No announcement yet.

Marlins Sign Heath Bell to 3 year, $27 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shenanigans? Aren't you suppose to pistol whip those involved in shenanigans

Comment

• Jim Bowden on XM just went on a 15 minute rant about how great of a signing this was for the Marlins and pointed mostly to how Heath is a great guy to have in the clubhouse and makes every single pitcher on the team better from his mentoring. He was saying how Heath will be excited to mentor the young guys like Hoffman did for him.

Comment

• I move their posts around. That is enough.

Comment

• As I said before the offseason began, we were going to sign a closer.

Other than the Braves and maybe Giants, is there a team in the big leagues with a deeper bullpen than ours right now? If we're going to have a mediocre rotation, this certainly helps.
          --------------------
          Also, the post that was deleted was just me saying that Bell wasn't a product of Petco and that he's developed into a better pitcher the past 3-5 years.
          Last edited by Erick; 12-02-2011, 01:41 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I'd say the Yankees.

Comment

• Bowden must have received a lot of heat on twitter the past two days because his next 20 minute rant has been on the credibility of twitter and how he only tweets information he receives from baseball execs or agents. Basically just talking about the Heath Bell signing and that he was almost positive the Marlins were the team going to sign Bell but he decided to withhold that information.

Comment

• He's full of crap.
                --------------------
                bobbob posted this on Twitter:

Last edited by Party; 12-02-2011, 02:20 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I don't understand why people exclude stats but yell at MIBs for doing it for Volstad.

Sample size. Each of those years is, what, 30 IP on the road?

Comment

• nny, what are you suggesting?

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                      I don't understand why people exclude stats but yell at MIBs for doing it for Volstad.

In some instances he pitched more on the road than at home or near even.

Comment

• He's a closer

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
                          nny, what are you suggesting?
                          That I don't like people beings mibs.

BTW

The last 2 years, Volstad has pitched roughly the same amount of IP as that bell sample size.

Removing Volstad's 9 worst starts the past 2 years (37 IP compared to Bell's 39.1 road IP in 2008) lowers him a 3.76 ERA, compared to the 4.73 ERA he actually put up.

REMEMBER: DON'T BE A MIBS.

Comment

• I'm confused, you just be'd a mibs.

Comment

• No.

Being a Mibs is saying "Remove these stats and look, the player is a lot better than the full stats show!"

I'm showing that removing the same sample size that people removed for Heath Bell for Volstad shows Volstad improving greatly. But that's stupid, because Volstad is not that good, and they know that. So it's showing them to not do it for Bell (or any other player)

I hate it when people do it. I especially hate it when they KNOW it's dumb because they berate Mibs for it, but then do it themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by nny View Post
                                I don't understand why people exclude stats but yell at MIBs for doing it for Volstad.

It's more telling than bringing up his stats back when he was a different pitcher.

It's like the John Baker trade analysis on fangraphs when Lou joked how fangraphs was evaluating the trade based on what Baker was doing three years ago.

The last 3 seasons combined, he (Bell) has a 2.43 ERA away from Petco.

Petco certainly helps all pitchers, but I don't understand those who say that he's been a product of Petco; home/road splits say otherwise.
                                Last edited by Erick; 12-02-2011, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X