X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sedano saying its "almost a done deal" a minute ago

Comment

• Where?

I think Reyes is here for the ceremony tomorrow, no doubt. He can be our house warming gift.

Comment

• SedanoShow Jorge Sedano
        Marlins returned from Cespedes workout. Source tells me Reyes "almost a done deal." Team also inquiring about A's Gio Gonzalez availability.
        2 hours ago

Comment

• That has already been posted in this thread.

Comment

• That says 2 hours ago, not a minute ago.

Comment

• It was a retweet which I just got 15 min ago. Settle, settle...

Comment

• Originally posted by Valid View Post
                I probably should have mentioned that I am assuming we move LoMo to 1st very soon.
                It'd be awkward to put both Pujols and Morrison at the same position
                God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                - Daft

Comment

• Posted on Fri, Nov. 11, 2011
                  Marlins’ Ramirez: ‘I’m the shortstop right now’; Pujols to visit

By DAVID J. NEAL
                  dneal@MiamiHerald.com

Hanley Ramirez says he would welcome having Jose Reyes as a teammate.
                  But Ramirez wouldn’t say whether he would welcome a position switch to third base if the Marlins signed the free agent shortstop.

“I’m the shortstop right now and I consider myself a shortstop,” Ramirez said at a fundraiser Thursday outside the team’s new ballpark.

The Marlins met with Reyes in New York last week and again Wednesday, but have not yet spoken to Ramirez about possibly moving to third if they end up signing Reyes.

“I think he’s a really good player,” Ramirez said of Reyes, whom he also considers a friend. “Everybody knows that. This organization needs him. It’s good when you see the front office put the best team they can on the field.”

But, despite being asked repeatedly about his thoughts on moving to third, Ramirez stuck to his position that, as of now, he considers himself to be the team’s shortstop.

“My whole life I’ve been a shortstop,” he said. “I’m a shortstop.”

Marlins president David Samson said “we’ll jump off that bridge when we get to it” when asked if Ramirez would move to third if Reyes is signed.

“Hanley is the face of our franchise,” Samson said. “He is our superstar. I’d leave it at that. No matter who we sign, Hanley is always the person for me who is the most important person on our team.”

Ramirez said he is ahead of schedule in his recovery from September surgery on his left shoulder and expects to be ready for spring training.

Reyes isn’t the only player the Marlins are courting. Sources said Albert Pujols, who is the hottest item on this year’s free agent market, will be coming to South Florida to visit soon. They had free agent pitcher Mark Buerhle in for a visit Tuesday and were in the Dominican Republic on Thursday to look at Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes.

“A lot of us took a long look at Mr. Cespedes,” Samson said of the 26-year-old outfielder. “We were with him for quite a few hours. We had our top scouts there. We had our top baseball people there. They were certainly impressed with his ability.”

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria was also on the scouting trip.

The Marlins are among many teams interested in Cespedes, who is expected to receive free agent status soon. But Samson said he think the Marlins offer advantages to Cespedes other teams can’t match.

“We think we’re a great fit because we’re Miami and we are a natural destination for any Cuban player, any Latin American player,” Samson said. “We are the gateway to the Americas. We are the Miami Marlins, and I think that he agrees. But we have to see if we can make a deal that makes sense for both parties.”
                  Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/1...#ixzz1dPA9XZED

Comment

• Fellas who understand the computation of WAR better than I do:

I assume a SS is the "most" valuable player on the IF; where's #2...?

And, all other things equal, is a .850ish OPS more valuable coming from 2B or 3B in terms of WAR computation?

Comment

• joecapMARLINS joe capozzi
                      For what it's worth, I'm told by one person that while #Marlins would love 2 get Albert, their main realistic targets are Reyes and Cespedes
                      Not surprising as we are seeing it play out that way.

Comment

• Reyes, Cespedes > Pujols.

We have a hole at 3B & CF, not 1B.

Comment

• Swift, 2B and 3B receive roughly the same positional adjustment in Fangraphs' WAR.

Catcher: +12.5 runs (all are per 162 defensive games)
                          First Base: -12.5 runs
                          Second Base: +2.5 runs
                          Third Base: +2.5 runs
                          Shortstop: +7.5 runs
                          Left Field: -7.5 runs
                          Center Field: +2.5 runs
                          Right Field: -7.5 runs
                          Designated Hitter: -17.5 runs
                          poop

Comment

• So, for my own clarity, if Player X puts up a 7.5 WAR at SS he's really worth 0 and curved to a 7.5?
                            --------------------
                            No, wait, that's runs not wins. Never mind.
                            Last edited by Swifty; 11-11-2011, 10:58 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Yeah, runs. SO while Hanley loses roughly half a win by moving to third, it's not inconceivable to think he could make it up defensively.
                              poop

Comment

• Ok, so dumb hypothetical, but if 2B and 3B are more or less equally valuable, and Hanley and Jose are roughly the same 5ish WAR player (unless you believe Hanley is done or Jose stays super-Jose) why isn't there equal talk about moving Reyes "back" to 2B instead of Hanley to 3B.

Unless we know someone really wants Dominguez. In which case, cool, that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X