No announcement yet.

An Early Look Into Free Agency For 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volstad is not out of options next year, guys. Depending on how long he's in AAA this time, he'll still have 2-3 options left. He's never been down in the minors the 20 days required to have an option used the last two years and if he's recalled before the 12th of this month (which is likely since Hand isn't doing much to prove he is ready to stay), he'll still have all 3 options left.
    Last edited by THE_REAL_MIBS; 08-01-2011, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
      He was phenomenal in 09-10 and is having a single bad season.
      Are you talking about BJ Upton?
      Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
      Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
      Noah Perio
      Jupiter
      39 AB
      15 H
      0 2B
      0 3B
      0 HR
      0 BB
      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
        Are you talking about BJ Upton?
        No, Coco Crisp.

Comment

Originally posted by mbaamin08 View Post
          Volstad is not out of options next year, guys. Depending on how long he's in AAA this time, he'll still have 2-3 options left. He's never been down in the minors the 20 days required to have an option used the last two years and if he's recalled before the 12th of this month (which is likely since Hand isn't doing much to prove he is ready to stay), he'll still have all 3 options left.
          Regardless, I don't keep track of his days up and down, the Marlins are not going to pay Volstad $2 million bucks to get shelled in NOLA.

Comment

Originally posted by lou View Post
            Regardless, I don't keep track of his days up and down, the Marlins are not going to pay Volstad $2 million bucks to get shelled in NOLA.
            And what makes you think that A.) He's going to get shelled in NOLA when he has an ERA of 2.25 in his 4 starts he has made in NOLA this year and last year and B.) get paid $2 million? Hensley is making $1.4 million this year, Anibal made $1.25 million last year in his first year of arbitration, and, I can't find what Badenhop is making in his first year of arbitration but I know he's not making $2 million. Why do you think Volstad will make so much?

And, speaking of Badenhop, we did sign him and then send him to AAA. Just saying that if we did that, we could do it again.

I still don't get why everyone is so willing to give up on a 24-year old. or are you just trying to get a rise out of me?

Comment

nothing has anything to do with you

Comment

And what makes you think that A.) He's going to get shelled in NOLA when he has an ERA of 2.25 in his 4 starts he has made in NOLA this year and last year and B.) get paid $2 million? Hensley is making $1.4 million this year, Anibal made $1.25 million last year in his first year of arbitration, and, I can't find what Badenhop is making in his first year of arbitration but I know he's not making $2 million. Why do you think Volstad will make so much?

And, speaking of Badenhop, we did sign him and then send him to AAA. Just saying that if we did that, we could do it again.

I still don't get why everyone is so willing to give up on a 24-year old. or are you just trying to get a rise out of me?

Comment

Nobody cares about your insane love affair until you make a post like this.

Comment

Because first year arbitration more heavily reflects the player's entire career, versus 2nd and 3rd year arbitration which weighs more heavily the last year the player performed in. i.e., guys like Anibal, Hensley, Badenhop, and Mitre, all didn't pitch that much in their careers before arbitration. Injuries and non save relievers. That's why they collectively are making very low tenders.

A better comp for Volstad is Scott Olsen. He's actually a perfect comp. He pitched three years in a row 180, 176, and 201 innings. He threw around a 4.6 era during this time and was like 30-35 (I am eyeballing stats). Olsen received $2.8 million in 1st year arbitration. He asked for $3.5, offered $2.5, and settled where he settled with the Nats.

Volstad's career path is similar. He had the half year, 84 innings, and then followed it with 159 innings, and 175 innings. He currently has 111 this season, and I think it's safe to say he probably breaks 150 again when all is said and done. This is nearly identical on a playing time standpoint. Also, Volstad has a career 4.7 era and is 32-34.

Simply put, he is much more Scott Olsen than he is any of the pitchers you mention. Maybe Olsen makes a bit more as his one "good" season was the year before art and that counts for something, but if the Marlins, or another team, take him to arbitration he is a near lock for $2.5 million based on all of his innings and solid-unspectacular 4.7 era ball. Could be higher with inflation.

I think it's clearly obvious without explanation why Badenhop at $750,000 this year gets sent to AAA for a bit, and Volstad at at least $2.5 million will likely not get that. That's a lot of payroll to put in NOLA.

And I don't think anyone wants to give up on a 24 year old, but at that price?

Comment

I honestly have zero interest in bringing back Volstad at more than the minimum. If he's going into arbitration, you trade him for someone who makes the minimum and can back up the corner infield spots and a C+ prospect in A ball (A smolinski type) and I'm thrilled. This team can't afford to take a chance that Volstad has figured it out next year. I've often said you can live with Volstad as your 5th starter. But I'm starting to realize that this roster can't afford to run Volstad out there every 5th day. We don't have the rest of the pieces to make that work. The margin of error is very slim for us to make the playoffs.

Stretch payroll to ~$85 million and I say go for broke with the SP. Keep JJ, Nolasco, and Anibal and drop $15 mil on two SP (Wilson + someone like Livan) to fill out the rotation. Sure, you're spending about $45 million on just your starting rotation, but the position player FAs suck so much this year that it's the smartest usage of payroll.
                      poop

Comment

Volstad should be our fifth against Houston and Oakland since he owns them.
                        This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                          I honestly have zero interest in bringing back Volstad at more than the minimum. If he's going into arbitration, you trade him for someone who makes the minimum and can back up the corner infield spots and a C+ prospect in A ball (A smolinski type) and I'm thrilled. This team can't afford to take a chance that Volstad has figured it out next year. I've often said you can live with Volstad as your 5th starter. But I'm starting to realize that this roster can't afford to run Volstad out there every 5th day. We don't have the rest of the pieces to make that work. The margin of error is very slim for us to make the playoffs.

Stretch payroll to ~$85 million and I say go for broke with the SP. Keep JJ, Nolasco, and Anibal and drop $15 mil on two SP (Wilson + someone like Livan) to fill out the rotation. Sure, you're spending about $45 million on just your starting rotation, but the position player FAs suck so much this year that it's the smartest usage of payroll.
                          I wondered about trading him straight up for another struggling former top prospect, ala Burroughs/Brazelton.
                          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                          Noah Perio
                          Jupiter
                          39 AB
                          15 H
                          0 2B
                          0 3B
                          0 HR
                          0 BB
                          .385/.385/.385

Comment

No one is paying Volstad that much in arbitration, which is what trading him will do to a new team. Marlins are in a no win situation with him unless he becomes good and want to keep him. He's untradeable.

Comment

If they are flipping him for another player near arbitration in a double change of scenery move, he is very much tradeable.
                              Noah Perio
                              Jupiter
                              39 AB
                              15 H
                              0 2B
                              0 3B
                              0 HR
                              0 BB
                              .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
                                If they are flipping him for another player near arbitration in a double change of scenery move, he is very much tradeable.
                                This completely ignores no one is going to pay him arbitration. Why is someone trading him just to DFA him.

Comment

Working...
                                X