No announcement yet.

The Ozzie Guillen Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozzie Guillen was 17 minutes into his introductory news conference before someone raised what many see as the biggest issue for the new Marlins manager.

How will he handle the postgame questions about his strategical moves?

Not so much from the media, which generally hasn't bothered Guillen, but from his bosses?

From owner Jeffrey Loria to president David Samson to baseball czar Larry Beinfest, the Marlins have a widespread reputation for being, shall we say, demanding of their managers.

Jack McKeon never minded the back and forth, but it drove Joe Girardi to the breaking point, undermined the confidence of Fredi Gonzalez and caused Edwin Rodriguez to walk away from his dream job in midseason.

Now, along comes the wildest Ozzie since Sharon Osbourne's hubby, and everyone seems to be rubbing their palms together in anticipation of the fireworks.

"I know the way baseball thinks," Guillen said. "I look forward to the challenge."

If Guillen had all those paint-scraping arguments with White Sox General Manager Kenny Williams, a former big-league outfielder, how is he going to react to even the gentlest of suggestions from the Marlins' braintrust?

"I've known them for a long time," Guillen said. "I say, 'When you're going to ask me a baseball question, make sure you bring your book with you,' because I'll be ready for it."

When I asked McKeon if he had any advice for Guillen along these lines, he smiled and said it would be up to Ozzie to "figure out the landscape" for himself.

"He knows pretty much," McKeon said. "He's been here before."

It should be pointed out that, like McKeon, Guillen has a World Series title on his managerial resume. They are the only Marlins skippers during Loria's ownership who could make that claim.

That should buy some leeway for Ozzie, as should the fact he has championship equity in this franchise going back to his two-year stint coaching third base (2002-03).

The Marlins, mind you, are hardly the only modern front office that likes to stop by and see the manager after the game. You know, to chew on the big decisions of the night.

It happens in Boston, where Terry Francona is stunningly out after two championships in eight years.

It has happened in Oakland for more than a decade. Witness the aggrieved dyspepsia with which Philip Seymour Hoffman portrays former A's manager Art Howe in Moneyball.

Long gone are the days when a manager had the first, last and only say in the way a big-league ballclub was run. It's more of a group effort these days, but Beinfest insists the Marlins' reputation for being difficult is undeserved.

"I'm not sure where a lot of that comes from," Beinfest said. "I don't feel that way. I don't know about former [Marlins] managers, if they felt that way."

Good one, Larry.

"I would say that I don't go into the clubhouse very much after a game unless we have business, and generally there's not a lot of second guessing," Beinfest said. "I don't usually talk a lot about game strategy or, 'What happened there?'"

Beinfest says he talks "more about the usage and the personnel: 'Did we have the right people? Did you have the right people in that situation to use? Do we need to tweak this or that?'"

That's a long way from insisting on lineup changes and batting orders, to which Beinfest pleads innocent.

"I think it's going to work really well," Beinfest said. "Ozzie knows us. He seems very open. He's been here. He knows what's going on."

Guillen, meanwhile, said he understands he's "here to be criticized because that's our job." But in the next breath, he called after-the-fact critiques a "cheap shot," saying such input must come in real time to have any validity.

Yep, this is going to be quite an experiment.

Better bring your book, fellas.
    How will Ozzie Guillen get along with the Marlins braintrust?

Comment

• Jack McKeon never minded the back and forth, but it drove Joe Girardi to the breaking point, undermined the confidence of Fredi Gonzalez and caused Edwin Rodriguez to walk away from his dream job in midseason.
      I like how after I read this I knew it was a Berardino piece. I checked the main site-- it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by flamarlins3 View Post
        It's not like the Sox were going to win a championship with Dunn batting 8th or out of the lineup.
        Perhaps not, but there were several better options out there. And seriously you would play Dunn as a pitch hitter in the late innings of a close again against the division leader when you are still in the race?

Comment

• Originally posted by Texsox View Post
          Perhaps not, but there were several better options out there. And seriously you would play Dunn as a pitch hitter in the late innings of a close again against the division leader when you are still in the race?
          I mean he was still walking a bunch

Comment

• sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-marlins/fl-florida-marlins-three-things-1002-20111001,0,3147542.story

South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Three Marlins Guillen needs to fix, three free agents he needs to lure, three worry-free areas

By Juan C. Rodriguez, Sun Sentinel

4:59 PM EDT, October 1, 2011

advertisement

Three areas of minimal concern for Guillen

Team defense: One bright spot for the Marlins in an otherwise forgettable season was the defensive improvement. The Marlins totaled 93 errors after averaging 118 a year (123 in 2010) over the last six seasons. Having the slick-fielding Omar Infante at second base helped. The Marlins recognized that and gave him a two-year extension.

Middle relief: This may be among the few offseasons the Marlins don't feel like they have to rebuild the bullpen. The relief staff was a strength much of the season and finished with a 3.44 ERA, sixth-best in the National League. Making that all the more impressive was the Marlins' bullpen totaled the fourth-most innings (515 1/3). Guillen does need to find a closer.

Flexibility: With a .296 average, .360 on-base percentage and 40 steals, Emilio Bonifacio established himself as an everyday player. Fortunately for the Marlins, they're not locked in to using him at one position. Bonifacio could be the Opening Day guy at any number of spots depending on how the Marlins choose to allocate their free agent dollars. Bryan Petersen also showed at worst he can be a serviceable fourth outfielder.

Three players Guillen needs to fix

Hanley Ramirez: Health aside, Ramirez when he was on the field did not perform to his capabilities. A former batting champion, he was hitting .200 with a .596 on-base plus slugging percentage as late as June 20. Guillen recognizes the offensive success of the 2012 Marlins hinges on Ramirez playing like the superstar he's been in the past.

Ricky Nolasco: Ricky Nolasco should have Yovani Gallardo's numbers: 17 wins, a 3.52 ERA with 200 innings and 200 strikeouts. He got the 200 innings this season, but he won just 10 games with a 4.67 ERA, struck out 148 and led the NL in hits allowed. If the Marlins decided to keep Nolasco, Guillen has to get more out of him.

Logan Morrison: Perhaps what irked the Marlins most about Morrison's season was that he generated more headlines for off-field stuff than on-field performance. Morrison showed good power in his first full year (23 homers), but the .247 average and .330 on-base percentage each was a good 40 points less than what fans should expect from him.

Three free agents Guillen needs to lure

Aramis Ramirez: Coming off their worst offensive season in franchise history, the Marlins need another bat. Albert Pujols or Prince Fielder would be nice, but the Marlins are unlikely to dump $250 million or more on one player for the next eight or 10 years. Aramis Ramirez would be a great fit. He doesn't hurt you with the glove, and he buys time for Matt Dominguez.

Mark Buehrle: If the bidding for C.J. Wilson gets out of hand, the Marlins should turn their attention to Mark Buehrle. He won't come cheap either, but the White Sox left-hander has proved durable and a winner for more than a decade. He's reached double-digit wins and topped the 200-inning mark in each of his 11 full seasons.

Frank Francisco: With the Juan Carlos Oviedo (a k a Leo Nunez) situation unresolved, the Marlins need ninth-inning options. Guys like Jonathan Papelbon, Heath Bell and Ryan Madson will demand plenty of money and years. Francisco should command less coming out of Toronto. His rates over the last three years are similar to Oviedo's, but Francisco has done it in the more challenging AL.

Copyright © 2011, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

--------------------
            The 1993 Marlins scored fewer runs. I had no idea we were that bad offensively.
            Last edited by Party; 10-01-2011, 09:06 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I like it like it.

Gladly take Aramis and Buehrle along with some health to our stars.
              There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• Aramis is playing Hanley's position, though
                God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                - Daft

Comment

• Who is playing short?
                  poop

Comment

• Love Francisco

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                      Who is playing short?
                      Reyes, clearly
                      God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                      - Daft

Comment

• Oh.
                        poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaydge View Post
                          I like it like it.

Gladly take Aramis and Buehrle along with some health to our stars.
                          that team competes for 3rd place year in and year out in the NL East

Originally posted by Metes View Post
                          Love Francisco
                          he gives up the long ball at a pretty high rate, even taking into account he pitches in the AL East and ur now back up to dumb money for a setup man

Comment

• Francisco has pitched exclusively in the #1 and #4 hitters parks in the bigs, HRs are gonna happen. Career 1.1 HR/9 at home (TEX and TOR), 0.7 away

Move him to a massive pitchers park like ours and he'll do well. He walks a few but I love a K rate that sits right around 10

Comment

Working...
                            X