Miami Marlins All-Time Greatest Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
    Really, if '04 had ended better, of we didn't get Manzanillo'd, Lo Duca's HR is the #1 moment (non-championship related) and it's probably not all that close.

Then there's that second tier of significant with things like Hermida's grand slam, Miggy's walk off, etc.

Then the third tier of stuff that you remember because it was significant (Luis 35) but nothing jumps to mind as defining.

The Championship/postseason stuff is its own animal.

The "debut" games are largely overrated. Lo Duca's had one moment, and it was spectacular. He didn't get 5 AB's and thrive in one (like Miggy). He got in on a direct flight from LA, didn't even have a proper jersey on (LODUCA) and homered on the first pitch he saw. Incredible.
    Lo Duca is definitely the gold standard. I don't think I've ever been more excited in a regular season game as a sports fan in my whole life, no joke. The only thing you can compare being in that stadium to is a wrestling match where the face's music hits in the middle of the match and he comes out and kicks all sorts of ass, though only if no one had ever heard the music before. Maybe if Jericho had debuted in WWF by running in during a main event or something.

But I'm not sure the other three are overrated. Sure, maybe Cabrera's is only a big deal because it was a walk-off and what became of that season/his career. Maybe Hermida's is only cool because it was a GS instead of a HR (like CJ), but he's still only what, one of three guys ever to do that? And it's hard to forget Bonertron going inside the park on us in his first game. Speeeeeeeeeeeed
    Last edited by Omar; 08-04-2011, 12:28 PM.
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

Comment

• Originally posted by Omar View Post
      Lo Duca is definitely the gold standard. I don't think I've ever been more excited in a regular season game as a sports fan in my whole life, no joke. The only thing you can compare being in that stadium to is a wrestling match where the face's music hits in the middle of the match and he comes out and kicks all sorts of ass, though only if no one had ever heard the music before. Maybe if Jericho had debuted in WWF by running in during a main event or something.

But I'm not sure the other three are overrated. Sure, maybe Cabrera's is only a big deal because it was a walk-off and what became of that season/his career. Maybe Hermida's is only cool because it was a GS instead of a HR (like CJ), but he's still only what, one of three guys ever to do that? And it's hard to forget Bonertron going inside the park on us in his first game. Speeeeeeeeeeeed
      Cabrera's was the third player since 1900 to win a game with a HR in his debut. Calling it overrated is borderline ignorant

Bonifacio's was a really exciting one tho

Comment

• I would say boner is memorable because almost everyone spent the spring shitting on him and he proved us wrong in a big way (even if it didn't last.)
        --------------------
        Originally posted by Erick View Post
        No, UZR aside, Gary Sheffield makes Mike Stanton looks like the best outfielder ever. I'll let you decide who that is.

Maybe you and bob will stop trying to argue everything I say, someday.

This is pretty ridiculous. Gary Sheffield fucking sucked, defensively. I don't even see how that can be debated.

Mike Stanton might look awkward sometimes, but at least he has great range and arm strength in RF.
        Sucking defensively and looking like an idiot are not exclusive. I think Stanton's pretty good out there, but it's hard to argue that he doesn't look like an idiot more than most OFers.

If Sheffield sucked, he sucked. How he looked while doing it is irrelevant. Chris Coghlan looked pretty good, and made a bunch of diving plays, but he was pretty mediocre in CF.
        Last edited by Bobbob1313; 08-04-2011, 12:38 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
        poop

Comment

• Originally posted by ....J.... View Post
          Cabrera's was the third player since 1900 to win a game with a HR in his debut. Calling it overrated is borderline ignorant

Bonifacio's was a really exciting one tho
          Probably a good thing I wasn't doing that, then, right?
          God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
          - Daft

Comment

Probably a good thing I wasn't doing that, then, right?
            i know. i was agreeing with u

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
              I would say boner is memorable because almost everyone spent the spring shitting on him and he proved us wrong in a big way (even if it didn't last.)
              --------------------

Sucking defensively and looking like an idiot are not exclusive. I think Stanton's pretty good out there, but it's hard to argue that he doesn't look like an idiot more than most OFers.

If Sheffield sucked, he sucked. How he looked while doing it is irrelevant. Chris Coghlan looked pretty good, and made a bunch of diving plays, but he was pretty mediocre in CF.
              Isn't it possible for a player to suck and look like an idiot at the same time?

Comment

• Of course, but for somebody who is all about the numbers and doesn't like to discuss how something looks, it's weird for you to default to looks with Sheffield.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beef View Post
                  Of course, but for somebody who is all about the numbers and doesn't like to discuss how something looks, it's weird for you to default to looks with Sheffield.
                  I was trying to be like you to avoid such a stupid debate.
                  Point is, he sucked out there.

It's also not even worth discussing considering that anyone with a brain can see that Sheffield was basically one of the worst defensive players of all-time regardless of position, on a rather consistent basis, year-to-year.

If I say "he had a career -204.6 UZR (not all in the OF, but that's still just an absolute joke), including a -15.0 in the OF the year we won the World Series," you basically laugh it off and say "lulz Erick is using UZR and doesn't know what it means." I figured I'd not waste my time with that considering it's a non-debatable topic, but apparently nothing works with you and Robert.

Comment

• I didn't say you were wrong, just that it was weird/silly.

Comment

Isn't Hanley a great comp here? An incredible talent who has expressed clear interest in entering Cooperstown wearing teal and black. We acquired him via trade (one that was a huge deal) and he's an incredible talent (except he can actually play defense). He's clearly the alpha dog on the team, to boot. I only remember his first game because it was Opening Day, not because it was Hanley's first game.

The only first games I can recall off the top of my head are Lo Duca, Miguelito, Bonertron, and Hermida. But what those four have in common is that they all had an incredible moment that day. In fact, I vividly remember that I watched Josh Beckett's first start. I remember it was day time and that it was a big deal that he was starting. I think it was against the Rockies, but I'm not sure. I don't remember anything he did nor whether we even won. But I remember watching the game and thinking "hey, this guy is the next big thing." Is that game memorable? No, it isn't.

WOW. Totally missed this one.
                      How r those two bolded not the same??

Also, as much as Hanley's comments made every1 feel warm and fuzzy, there is virtually no chance that he goes into the HOF as a Marlin.

Comment

Also, as much as Hanley's comments made every1 feel warm and fuzzy, there is virtually no chance that he goes into the HOF as a Marlin.
                        Sure, I'll play along... why not (assuming for arguments sake he got in)?

Comment

WOW. Totally missed this one.
                          How r those two bolded not the same??
                          You can't tell how vividly remembering the act of watching the game would not be the same as the game itself being memorable?
                          - Daft

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                            Sure, I'll play along... why not (assuming for arguments sake he got in)?
                            If he stays healthy and plays long enough, his stats will obv be good enough to get in, I just don't see him playing here long enough. It's highly debateable that he even finishes his contract here.

Originally posted by Omar View Post
                            You can't tell how vividly remembering the act of watching the game would not be the same as the game itself being memorable?
                            if u vividly remember something then isnt it pretty obv that its memorable too you???? what am i missing???

Comment

• T....J....Fla

Comment

• Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
                                T....J....Fla
                                what is that?? ^^^^

Comment

Working...
                                X