No announcement yet.

Marlins Sign Jose Reyes to 6 year, $106 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Marlins are so enamored with All-Star shortstop Jose Reyes that they were in contact with the player at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, the moment the free agent signing period could begin. A contingent of high-ranking front office executives for the Marlins were spotted at Miami International Airport on Wednesday headed for New York, where Reyes' agent, Peter Greenberg, keeps his offices.

If the Marlins were able to sign the Mets shortstop, it would necessitate a position change for Hanley Ramirez, something he said in September that he would welcome and accept. "It would be nice to play next to him," Ramirez said at the time. "He's an energy guy."

Reyes is considered one of this year's "Big Three" position-player free agents, along with Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder. He has battled a myriad of injuries the past three seasons that have cut into his playing time. He made two trips to the disabled list this past season with hamstring issues, but still managed to play in 126 games and qualify for the league batting crown with a .337 average.

Reyes, 28, isn't the only marquee name the Marlins are targeting. They will be sending a contingent of 13 people -- including Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria -- to the Dominican Republic on Thursday to take a look at five-tool center fielder Yeonis Cespedes, a 26-year-old Cuban defector. Cespedes is expected to receive clearance to begin talking with major league teams later this month and could command a $30 million figure to sign.

"The Marlins love him," according to one source with knowledge of the team's interest.

Some believe Cespedes is major league ready. If so, and the Marlins were able to sign both he and Reyes, it would likely put Ramirez at third base. Ramirez is recovering from September shoulder surgery, but the Marlins believe he'll be ready for April 4 when they open their new ballpark against the World Series champion Cardinals.
    Marlins Talking to Jose Reyes

Comment

This is so awesome
      God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
      - Daft

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        I'd expect them to trade Lomo for a cheap starter if they signed a position player. Especially if they also sign the Cuban kid and expect him to play right away.

SS Reyes
        LF Boni
        3B Hanley
        RF Stanton
        1B Gaby
        CF Cespedes
        2B Infante
        C Buck
        I'm not sure about Reyes because of the contract he'll probably get and there are teams concerned about his past injuries.

That would be a really fun team to watch, though...

Comment

That lineup would be pretty sicknasty. If we keep LoMo it has a bit more pop, if we don't then we have LF for resurrection of the Cogs or Emilio.
          There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

I don't love Reyes 5 years from now, but I would definitely not hate signing him. That would have the potential to be an excellent defensive team, too.
            poop

Comment

I just came.
              LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch7DxkwFp6Q&feature=related[/ame]
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

I don't know about Reyes. Any type of player that has a history of injuries brings about some warning signs. Not sure I'd be willing to throw major cash at a guy like Reyes. Wouldn't be upset with the signing, the thought of Reyes and Hanley at the top of the lineup is drool worthy. However, I'm a bit skeptical as to Reyes' production long term. Last season was crazy for him. I just think there's a chance a contract like $85 million to Reyes could turn into a mini Carl Crawford albatross deal.

Go get that Cuban kid and bring me a lefty starter by the end of the month.

Comment

Reyes WARS

05 - 2.3
                    06 - 6.1
                    07 - 5.8
                    08 - 6.4
                    09 - .8 (36 games)
                    10 - 2.9 (133 games)
                    11 - 6.2 (126 games)

He averaged even with the injuries a 4.35 WAR ages 22-28. If you take out 09 which was basically a no year, 4.95. I mean, a 5 year deal is 29-33, i.e. almost entirely his prime. I'd be super comfortable at $12, wouldn't mind at $15, worth a gamble at $18 a year with the new park. Prince is in this same WAR range at 1B, Pujols will destroy the books in 6 years.

And the team probably nets another win moving Hanley off SS defensively, and would be the only player he wouldn't cry about it for. Not that, that accounts into Reyes potential salary, but it's at least a footnote and an area the team should improve in.

I gamble with Reyes over Prince/Pujols, but that's me.

Comment

Good post, lou

Yeah I'd be way more comfortable with Reyes/FA Starter instead of Prince Albert

ehe

Comment

This is the part in the movie where the montage of FA and offseason highlights starts playing.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
                          I don't know about Reyes.

[ . . .]

Go get that Cuban kid and bring me a lefty starter by the end of the month.
                          You don't know about Reyes.

You also don't know about the Cuban man. I get that he is cheaper, but he is still pretty expensive for such an unknown.

Comment

High-ranking Marlins executives traveled to New York to make a pitch for marquee shortstop Jose Reyes at 12:01 a.m. last Thursday, the very second teams could begin courting free agents.
                            Miami Herald

Comment

old news, Z

Comment

Sources: #Marlins will meet with Buehrle on Tuesday, Reyes on Wednesday and Cespedes on Thursday. #MLB
                                -Heyman

poop

Comment

Working...
                                X