Bilingual Preference at Job Fair Drawing Criticism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilingual Preference at Job Fair Drawing Criticism

When the Marlins unveiled their new colors and logo last Friday, owner Jeffrey Loria said the team had three objectives: to be cool, to reflect Miami, and to have international appeal.

Juan C. Martinez, the Marlins’ director of multicultural marketing, acknowledged that with the team’s Spanish-speaking base, seeking out bilingual job candidates this week was a priority. The job fair’s website said the same Tuesday morning.
    But some critics in high places objected, arguing the Marlins would be wise to consider all-comers.

Miami-Dade Commissioner Barbara Jordan said her office had been inundated with phone calls asking why the Marlins were only hiring bilingual candidates.
    “All of us need to try and contact the Marlins. I’m sure it was an error — at least I hope so,” Jordan said.

Then came Commissioner Jean Monestime, who like Jordan, said he has been flooded with calls: “This is insulting, frankly. It’s still the public’s money.”
    By 2:30 p.m., the online disclaimer was gone.

“It’s a miscommunication on the website,” said Marlins spokesman P.J. Loyello. “It’s certainly not a requirement. The website will be changed.”
    Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/1...#ixzz1dsOrvOFk

Best offseason ever
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

Comment

It's not a requirement, just something that you need to have.

Comment

Sorry but if you don't speak Spanish and live in Miami, you're at a huge disadvantage.

Comment

Oh?

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
            Oh?
            You don't think?

Comment

I know it.

Comment

If you're in the market for a sports-related job in Miami and don't speak Spanish, I hear the Miami HEAT would love to have you.

"Stay White!" - Micky Arison

Comment

If you want to work for a baseball team in Miami, you probably should have learned Spanish and I have zero sympathy for anyone complaining about such things. After studying Korean for a few months, I've realized that Spanish is ridiculously pathetically easy for an English speaker to learn if you really want to.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

You are actually in a different country.

Comment

You are not incorrect.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Now you know

Comment

Working...
                        X