No announcement yet.

Marlins Sign Jose Reyes to 6 year, $106 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He'll be the every day center fielder unless something changes. He's earned a starting job.

It's amazing how some people (Todd) make up their mind about something and that's just how they feel about it forever, no matter if they get proven wrong or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Todd View Post
      Meh. He was awful his entire career until last year. He still didnt walk much and struck out a ton. He should have a very short leash as last year could very will prove to be entirely flukey.
      Among ML CFers last year, his walk rate would have ranked 10th. His K rate would have ranked 12th.

I don't think he's a 3 WAR player like he was last year, but he should be able to eke out a .700 OPS and 2 WAR. Nothing wrong with that.
      poop

Comment

• How do you keep him in center when you want to rest Hanley, Reyes or Infante? That should be at least 40 games or about 1/4th of the season.

Comment

• Play Petersen and/or Cogs

Comment

• Sign a backup infielder?

Seems pretty simple to me.

Comment

• No.

Comment

• they did sign nick green lol. boni wil play CF everyday unless why sign the cuban

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                  Sign a backup infielder?

Seems pretty simple to me.
                  A backup middle infielder is not going to outhit Petey or Coughlan. In addition to that Petey showed he can be at least an good 4th OF and you have to evaluate Coghlan to see if he actually just fell off the planet or has actual value. Yeah you could start Coghlan at 2nd or 3rd and shift the infielders as needed but that does not create the greatest value to the club. And he is a middle infielder who can field his field his position. I'd think he would like to play there over the outfield.

You can clearly use that additional bench spot to keep a better offensive player who will be much easier to find when being able to play middle infielder is necessary criteria. Doing this allows you to sign a Posada type. I am not saying I want Posada but he did hit .770 last year and keeps an emergency catcher on the roster. I'd actually be a fan of Andruw Jones. Which further supports this methodology by using the natural infielders that we have starting in the outfield to fill in at there natural positions when those respected starters need a day off.

Comment

• MIAMI -- The Marlins New Ballpark may not exactly be the House that Jose Reyes built. But with its spacious outfield, the state-of-the-art stadium promises to be a place to watch Reyes run.

Speed is a big part of Reyes' game, and there are few indications that the new building will slow the new Miami shortstop down.

After signing a six-year, $106 million contract with the Marlins, Reyes is changing uniforms after being with the Mets since 2003. But the switch should not alter his overall play, because his new home field matches up favorably to his old one.

Triples, especially, were commonplace for Reyes at Citi Field. Look for more of the same in Miami.

"It's a big ballpark," Reyes said of the Marlins' new stadium. "There's going to be a lot of triples, like I did in New York. If I hit the ball in the gap, 99 percent of the time, I'm going to try to make it to third base. That's the kind of player that I am. Nothing is going to change that, whether it is a small or big [ballpark]."

The triple is regarded as one of the most exciting plays in the game, and Reyes has made them appear routine.

Since he made his debut in 2003, the four-time All-Star has 99 triples, second to only Carl Crawford (106) in that span. Four times Reyes has led the National League in triples, including tying Shane Victorino with 16 in 2011. He also paced the NL in three-base hits in 2005, '06 and '08.

"I think any park is a triples park for Jose," Marlins president David Samson said.

The Marlins New Ballpark's gaps are rangy, with the wall being at 386 feet in left-center and 392 in right-center. And with the deepest part of the park being 422 in center, Reyes should have plenty of chances to show off his speed.

Reyes' former home, Citi Field, was known for its wide dimensions. The Mets have since reconfigured the park, moving in the fences for the upcoming season.

In addition to accommodating triples, the Marlins also want their new ballpark to be pitcher-friendly and take advantage of the home team's speed.

"We hope it's a pitchers' park," Samson said. "With Jose, we said we wanted the grass to be long because, 'We want to use your speed at the top of the lineup, and with you and [Emilio Bonifacio] at the top of the lineup, having long grass is the way to go.'"

New manager Ozzie Guillen projects Reyes leading off, while hitting Bonifacio second and Hanley Ramirez third. In terms of speed, that top trio should rank among the best in the big leagues.

"If [Reyes] leads off the game with a double, you have Bonifacio who can easily get him over and Hanley drives him in," Samson said.

The last time the Marlins had so much speed in their lineup was in the days of Juan Pierre and Luis Castillo. The duo helped the club win a World Series in 2003.

"We just feel like we're rebuilding the Pierre/Castillo/Pudge [Ivan Rodriguez] top three with Reyes, Boni and Hanley," Samson said. "We won a ring with those three, and hopefully we'll win a couple with these three."

New look for Jose?

Though fans may be used to seeing Reyes speeding around the bases, one thing will look different in 2012. The Marlins have a team policy regarding grooming, and when Spring Training rolls around, the shortstop plans to get a haircut.

"It's going to go. I need to cut to it off," Reyes said. "When I get to Spring Training, it's going to be a new look for me. No hair. It doesn't matter to me. In the past, I didn't have [long] hair. It's not going to affect my game at all."

Just because Reyes won't be sporting his familiar dreadlocks doesn't mean he won't feature another distinctive look.

"I will start talking with my barber and see what I'm going to do," he said. "It's not going to be long hair, but I'm going to do something."
                    New Marlins park plays to Reyes' strength

Comment

• Originally posted by jay576 View Post
                      A backup middle infielder is not going to outhit Petey or Coughlan. In addition to that Petey showed he can be at least an good 4th OF and you have to evaluate Coghlan to see if he actually just fell off the planet or has actual value. Yeah you could start Coghlan at 2nd or 3rd and shift the infielders as needed but that does not create the greatest value to the club. And he is a middle infielder who can field his field his position. I'd think he would like to play there over the outfield.

You can clearly use that additional bench spot to keep a better offensive player who will be much easier to find when being able to play middle infielder is necessary criteria. Doing this allows you to sign a Posada type. I am not saying I want Posada but he did hit .770 last year and keeps an emergency catcher on the roster. I'd actually be a fan of Andruw Jones. Which further supports this methodology by using the natural infielders that we have starting in the outfield to fill in at there natural positions when those respected starters need a day off.
                      Well, this whole debate is pretty moot since we re-signed Donnie Murphy and he'll likely make the team in the role I was talking about.

Comment

• that pic of Bell and Reyes is outstanding

Comment

• I think we need a deal with it .gif for it.
                          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Hugg wins poster of the century with that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X