Stark: Marlins Might Go After Jose Reyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stark: Marlins Might Go After Jose Reyes

Stark reiterated on his segment on the Sedano Show that he continues to hear about the Marlins considering Pujols/Fielder/Reyes.

Reyes makes no sense if we pay Infante to be a starter. As it is, he makes little sense.

Comment

Hanley said he'd move to 3rd for Reyes.

Comment

That'd be a bad idea.

The team doesn't need a $20 million leadoff hitter. And they certainly don't need to try to accommodate one.
        --------------------
        Let's just say we're in the "spend for the sake of spending" mindset, if I had the ultimate decision (assuming all are in the same $20-25 mil range) it'd be:

(1) Pujols
        (2) CJ Wilson & Beltran
        (3) Fielder
        (4) Reyes.
        --------------------
        Plus, let's just say we wanted Reyes because we really want a leadoff hitter (dumb, but whatever,). Doesn't Juan Pierre on a one year $2 million deal make a lot more sense (and do basically the same thing)?

The other guys, yeah it's need (power, consistency, durability) Reyes is redundant (Bonifacio) and there are decent second tier options in free-agency.
        Last edited by Swifty; 09-15-2011, 09:13 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I think they're talking to Reyes entirely for marketing purposes. There are a significant amount of people who show up vs Mets games to root specifically for him. That may be who they're trying to tap into.

With that said, I can't imagine he's anywhere close to the priority that Pujols should be.
          God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
          - Daft

Comment

I don't think the idea of Reyes being redundant is the atgument of being against signing him. I think it's just basically on health.

Comment

I dont think Reyes would be a bad addition. I also don't see him reaching 20 Mill a year. I wouldn't be against him at about 15 over 7 years.
              "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
              - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

I would be all for Reyes.

Also, this talk with big names is so for me

Comment

Reyes is a 5 WAR player. Pierre is a 1.5 WAR player. Saying you can get anywhere near the same production Reyes would give out of Pierre is a complete lie.

Fielder has posted above a 5 WAR once in his career and he's a DH. He makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not sure the contract Beltran is looking for but anything big would be a mistake.

Pujols is one of the best players in the game today and it would be a huge signing for the team to generate more interest in the club.

Pujols or Reyes is definitely for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
                    Plus, let's just say we wanted Reyes because we really want a leadoff hitter (dumb, but whatever,). Doesn't Juan Pierre on a one year $2 million deal make a lot more sense (and do basically the same thing)?

The other guys, yeah it's need (power, consistency, durability) Reyes is redundant (Bonifacio) and there are decent second tier options in free-agency.
                    Reyes is much more than a leadoff hitter, you know this.

Comment

My biggest concern with Reyes is durability, I am not sure I'd want to go the amount of seasons with Reyes as he would want.

With Pujols, even if he's injured he's still an elite player, and he's still a draw at the box office even at 38 and broken down. The same is not true of Reyes.
                      Originally posted by Madman81
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

C Buck
                        1B Gaby
                        2B ?
                        3B Doming
                        SS Hanley
                        RF Stanton
                        CF ?
                        LF LoMo

C Baker
                        1B/3B ?
                        OF Petey
                        2B/SS Boner
                        utility CC

Ok so here is the roster as I see it set for next year. Yes CC, Doming, and Petey may all end up sucking but that is worse case scenario and 2 of those guys are pencilled in on the bench.

So there are 3 holes in this situation. 2B you want to resign Infante. That leaves 2 holes CF and 1B/3B. I'm just going to throw a name out for CF with David DeJesus. The guy hits right handers and you platoon him with Boner who hits lefties. I expect Dejesus to have a lower price tag with his horrible season this year posting a .676 OPS. You are probably all like why the f do you want this guy. He is posting a .769 OPS against righties this season down from his career rate of .813. Between him and Petey, someone should be able to hit right handers and platoon in center. 1B/3B you are just looking for a right hander with some success pinch hitting. This bench is young but meant to be used meaning those starters are expected to be given plenty of rest during slumps.

This all could be changed if we experience a huge signing like Pujols or Reyes. In which case you would most likely trade someone that is already club controlled. In the case of Pujols or Fielder being signed Gaby must be traded. Although he may still have 1 year club control left which you can try and use him until the right deal arises but in either situation he has no future past 2012 on this team. In the case of Reyes, you could present him with the option of playing 2B. I don't think he would go for it and I also believe his defense would be worse at 2B then at SS. Hanley has allegedly already said he would move to 3B for Reyes. That leaves Doming as a trade piece but you have a little more time to make a deal than with Gaby. Doming is most likely more flexible a player than Gaby but moving him around the diamond would take away his best asset which is defense at the hot corner. You could see if Hanley or Reyes would move to CF but thats probably a no from either party. A Beltran signing would require no corresponding moves.

A Pujols signing may be better for the club in regards to gaining fans interest but I think if compared value to the team baseball perspective over the entire length of the contract Reyes is the better option. I think either one would help with Hanley's diva complex.
                        Signing Beltran for anything over 2 years is definitely not for me. I think he would want 3-4 year deal at the very least. It wouldn't be worth it.
                        Signing Fielder would be a mistake no matter what. He is bound to get worse defensively. Also you don't know if your going to get the .870 OPS or the 1.000+ OPS fielder. If you were expecting that .950+ OPS every year its a little easier to give him a contract but he may end up hitting .870 for the next 10 years and you greatly overpaid. At least with Pujols, you get the biggest name, a good defense player, and a much better hitter and a much more consistent player.

Loria could always go Yankees and sign Reyes and Pujols along bring back Vazquez and sign a legit number 1-2. I think we may be favorites for the division then.

Comment

Really starting to wonder if Logan comes back next year

Comment

Reyes played 4 full seasons from 05-08. 161, 153, 160, 159 games played in those years. He played 133 last year and 111 so far this year. He's really not as big of an injury risk as you think.
                            --------------------
                            I hope not but I don't think anyone has said about the team actively trying to move him so you have to pencil him in. What type of starting pitching do you think LoMo can net?
                            Last edited by Jay; 09-15-2011, 01:56 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Originally posted by jay576 View Post
                              I hope not but I don't think anyone has said about the team actively trying to move him so you have to pencil him in. What type of starting pitching do you think LoMo can net?
                              Hopefully, 2007 Matt Garza. Lomo's actual MLB production is a lot better than Delmon Young's was at the time, but Young was a higher prospect, so it evens out.
                              poop

Comment

Working...
                              X