Dan LeBatard Says Goodbye to Joe Robbie Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluff Piece: Dan LeBatard Says Goodbye to Joe Robbie Stadium

Goodbye to a ballpark: Looking back at the Marlins’ tenure in Sun Life Stadium

By Dan Le Batard
    dlebatard@MiamiHerald.com

Funny, the things you remember, faded but alive, like paging through photographs in an old scrapbook:

Center fielder Chuck Carr, always wearing a leather jacket with his face painted on the back. Second baseman Bret Barberie, talking about why he was still a virgin. Shortstop Walt Weiss, teaching me about Warren Zevon. Manager Rene Lachemann, storming across the clubhouse in his underwear to yell at me. Catcher Benito Santiago, looking through a rich man’s catalog, trying to buy a dog that was blue.

Leathery ol’ Charlie Hough, surrounded by so much young and serious ambition, emerging from the trainer’s room with an ever-present cigarette tucked inside his smile. Backup catcher Bob Natal, introducing me to the writing of Michael Crichton. Big, burly pitcher Jack Armstrong, showing off his lovely singing voice with the aid of the echoing acoustics in the bathroom. Trevor Hoffman, so young then, 601 saves ago, coming out of the bullpen with his cap pulled super low on his head to face Barry Bonds because he was scared and trying to hide. Orestes Destrade and Jeff Conine and Rich Renteria and Dave Magadan, genuinely trying to help me be better at my job.

What I’ll remember most, though, is that I grew up there. It was my first sports home.

I wasn’t ready, of course. I was a kid, a rookie being asked to be Major League. I had one thing in common with the 1993 Marlins: We were both new to the game. They lost a lot, and I was lost a lot, but you always remember the place you did your growing, right? I was raised a few blocks from the ballpark, in Miramar, a kid with a paper route who wanted to become those guys whose work I kept tossing on neighborhood lawns. And now I was in the big leagues a few blocks from my childhood, talking to a last-place team’s second baseman about his virginity, but in the big leagues nonetheless. I didn’t much care that it was actually a football stadium. You don’t notice the furniture in your best dreams.

Years later, my mother would struggle to leave that old house on Granada Boulevard. But, Mom, I said, it is just drywall and a ceiling. The best stuff, you always take with you, and it stays with you forever. And isn’t that where we are today, as the Marlins have outgrown the rundown home of their birth? They play their final home game there Wednesday, but nobody is going to get unnecessarily romantic. Only the box and wrapping and ribbons are left behind. The gifts, we take with us.

It is kind of a sad dump for baseball now, truth be told, too empty too often and too wet, too. Nobody will much miss it, even though a lot of good stuff happened in that place. Everything ages, and what once was modern is now merely spent, and not in the valuable way of antiques or heirlooms, either. But there are two precious jewels in that dumpster, forever. That has to make Cubs fans insane, that you can go to Wrigley Field and find no such jewels in that treasure chest.

I’ve been covering football and baseball games for almost two decades in that stadium near my childhood — wow, that’s a lot of bad football and baseball — but there are two that stay with me more than the others. The Super Bowls? No. The World Series? No.

One was going to the park on a whim with my father, for his birthday, a last-minute decision, just he and I. I almost always went to the stadium to work, not to have fun, though I suppose my livelihood makes those two things synonymous. And, if we did go as fans, it was with family and friends in tow. But on this night Dad wanted to go with just me, so we bought two tickets, sat in some seats behind home plate, ate peanuts, laughed and started punching each other in the arm and elbowing each other as the outs accumulated at the end. There were plenty of seats available. It was a meaningless regular-season game. But the birthday gift turned out more priceless and memorable than any other. It was the only Marlins game my father and I have attended alone, just the two of us. And we couldn’t quite believe that Anibal Sanchez chose that night to throw his no-hitter.

I can’t imagine how many of the fathers and sons know how good that kind of sharing feels, sports as a glue that bonds generations, and I can’t imagine how many times two of the seats in that building held that feeling.

The other game was even more personal, believe it or not. Most people around here will remember 1997 for the Game 7 triumph in the World Series, Craig Counsell hitting home plate and lifting all of South Florida off the ground, but that was just the punctuation for me, not statement. Liván Hernández, a Cuban symbol, let me into his life during that playoff run, allowing me to trail him in the streets and at home as Miami fell in love with him and his tale. This was before he fell to his knees in the outfield grass shouting, "I love you, Miami!" in an accented English familiar to all of South Florida. His was a uniquely Cuban and uniquely Miami story. He came over alone, defecting in search of a better life, and his mother couldn’t sleep at night back in Cuba, having actual nightmares about her little boy scared in the United States streets, carrying his luggage and lost. But he built a world for himself here, and Fidel let his mother come over to enjoy it, something that would have never happened had the Marlins not kept winning. To me, the national anthem echoed a little louder on those nights he pitched, especially the World Series evening when his mother was in the skybox and Liván whispered to me through a smile that she’d never be going back to Cuba, the American dream and his dream coming together on a diamond, baseball the bridge to freedom.

The day he beat magician Greg Maddux in the playoffs, striking out 15, pitching a complete game with the aid of a generous umpire, well, that’s as emotional as I’ve ever been covering a sporting event. Aspiring to objectivity, with tears stinging in my eyes. My parents are Cuban exiles, stronger than I’ll ever be, sacrificing so much so I never would. Hernández told their story that day, sports as metaphor, overcoming all obstacles with will and passion and fight and courage and spirit and hope and help. He stood triumphant at the center of my first sports home, blocks away from my childhood, and he pounded on his heart. His moment. Our moment. I don’t remember the score or any of the other details, but I remember exactly how he looked and exactly the feeling that brought. All these years later, I still can’t keep it down. It wells up in my eyes as I type these words.

Alas, it is time to take all those pictures off the wall now. Pack them up today. The trucks have arrived. Look back and say goodbye one final time.

Time to move.

A moving time.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/2...#ixzz1ZDfzsJsL
    --------------------
    The greatest JRS memory I will always remember was being 13 and jumping up and down with the grandfather and mom after Game 4 of the NLDS in the 400. I knew then as a baseball fan that few things would be able to top that feeling.
    Last edited by Party; 09-27-2011, 11:52 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

My greatest JRS moment is the inaugural game in 1993 I was 11 years old. I remember having seats in section 456 all the way in the last row at the top of the section under the scoreboard. I just remember being so overjoyed with happiness just being there watching my MLB team in my own town, I no longer had to root for a team far away from my city.

I have had plenty of great moments at JRS. I remember opening day of 1997 seeing the sold out crowd and hearing the crowd yelling aH-LLLOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUU. My little cousin turns to me and asks why are they booing him, I said they're not booing him they're saying aH-LLLOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU.

In 2002, I was in the Fish Tank watching a game and Kevin Millar was photographed catching a fly ball in RF. Well, I happened to be in the background about 15 feet ebhind him on the rail watching him catch the ball with me and a bunch of open seats behind me by myself, the funny part was my dad was next to me but he was not shown. The caption in the Herald read "All alone, Almost", I was Almost, it was awesome.

The whole 2003 playoffs was probably the greatest sports month of my life. I went to every playoff game. I had seats in the fish tank section 126 row 1 seat 6. It was the best sports experience of my life especially the games against the Giants were just epic. I'll never forget Josh Beckett's insane performance in game 5 of the NLCS.

Plenty of lows and a few highs but the highs were awesome.

Comment

My first game at JRS was in 1997 against the Astros, I was able to make it back for a few opening days in the early 00's. The stadium means nothing to me but some fun things happened there.

Now it's time for business to pick up.
      There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

My first game at JRS was back in 2009 (first time I had the finances to make the trip). I sat through a 2 and a half hour rain delay.

Comment

I'm going to cry like a freaking baby today. I'm probably one of seven people who feel this way, but the new place has a lot of work to do to feel like home.

Comment

The 2003 NLDS final game is definitely my favorite memory at Joe Robbie. The atmosphere Miami sports fan can create when they give a shit is incredible. It was also the last my family all went and did something together before my parents separated, so that's kinda special as well.

My last Marlins game at Joe Robbie ever was June 8th. We lost to the Braves. Fuck Dan Uggla.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
              I'm going to cry like a freaking baby today. I'm probably one of seven people who feel this way, but the new place has a lot of work to do to feel like home.
              I've gotten teary-eyed twice today already. Once when Paul and Young Ron had an audio montage of great Marlins moments and reading this.
              --------------------
              Originally posted by Fish Tank Frenzy View Post
              I remember opening day of 1997 seeing the sold out crowd and hearing the crowd yelling aH-LLLOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUU. My little cousin turns to me and asks why are they booing him, I said they're not booing him they're saying aH-LLLOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU.

I had the exact same moment except I was your little cousin and the man behind me was you.
              Last edited by emkayseven; 09-28-2011, 07:53 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
              Originally posted by Madman81
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
              Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I hope they put that on their website.

Comment

One of my first major purchases as an adult - a partial season ticket package to the 2003 season. What a magical year that was. Me and a good buddy of mine went to 35-40 games together that season. I didn't realize it at the time but it was the last year we both lived in the same town together as he has gone on to do work that has him going from place to place. I will miss buying the cheapest seat in the stadium and being able to move to the best seats in the house, but hopefully that will end up being a good thing for the franchise.

Comment

My first Marlins home game was a day game in July of '97. Against the Padres. It was hotter than hell and they got destroyed. Still one of my best baseball memories. My Grandpa, who got me into baseball and the Marlins took me to that game. We had a blast despite the heat/losing so badly. Basically solidified me being a lifelong Marlins fan.

Not living near South Florida. I think I only attended about 15 games at JRS. Mostly on three road trips with friends and then a one off here and there. But I still find myself a little bummed today. There's nothing I'm really going to miss about the stadium itself. Its just an awful baseball stadium. But definitely some good memories.

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgr7aeFjNFk[/ame]
                      --------------------
                      [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTuKeHwxzh8&feature=related[/ame]
                      Last edited by Party; 09-28-2011, 09:37 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

The '03 division series was the best series ever played there. When I think of purely baseball memories that you can point to a picture on a wall or a video somewhere and say that's Pro Player when everything is going right, that's it for me.

My memories are a real mashup of the early years and after when I got my license and started going religiously. Going in '93, Walt Weiss was my favorite player (because he hit a triple on opening day). My dad taking me to every game in '97 that Kevin Brown pitched, even if I skipped class for it. But then, after the "renaissance" of '03-'05 what really became the stadium for me was the relationships that I developed with people in my section (I'm the only one left, everyone else is gone) and the stadium staff. FWIW, the security/ushers/servers don't think they're getting the contract for the new place. To me, those are the people that made the ballpark great for me, I could go by myself and not feel like a weirdo because I'd know people there. A lot of them I've known basically my entire life. One, Sid, I've known longer than either of my brothers have been alive. It's terrible that I may never see them again. I don't care what the sight lines are, or what they game day temperature is, if it's a cold barren corporate ballpark, it's just not the same. I'm going to miss the nights of 4,000 people on a Wednesday. I'm going to miss being able to go to a game, sit down and not have to hear people ask the same dumb ass questions I hear now at the AAA. I really hope we're really really good, because that's about the only thing I'm looking forward to about the new place.

Comment

pumped it's the last game it that shit hole

Comment

Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post

My memories are a real mashup of the early years and after when I got my license and started going religiously. Going in '93, Walt Weiss was my favorite player (because he hit a triple on opening day). My dad taking me to every game in '97 that Kevin Brown pitched, even if I skipped class for it. But then, after the "renaissance" of '03-'05 what really became the stadium for me was the relationships that I developed with people in my section (I'm the only one left, everyone else is gone) and the stadium staff. FWIW, the security/ushers/servers don't think they're getting the contract for the new place. To me, those are the people that made the ballpark great for me, I could go by myself and not feel like a weirdo because I'd know people there. A lot of them I've known basically my entire life. One, Sid, I've known longer than either of my brothers have been alive. It's terrible that I may never see them again. I don't care what the sight lines are, or what they game day temperature is, if it's a cold barren corporate ballpark, it's just not the same. I'm going to miss the nights of 4,000 people on a Wednesday. I'm going to miss being able to go to a game, sit down and not have to hear people ask the same dumb ass questions I hear now at the AAA. I really hope we're really really good, because that's about the only thing I'm looking forward to about the new place.

It's awesome that you have a lot of great memories of the stadium (especially the ones with your Dad) but I very much care what the sight lines are (shitty) what the game day temperature is (ridiculously humid with a constant threat of rain) and I will never, ever miss 4K people watching a Major League Baseball game.

Comment

I have enjoyed all y'alls stories far more than I enjoyed LeBatard's article

Comment

Working...
                              X