2011 Record: 72-90

Pythagorean Record: 72-90

Pending Free Agents: IF Greg Dobbs, IF Jose Lopez, SP Javier Vazquez

Prospects on the Verge: 3B Matt Dominguez

Building For: Their new stadium, so long in coming

Strengths: Power, youth, the new park

Biggest Holes: Centerfield, second base, ownership, health

Targets: SP C.J. Wilson, SP Hiroki Kuroda

The Plan: The Marlins' season was crushed by injuries, as their best players, starting pitcher Josh Johnson and shortstp[ Hanley Ramirez, combined to play less than a full season, and Ramirez was limited in the time that he did play. The hope is that both will return healthy and effective in '12, and combine with Mike Stanton, Anibal Sanchez and glove man Dominguez to form the core of a contender that will fill the new downtown ballpark. It's not a bad plan, but it is high risk -- Johnson has never been healthy for more than about 18 months at a clip, and Ramirez's left shoulder injury just adds to the questions about him. Did Ramirez peak at 25, or can new manager Ozzie Guillen get him back into the best-player-in-baseball conversation?

The team needs Ramirez, because without him, it's terrible up the middle. John Buck is a career backup stretched as a regular behind the plate; there is no second baseman or centerfielder at the moment, although Emilio Bonifacio will probably lay claim to one of the positions heading into next year.

Bonifacio's .360 OBP was a mix of BABIP fluke and improved walk rate, but I have a hard time seeing a player with a 23 percent strikeout rate and Bonifacio's lack of power sustaining the .296 BA that drove the OBP. He, like Buck, is a good bench player stretched in an everyday role.

The real issue is whether the Marlins will use the projected bump in revenues to add a free agent. Gaby Sanchez is an asset at first base, but signing Fielder or Pujols would free him up for trade bait to add a centerfielder. A starting pitcher such as Wilson is a nice fit, as Wilson is more a mid-rotation guy and would slide in behind Johnson on this team, and there's an argument that Wilson's stuff would be better suited to a bigger park in the NL than anywhere else. What the Marlins have to avoid is the big mistake; last year's deal of Maybin to San Diego for two middle relievers was a complete waste of a valuable asset. Do that again, and no amount of new venues will help them get back to contention.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sct=mlb_t11_a1

Do they not know Infante exists?
    There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

and calling Buck a career backup seems silly (unless you're Swift)

Comment

I'm fine with penciling Bonifacio as the CFer with Coghlan a ST contender to get his spot back. It's not like Emilio won't play a ton anyway if he's not the starter.
        There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

Biggest Holes: Centerfield, second base, ownership, health
          This made me lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaydge View Post
            Do they not know Infante exists?
            Truthfully, I missed that he'd re-signed. And no, I don't think he's an answer.
            --Sheehan's response

Comment

If the question is who will start for us at 2B then he is an answer.
              There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

Did someone ask Sheehan a question about whether Infante is an answer? Or did he just start his response by saying "no" anyway?

Comment

This Guy is such a Negative Namaste.
                  There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef View Post
                    Did someone ask Sheehan a question about whether Infante is an answer? Or did he just start his response by saying "no" anyway?
                    I wrote him this:
                    did you forget about Omar Infante with the Marlins or are you just regulating him to the bench?

Comment

He knew your next question would be whether or not Infante is an answer.

I can't wait until CC bans him from this site.

Comment

I just don't like how smugg he comes across. Like a Joe Buck in text form.
                        There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

This guy has lost all credibility with me already.
                          LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

He doesn't think Infante is an answer because he forgot he existed yet still wants to act smug in his all-knowingness.
                            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Sheehan is so hit or miss. His stuff a few years back on the steroids scandal was absolutely top notch, but his player analysis leaves much to be desired at times.
                              poop

Comment

Working...
                              X