No announcement yet.

Marlins Sign Jose Reyes to 6 year, $106 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even selling "high" I think he's still worth more to us as a super-sub. I don't imagine he'll bring much in return.

Comment

• Emilio is worth way more to us than he is to anyone else.

Comment

• @JoeFrisaro: Speculation is out there that #Marlins would ask Hanley to play CF. May seem like good move on paper. Reality, no way H2R would do that.
        /Twitter

Comment

• With Hanley's shoulder issues, really don't want him playing CF and trying to dive for balls in front and behind him.
          poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
            Even selling "high" I think he's still worth more to us as a super-sub. I don't imagine he'll bring much in return.
            This.

I truly expect Bonifacio to be an extremely valuable asset to this team in the coming years.

Comment

• Hi guys

Did we sign Jose Kings yet?

Comment

• SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
                Brewers gm melvin said he's talked to reyes' reps once but too early to gauge chances. With prince all but gone, hear reyes top target
                Back off, he's ours.

Comment

Even selling "high" I think he's still worth more to us as a super-sub. I don't imagine he'll bring much in return.
                  Someone will overpay for him. His numbers werent all that dissimilar from Infante's last w/Braves and he brought back a pretty good run producer to the Braves.

That bein said I still think Bonifacio has move value to us, but only as a non-starter. He can still get 400 AB's, he'll just have to play a few positions.

Also, no way Hanley agrees to go to CF.

Comment

• MILWAUKEE -- New York Mets general manager Sandy Alderson has spoken with the representatives for Jose Reyes since the free-agent shortstop's visit last week to Miami. And Alderson is under the impression that Reyes is not signing quickly with the Marlins ... or anywhere else.

Then again, Alderson noted, closer Jonathan Papelbon already has signed with the Philadelphia Phillies. So you never know.

"I've said in the past, these things typically go slowly," Alderson said on Monday afternoon, after arriving at the Pfister Hotel ini Milwaukee for the annual GM meetings. "But apparently Papelbon is already signed."

Alderson said he does not expect Reyes' agent, Peter Greenberg, to meet with teams at the GM meetings because Greenberg is out of the country.

ESPN's Buster Olney expects Reyes ultimately will land with the Marlins for five years at $90 million to $100 million.

As for the Mets' dialogue with Reyes, Alderson said: "We've had some conversations. I wouldn't classify them as substantive -- more than phone tag. ... I don't want to get into any detail. But I also while saying I don't want to comment, I don't want to give you the false impression that we are anywhere along the road. I still think it's early, notwithstanding all the background noise from the last week."

Alderson expects to be given a chance to make an offer once it gets late in the process.

"Nobody has promised us we'll have the last clear chance, but I would expect we would continue to talk with Jose's agents," Alderson said. "It's been amicable to this point."

If Reyes were to end up with the Marlins, or anywhere in the division, the Mets would see the 2011 NL batting champ 18 times a season.

Alderson confirmed Ruben Tejada would be the shortstop in Reyes' absence. He did not commit to Daniel Murphy being the primary second baseman in that scenario, but that is expected to be the case.

"I don't think Jose ending up anywhere outside the Mets is ideal," Alderson said. "In terms of in the division or out of the division, ultimately that's not something we control."

It would be a double-whammy if Reyes ended up with the Marlins. Miami picks ninth in the draft, which means its first-round pick is protected. That means the Mets would get Miami's second-round pick for losing Reyes, not the Marlins' first-round pick.

"That's not something we can control, so it's not something I can worry about," Alderson said.

Alderson added that he is working under the assumption that the existing draft-pick compensation rules will be in effect for free agents signed this offseason. Major League Baseball and the players' union are nearing a new collective bargaining agreement that will alter the way draft-pick compensation works.

"I'm operating on the assumption, the presumption I guess, that the old rules will be grandfathered in for next season," Alderson said. "But I don't know that."

Alderson has suggested the Mets' payroll could go from $140 million this past season to less than $100 million on Opening Day in 2012.

Asked if the payroll constraint was fueling the Mets' approach to Reyes, Alderson said: "I wouldn't say that's strictly the case -- that if the payroll were higher we would definitely re-sign Jose. I wouldn't say that was necessarily the case."

Alderson added that dialogue with other teams is not far enough along that he can conclude that the Mets do not have a shot at re-signing Reyes.
                    Mets GM discusses Jose Reyes' future

Comment

• Alderson's comments all but say he won't be a Met

Me likey

Comment

• Marlins shortstop Hanley Ramirez is not at all pleased about the prospect of changing positions if the team signs Jose Reyes, a source tells Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald (via Twitter). Spencer adds that the two players aren't the friends that many portray.

Late last month, club president David Samson said that the Marlins haven't discussed moving Ramirez away from shortstop or asking Ramirez about a position change. A representative for Ramirez also said that the Marlins hadn't asked the soon-to-be 28-year-old to move from shortstop.
                        MLBTR

Didn't know he was this bothered.

Comment

• He isn't. It's a nonsense "sourced" rumor.

Comment

• Does Ramp know this for sure? Or speculating?

Just curious.

Comment

• Had to make sure to offset the positive story with something negative. Wouldn't want to lose the Hanley is a cancer storyline.

Comment

Does Ramp know this for sure? Or speculating?

Just curious.
                                I know for sure that he is not at all bothered by Jose Reyes and they get along fine.

also, what Hugg said

Comment

Working...
                                X