that’s another story.

“It would cost a lot of money to do it, but they’re spending that anyway for these games,’’ said Graham Caplinger, ice technician for the Panthers at BankAtlantic Center.

“The NHL has this down to a science. They definitely could do it in Miami. You may lose the spirit of the thing because it will be inside-outside, but I think it would be cool. If it’s in the winter months, I see no reason why you couldn’t do it.’’

And, the Marlins’ park could not only have ice, but if the conditions outside were good enough, it also could be NHL-quality ice. First, the ballpark would have to close its retractable roof for about two weeks with the air conditioning running — and humidity lowered — while the ice sheet is built and maintained. On game day, the roof would open for the outdoor affect.

One can only imagine the scenery an outdoor hockey game in the tropics would produce for a worldwide television audience. That imagery is what the Panthers would sell to the league. It’s a hook no other market has. Sure, Los Angeles has sun and palm trees; it doesn’t have the retractable roof.

“It would be unique, that’s for sure,’’ said Panthers winger Kris Versteeg, who was the first hockey player to ever score in a ballpark when he gave Chicago a 1-0 lead on Detroit at Wrigley Field on Jan. 1, 2009.

“Everyone loves coming down here, and it would be neat to have a tropical outdoor game. People would travel from all over for that. The game and the weather would be great for the fans. It was awesome playing at Wrigley, but I don’t want to play in that cold again. But it was a memory I’ll always have.’’

Brian Campbell, who played in the initial classic in Buffalo, N.Y., and then alongside Versteeg at Wrigley Field, said he would love to play in another outdoor game. And like Versteeg, he would like to play in one where it’s not so cold outside.

“I’ve been thinking about where it’s going next and which teams get to experience this next,’’ Campbell said. “With today’s technology, in a dome, there should be no problem. I think it would be awesome. Move it around, expose it to other parts of the country. A retractable dome would be perfect. It should be here. That would be good for the game."

Panthers coach Kevin Dineen attended Marlins games during the summer and spoke to various team officials. When they told Dineen about the new ballpark and how it would be climate controlled, Dineen remembers thinking that “if the temperature could be dropped another 20 degrees,’’ the new park would be perfect for a Winter Classic. Panthers against the Tampa Bay Lightning in a Sunshine State Bowl, perhaps?

“Why not? I think it would be a really good experience for the league,’’ Dineen said. “This is something that would be attractive in this market and people all over would watch it. Now we have a facility for it, so let’s plant the seed and get it here.’’

The chances this actually happens is remote, although some with the Panthers think the NHL with its aggressive marketing could look at a tropical outdoor game as something unique. Of course, there are many northern markets — not to mention California — vying to host this game. South Florida would be at the very bottom of a long list. The Panthers, though, are taking the idea seriously.

“I wish I would have thought of this myself, but it’s a real possibility,’’ team president Michael Yormark said.

“I think David Samson and the Marlins would love to do something like this. At the right time, we would want to discuss this with the league. We would like to put this on their radar.’’

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/3...k-forward.html

That would be pretty rad. Especially if they could open the roof and the side glass panels to still give most of the open effect.
    This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

This would be cool. But it isn't going to happen.

Comment

Working...
      X