No announcement yet.

Marlins with a Golden Infield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluff Piece: Marlins with a Golden Infield?

NEW YORK -- Florida has not had a Gold Glove winner since Mike Lowell and Luis Castillo were at third base and second base, respectively, for them in 2005.

But with the type of season Gaby Sanchez and Omar Infante are having, infield coach Perry Hill said he wouldn’t be surprised if either one becomes the next Marlins player to earn baseball’s highest defensive honor.

Sanchez leads National League first basemen in fielding percentage (.997) with just three errors in 917 chances. Infante ranks second among NL second baseman with a .990 fielding percentage (five errors in 507 chances). Only the Reds’ Brandon Phillips has been cleaner among NL second basemen with four errors in 507 chances (.992).

“The things he does over there are unbelievable,” Sanchez said of Infante. “People don’t realize some of the plays he makes are incredibly hard. He makes them look so easy, they look routine.”

Sanchez, who made 11 errors in 1,196 chances as a rookie last season (that ranked 12th among NL first basemen), said Hill worked with him vigorously during spring training to improve his footwork.

“I think he’s just more comfortable now,” Hill said of Sanchez. “He puts himself in a better position to field balls, puts himself in better position to catch balls.”

The Marlins rank third in the NL and sixth in the majors in fewest errors with 58 in 108 games. The team’s .985 fielding percentage is the highest it has been since the club finished fourth in the majors in 2004 with a .986 fielding percentage and just 86 errors. Florida was 26th in the majors last season with 123 errors and has been 26th or worse in errors each of the past five seasons.

“I think the group has done well, but there’s still a lot of work to be done,” Hill said. “We believe we can have the best defense in baseball. If that’s not your goal, then you shouldn’t be around.”
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/0...ly-report.html

Gaby is horrific defensively. He stands as a reminder that an error can only be charged if you get a glove on it.

Comment

Stanton kind of got the shaft last year but I understand why he didn't get it.

Comment

I really disagree with Gaby being "horrific."

And can we please, as baseball people, stop caring about errors?
        Last edited by Bobbob1313; 08-02-2011, 12:07 PM.
        poop

Comment

yea, Gaby isn't close to "horrific"

Comment

We have a baseline of what a "horrific" 1B is, and that is Mike Jacobs. Gaby's not anywhere close to Jacobs.

Gaby's unspectacular, but very rarely makes mistakes. Probably not a Gold Glove worthy player, but absolutely not a liability.
            poop

Comment

Gaby is a -1 in DRS but has a 3.5 UZR so...I'd say he's an average fielder at 1B.

Comment

Horrific is an overstatement. He's fine there.

Comment

He's fine. Not really great or anything, though. I would hope he wouldn't have a legit chance at the gold glove.

Originally posted by DropkickAlex View Post
                  Stanton kind of got the shaft last year but I understand why he didn't get it.
                  lol
                  God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
                  - Daft

Comment

Mike Stanton was +17 and had a 8.7 UZR (12.6 UZR/150)...He's a very good fielder. As for I would of given it to was Jay Bruce +17, 19.7 UZR and (18.4 UZR/150)

Comment

Oh geez.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                        I really disagree with Gaby being "horrific."

And can we please, as baseball people, stop caring about errors?
                        Absolutely not.
                        --------------------
                        It's pretty dumb to stop talking about the only statistic that measures how many times a ball should have been caught or thrown correctly.
                        Last edited by Party; 08-02-2011, 03:23 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Batting average is the only statistic that tells you exactly how often a batter gets a hit. Despite that, slugging percentage and on base percentage are still more useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Claudio Vernight View Post
                            Absolutely not.
                            --------------------
                            It's pretty dumb to stop talking about the only statistic that measures how many times a ball should have been caught or thrown correctly*.
                            *According to one guy who sometimes decides that since a team plays in the place he is sitting, he will call it differently.
                            poop

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonCane View Post
                              Batting average is the only statistic that tells you exactly how often a batter gets a hit. Despite that, slugging percentage and on base percentage are still more useful.
                              Both still measure and document the event.
                              --------------------
                              Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                              *According to one guy who sometimes decides that since a team plays in the place he is sitting, he will call it differently.
                              That plays a part in 5% of cases.
                              Last edited by Party; 08-02-2011, 05:10 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                              X