Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enough Money for One More: Pujols, Buehrle or Wilson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I picked Albert for video game reasons but I understand arguments from both sides. I also imagine Albert legitimizes us in a way the other guys don't. Lebatard has talked about the possibility of Albert's contract paying for itself via foreign Latin markets like the Mariners with Japan. Festa was telling me a little while ago about the last Mariner TV deal (with the Japanese market?) that netted them an extra $400 million.

if Pujols helps Miami do something similar, not only is it the best win now move, it seems like the best longterm investment. Festa can probably explain it way better than I can.

Comment

Festa, please entertain us.

Comment

Originally posted by DropkickAlex View Post
        I hope Loria is okay with a payroll above 100 million. When I mean okay I mean a consistent payroll over 100 million.
        If they land Pujols the cat is out of the bag. You will see the team start to negotiate on media contracts throughout Latin America. The Mets tried to do that, but really it was never going to happen. Miami is in a much better position to be that. It's the de facto capital of Latin America.

In 10 years, it would not be all that far fetched for the Marlins to run all of the Caribbean and the state of Florida, assuming the Rays leave. You're talking about millions of households.

Comment

Originally posted by Claudio Vernight View Post
          If they land Pujols the cat is out of the bag. You will see the team start to negotiate on media contracts throughout Latin America. The Mets tried to do that, but really it was never going to happen. Miami is in a much better position to be that. It's the de facto capital of Latin America.

In 10 years, it would not be all that far fetched for the Marlins to run all of the Caribbean and the state of Florida, assuming the Rays leave. You're talking about millions of households.
          Your sweet words just gave me two boners. Yes, TWO!

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
            I picked Albert for video game reasons but I understand arguments from both sides. I also imagine Albert legitimizes us in a way the other guys don't. Lebatard has talked about the possibility of Albert's contract paying for itself via foreign Latin markets like the Mariners with Japan. Festa was telling me a little while ago about the last Mariner TV deal (with the Japanese market?) that netted them an extra $400 million.

if Pujols helps Miami do something similar, not only is it the best win now move, it seems like the best longterm investment. Festa can probably explain it way better than I can.
            As I was telling Mainge earlier, the Mariners have one of the sweetest TV deals in MLB. They were also one of the most valuable teams before they imploded on the field. IIRC it was something worth over $400 million over 20 years. Their TV territory covers much of the Pacific Northwest, the Northern Rockies and Western Canada.

This was largely a direct result of the Mariners success in the 90s and early 2000s.

When they netted Ichiro, it got them television contracts in Japan. Having Reyes-Pujols-Hanley-Ozzie on the same team makes this a possibility throughout Latin America. The Marlins would negotiate contracts to have games shown on TV and broadcast on the radio in Venezuela, the Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico. Not the wealthiest of places, especially compared to Japan, but it's potentially millions of dollars they didn't have before.

I believe that is one of the reasons they are going after Latin players so hard and MIAMI is on the home uniform. They are not only selling to Latins in Miami, but Latins in several countries and media companies as the capital of Latin America and thus LA's team.

Miami also has a large number of companies from South America that have large corporate offices in Miami. There is money there that goes recorded off the books in publications such as Forbes. Miami is always low on the list of Fortune 500 companies, because that only measures American companies.
            Last edited by Party; 12-04-2011, 11:47 PM.

Comment

i imagine there's a lot more tv money to be had in Japan than there is in Latin America

getting Pujols would obviously be awesome but his contract is going to be so inflated and I'd kind of like to see him be a career Cardinal anyway since my family is full of Cards fans

pencil me in for Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by radler View Post
                i imagine there's a lot more tv money to be had in Japan than there is in Latin America

getting Pujols would obviously be awesome but his contract is going to be so inflated and I'd kind of like to see him be a career Cardinal anyway since my family is full of Cards fans

pencil me in for Wilson
                Absolutely. It's a much larger population and much much much more affluent. However, it is still worth a good chunk of change if done right.

Comment

Lets sign Yu Darvish instead.

Comment

If we have a shot at Pujols, I'm guessing it's possible to sign BOTH Wilson AND Buehrle if we don't get Pujols? It doesn't seem like Wilson is going to get the amount of money he wants.

If not both of those guys, one + another good SP in the FA market doesn't seem out of the question, no?

Especially since every time they ask Beinfest, he's said that SP would be the priority.

This is really exciting.

Comment

These aren't # of households, which is important. Just to throw these numbers out there:

Number of televisions:

DR: 1.021MM
                      VEN: 4.1 MM
                      PR: 770K

Radios:

VEN: 10.75MM
                      DR: 1.44MM
                      PR: 2.7MM

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJzuTAwkdp4[/ame]

Comment

I would almost imagine that we have enough dough to sign Pujols and at least one of Buehrle/Wilson. It would be too irresponsible for the front office not to address the rotation and just hope they can trade for an arm. I think we sign at least Pujols and one of the lefties or both of the lefties and not Pujols.
                          This is a Dolphins town, though.

"Fuck, what've they done?'' --Ozzie Guillen

I am dead set against free agency, it can ruin baseball. --- George Steinbrenner

2010 SoFlaMarlins Fantasy Baseball Champion
                          Edmonton Ice Bats
                          2007 Teal League Wildcard
                          2008 Teal League Wildcard

2009 Teal League Wildcard
                          2010 Teal League Wildcard
                          2011 Teal League West Division Winner

Comment

hey Knucks...

can you add Hammer on your checklist... just for smiles?

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
                              I would almost imagine that we have enough dough to sign Pujols and at least one of Buehrle/Wilson. It would be too irresponsible for the front office not to address the rotation and just hope they can trade for an arm. I think we sign at least Pujols and one of the lefties or both of the lefties and not Pujols.
                              This would put our payroll at something like approximately 140 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                                This would put our payroll at something like approximately 140 million.
                                Around $125-130 million if they can find a way to dump Nolasco.
                                Last edited by TheMendozaLine; 12-05-2011, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X