Javier Vazquez Pondering Retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Javier Vazquez Pondering Retirement

For the first two months of the season, it looked like Javier Vazquez might have trouble keeping his spot in the Marlins’ starting rotation.
    On May 15, Vazquez’s ERA reached a season-worst 7.55.

But since June 16, no Marlins starter has been more dependable than Vazquez, who has gone 4-3 with a 2.26 ERA, 41 strikeouts and 10 walks.
    But despite his impressive turnaround, it’s likely this season will be the 35-year old right-hander’s last.

“I know what I want to do already. I’ve talked to my family about that and basically this could be my last year,” Vazquez said Tuesday, a night after giving up just one earned run against the Mets over seven innings.

“This could be it for me. The hunger is still there. But I think God puts my priorities in order. Baseball is probably third right now.”

Vazquez, who has three children ages 8, 6, and 3, signed a one-year, $7 million contract with the Marlins before this season. He has 159 victories — currently ranking 10th among active pitchers — 158 losses and a career 4.28 ERA. He’s the active major-league leader in strikeouts (2,462) and ranks third with 2,769 innings pitched.

“He and [ Josh Johnson] are probably the two hardest-working starters we have when it comes to the weight room,’’ catcher John Buck said.

“His big difference this year has been his fastball. When he was struggling, he was throwing 88 to 89. [Monday] his last strikeout hit the gun at 94. He’s still got good stuff in the tank. But unless his son asks him to play another year, he probably will just go home to be with his family.”
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/0...a-marlins.html

That's a shame, he'd have been good for next year.

JJ
    (FA Lefty)
    Ricky
    Anibal
    Javy

Hand/Sanabia/Volstad

Comment

Oh, come on, Javy! Come back for $4 mil next year!
      poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        Oh, come on, Javy! Come back for $4 mil next year!
        Right, that's about the max they could offer if they go big on Wilson/Buerhle for a lefty and plan on having a bench. That would be great.

Another side note name, I always have liked Paul Maholm and he'll be 29. He will be cheaper, and does have some upside with a little control. Wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. Just saying.

Comment

Any chance Hensley is auditioning for a #5 slot??? He's only had 1 year as a starter in SD, and the #'s where perfectly acceptable to slide into the backend of our rotation next year.

Comment

I'm sure that is a possibility, but you're talking about easy $2.5 million in arbitration and that might not be smart compared to other 5th SP options based on his health history.

Comment

J Hensley's good year as a starter was quite some time ago. His performance this season carries most weight in any decision.

Comment

Working...
              X