Is the National Media Right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shane2 View Post
    I understand this is a negotiation, but what does a lower offer than is already on the table from the Cardinals do for negotiations? Does it show the Marlins are interested? I would think Albert and his agent already know this from the meeting. If he isn't going to leave for less money, why offer less? It makes no sense. The Marlins know they will have to at least meet the Cards offer. I'm not a GM but I don't see how this helps the process of bringing Albert down to Miami. If they know they don't want to spend that much on him, then why make an offer? They could just ask him during the meeting if he would be willing to play here for less than what is offered in St. Louis. If he says no, don't make an offer and focus elsewhere.
    There are A LOT of aspects of a contract offer that the public/media would have no knowledge of.

Comment

Originally posted by fauowls44 View Post
      So you were OK with Wayne, who failed in his attempt to get a stadium so he dismantled a Championship team and sold it. You were were OK with John Henry, who lied about building a stadium himself, then cried poor, couldn't get state funding, and then found $700 million to buy the Red Sox. Yet you hate/distrust the people who stuck with the team even after many failed ballpark plans to finally get the park built and save baseball in South Florida?? That makes sense.
      lmao, what?? believe i answered that question a few posts up. not my fault we've had some pretty bad ownership groups. but only one was hired by mlb to liquidate a franchise. but since u seem to know your mlb ownership history so well, i guess u know that already.

i never said i was ok with them. might wanna reread what i said.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
        Cliff Lee took less money to go to Philly, Jered Weaver took less money to stay in Anaheim and not test free agency because he likes it out there. Javy Vazquez turned down more lucrative 2 year deals to sign with the Marlins last year.

And this is ignoring, no one knows what the Marlins or St. Louis offers are to sufficiently compare them and see if they are in the same ballpark or not.

To dramatic. I'm sure the Marlins didn't insult him.
        I agree. Being upset about offers that we don't know the details of is silly. Also, there were reoprts that the cards offer never hit $200 million either. Not to mention that when you factor in that Florida has no state income tax, $190 million offer here is worth just as much as, or more, then $200 in St. Louis.

Comment

There are several reasons why a player might accept a contract offer that is actually lower. Besides lou's point above, not all money is equal. For example, a contract in Missouri would be subject to 6% state income tax and an additional 1% in St. Louis taxes. On a $220 million contract that amounts to $15.4 million. Essentially a $204.6 million contract offer from the Marlins is the same as a $220 million offer from the Cardinals in terms of money. Since we don't actually know what the Cardinals offer was it is possible the Marlins' offer was under $200 but still "more" than the Cardinals offer.

Second, money today is worth more than money tomorrow. Basic economics. Maybe the Marlins are frontloading the hell out of the deal, saying that they know they'll have the revenue streams this year and next but might not toward the end of the deal. Maybe they'd be willing to give Albert 30+ the first few years of the deal and decrease the value thereafter. $30 million in 2012 is worth more than $30 million will be worth in 2018.
          Originally posted by Madman81
          Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
            Why are people calling it a low offer when all we know is that the deal is 9 years long? Also, it seems people are unaware of how contract negotiations work.
            I don't have much familiarity with the tactic of attempting to entice a player by offering him a contract inferior to the one he currently has on the table. It must be a novelty. Perhaps they pulled it from the bible on Nouveau Negotiation.

Comment

Originally posted by ....J.... View Post
              lmao, what?? believe i answered that question a few posts up. not my fault we've had some pretty bad ownership groups. but only one was hired by mlb to liquidate a franchise. but since u seem to know your mlb ownership history so well, i guess u know that already.

i never said i was ok with them. might wanna reread what i said.
              My point was that you dislike this ownership despite the fact that they are, by far, the best owners this team has had. They could have easily moved this team and few people would have blamed them. They have never had a chance to run a team that wasn't being dragged down by a bad stadium and the worst lease in sports. I'd judge them on what they do going forward. The fact that they saved baseball here buys them some credibility in my book.

Comment

Remember when everyone was all like "FUCKING LORIA SHOULD DIE" when JJ's agent said he didn't think the contract would get done?

Making crazy proclamations based on rumors and hearsay is really silly. We don't know how much the Marlins or Cards have offered.
                poop

Comment

Originally posted by TheMendozaLine View Post
                  I don't have much familiarity with the tactic of attempting to entice a player by offering him a contract inferior to the one he currently has on the table. It must be a novelty. Perhaps they pulled it from the bible on Nouveau Negotiation.
                  No one knows what either team is offering...

Comment

Also just to answer the thread question.... the National Media is never right about anything ever.

Comment

This is all Big Z's fault
                      --------------------
                      Originally posted by TheMendozaLine View Post
                      Since you know what is being offered in each contract, please keep us updated more often. Preferably through twitter so that MH can keep us updated.
                      Last edited by Beef; 11-17-2011, 03:13 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                        Remember when everyone was all like "FUCKING LORIA SHOULD DIE" when JJ's agent said he didn't think the contract would get done?

Making crazy proclamations based on rumors and hearsay is really silly. We don't know how much the Marlins or Cards have offered.
                        I also want to point out that JJ got the richest contract ever for a pitcher with his years of experience (just trumping Greinke if we all remember) at the time JJ signed the deal.

Marlins are a bunch of dickheads
                        --------------------
                        Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                        Also just to answer the thread question.... the National Media is never right about anything ever.
                        Especially the AP
                        Last edited by lou; 11-17-2011, 03:25 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

General public, national media....general media?

Comment

Welcome to SoFlaMarlins.com, shane2

With that said, no WAY I'm reading all of that. I would maybe read a CrimsonCane post that long but he's about the only one.

Mods who is in charge of editing posts?

Comment

Really?
                              poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                                Really?

Having a sense of humor. You're doing it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X