Infante, Marlins Working on New Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infante, Marlins Working on New Contract

ATLANTA -- When the Marlins move into their new ballpark in 2012, Omar Infante hopes to be part of the transition.

Eligible for free agency after the season, Infante has made it clear he wants to remain with the Marlins.

There is mutual interest, and negotiations are ongoing regarding a contract extension that would keep Infante in Miami for at least one more year.

"I want to come back," Infante said Wednesday afternoon. "I want to stay here and play every day."

According to a source familiar with the negotiations, ground still needs to be made up in the multiyear deal. But there is a chance Infante could reach agreement before the end of the season.

If nothing is agreed upon, Infante could file for free agency after the World Series. As of now, indications are the Venezuelan infielder will sign before that.

The Marlins acquired Infante, who will turn 30 on Dec. 26, along with reliever Mike Dunn from the Braves for Dan Uggla last November.

Infante has played a Gold Glove Award-caliber second base, making six errors in 132 games.

At the plate, he's hitting .279 with five home runs and 43 RBIs.

While with the Braves, Infante signed a two-year, $4.325 million contract in 2009. The deal included a $2.5 million club option that the Marlins picked up for this year.

Florida's payroll projects to jump to more than $70 million -- perhaps as high as $80 million -- in 2012. It was about $58 million this year.

The Marlins already have five players locked up at $45.25 million for 2012, which will be the inaugural season at their retractable-roof ballpark near downtown Miami.

Hanley Ramirez will make $15 million in '12, and Josh Johnson is slated to earn $13.75 million. Ricky Nolasco ($9 million), John Buck ($6 million) and Randy Choate ($1.5 million) round out the veterans signed for next year.

Ramirez, Johnson and Choate are currently on the disabled list.

Despite a 67-81 record, Infante sees a promising future with the Marlins.

Infante feels the team can turn things around if it improves its starting pitching.

"I like the new ballpark," Infante said. "I like the young players on this team."
    Infante, Marlins working on new contract

This is very good news.

Comment

Yes, this is very much for me

Comment

for me as well
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

I also like the new ballpark.
          There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

if this is true, it makes the marlins much better next yr provided the get a 3rd basemen. boni moves back to super upility guy and our bench becomes infinitely better

i edited this

Comment

Originally posted by ....J.... View Post
              if this is true, it makes the marlins much better next yr provided the get a 3rd basemen. boni moves back to super upility guy and our bench becomes infinitely better

i edited this
              Bonifacio is going to start next year.

Comment

Boni is @ 3b next yr..

Comment

Or CF.

Comment

certainly not gonna argue boni w/u guys, but theres no way hes a starter.....his value is in playin every other position on the field....he'll get 300-400 abs, which is where he needs to stay

Comment

As a utility player.I hope.
                      "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                      - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by ....J.... View Post
                        certainly not gonna argue boni w/u guys, but theres no way hes a starter.....his value is in playin every other position on the field....he'll get 300-400 abs, which is where he needs to stay
                        Infante's most valuable as a super-utility guy too.

That doesn't mean those guys shouldn't start, ever.

Bonifacio, right now, is a better player than Infante, Dominguez, and whoever you'd have playing CF next year. He's definitely starting next year.
                        Last edited by Erick; 09-14-2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...tinel+Blogs%29

First contract offer to Infante: Rejected. Sounds like they'll wait to continue negotiations 'til after the season.

Comment

Working...
                          X