No announcement yet.

Marlins Sign Jose Reyes to 6 year, $106 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I refuse to believe the ridiculous notion that they hadn't/haven't explored moving Hanley before getting this aggressive with Reyes

Comment

• Also, I love how so many "sources" say they know the current offer on the table and yet nothing has been made public. In this day of social media, shit leaks in a hurry and to think that 0 numbers are out there right now is amazing and yet there's an "MLB exec" somewhere hating on the deal while four radio hosts hate on it while five CBS/ESPN/twitterpeeps believes its an substantial offer.

For once, it looks like something hasn't leaked. Kinda cool.

Comment

• Hanley is mean to old people, children, and dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
          Hanley is mean to old people, children, and dogs.
          I was okay with that until I got to dogs.
          Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

• And now this stupid shit is going to spread like wildfire.

Comment

• According to "sources" the offer to Reyes was 6/90. I'll get the article now.

Comment

• It’s not just that the Miami Marlins want Jose Reyes.

Reyes also wants the Marlins.

One source who has spoken with Reyes says the free-agent shortstop is intrigued not only by playing in Miami but also by playing for manager Ozzie Guillen, a former major league shortstop.

Another advantage for the Marlins is that Reyes, after spending his entire career with the Mets, no longer would play his home games in cold or inclement weather. The warm climate of Miami might help him avoid leg injuries, and the team’s new ballpark will feature a retractable roof.

The Marlins made Reyes an offer last week, major league sources say, and also offered deals to at least three other free agents — first baseman Albert Pujols, left-hander Mark Buehrle and closer Ryan Madson.

Many in the industry are skeptical of the Marlins’ sincerity, believing that the club will make offers that are competitive, but not good enough to accept — and that the players will sign with teams that have better chances to win.

The Marlins’ offer to Reyes was six years, $90 million, according to one source; the team is declining comment. Obviously, the offer was not tempting enough for Reyes to accept immediately. But it was only a first offer.

The Marlins, if they sign Reyes, plan to move shortstop Hanley Ramirez to third base. They have not discussed the possibility of moving Ramirez to center field, still viewing him as an infielder, sources say.

The question is whether Ramirez is even open to moving from shortstop. Clark Spencer of The Miami Herald reported on Twitter late Monday night that Ramirez is “not at all pleased at the prospect of changing positions if the Marlins sign Reyes; the two aren’t the friends that many portray.”

Could the Marlins trade Ramirez?

It would not be easy; Ramirez, 27, is coming off shoulder surgery and the worst season of his career. However, he has three years and $46.5 million remaining on his contract, and a team in need of a shortstop or third baseman likely would consider him an intriguing option.
                Reyes thinking long, hard about Marlins

Comment

• Thanks MH. If 6/90 is their offer, I guess we still have a while to go. Good start though.

If this is the offer to Reyes, I'm guessing Pujols is about 23/yr, which would not be bad, but it's not enough. Maybe Loria wants to get them all, discounted.
                  Last edited by Big Z; 11-15-2011, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• Just playing devils advocate here, but if we are to believe that what we hear in the media is all that is going on, we're also the only team to have made a substantive offer to Reyes. There's no need to bid against yourself (especially if he wants to come here), I'm a little upset the we already went six years, but maybe that's what needs to happen to get it done.
                    --------------------
                    But, I must admit this leaked offer is deflating.
                    Last edited by Swifty; 11-15-2011, 08:13 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Just give the guy 6/100 and get it done. He wants $100 million and apparently the Marlins want to go long term with him. I also preferred to give him 3 years guaranteed and then options for the next couple of years, but it doesn't look like this is going to happen.

Comment

• And it's also drastically different than Olney's. Olney broke the McKeon comeback so I'd probably defer to "his" Marlins source, but 5 years for around $100 mil is significantly different from 6 years at $15 per.

Comment

• Sedano says he's been hearing the same thing the Fox Sports report mentions about Reyes really wanting to end up down here.

Comment

• I had an email back-and-forth with Sedano in 2007 a couple weeks into the season. Sedano said the Heat were still the best team in the East when healthy. I told him how ridiculous it was and he told me they have New Jersey coming up and they can beat them and continue their slow climb.

The Heat won 15 games.

He's the worst. He got his info from the article. I have also heard what he heard.

Comment

• I mean, who wouldn't want to play down here? (besides Buehrle since there's 100% chance he stays in the Central).

It's true what Sedano says, the NBA is in a lockout, and obviously the Dolphins are terrible. If we are able to create enough hype, we might start getting new fans and packing up that ballpark. Now is our chance, we need to reel everyone in and make this a baseball town.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
                                I had an email back-and-forth with Sedano in 2007 a couple weeks into the season. Sedano said the Heat were still the best team in the East when healthy. I told him how ridiculous it was and he told me they have New Jersey coming up and they can beat them and continue their slow climb.

The Heat won 15 games.

He's the worst. He got his info from the article. I have also heard what he heard.
                                His show gets the GM, president and manager weekly interviews during the season so it isn't a stretch to think he knows people within the organization. I get you hate him but he isn't someone that would just go around making stuff up.

Also he has to cover the team sometimes for CBS4.
                                Last edited by MiamiHomer; 11-15-2011, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X