X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Double-take — and Change of Heart — at Marlins Ballpark

BY JOE CARDONA

JCCIGAR@AOL.COM

Alright, so I’m a sucker for aesthetics — every time I drive by the new Marlins’ stadium I’m too much in awe of its architectural magnificence to hold a grudge against the baseball team’s organization for having hustled Miami-Dade County commissioners and the ousted mayor into a sweetheart deal tantamount to corporate robbery at taxpayers’ expense.

I don’t blame owner Jeffrey Loria and uncouth team president— Loria’s stepson, David Samson — for getting the best deal possible for their club. The onus of looking out for our tax dollars is on our elected officials who, left to their own devices, will continue to generously give away our yearly contributions — all in the name of making influential friends and getting reelected.

Upon describing the splendorous aura of the burgeoning ballpark I know that I will upset a great deal of my dyed-in-the-wool, hardcore friends who still pronounce the name of our city “My-a-muh” and spend an inordinate amount of time, as I do, pining for the return of landmarks, businesses and personalities that are long gone. While in most cases my heart is with these folks, this time I’m afraid that my opinion has evolved over to the dark side of modernity. And yes, that means I’m willing to forgive the cardinal sin of having demolished our most sacred and hallowed of grounds, the Orange Bowl.
    We must all concede that the end of the beloved Orange Bowl did not commence when the bulldozers tore into its historic structure. The beginning of the end occurred when a rigid Miami City Commission and a hard-headed owner named Joe Robbie decided that the football mecca, which also hosted the Orange Bowl game (when bowl games still meant something), would no longer be the home of the Dolphins. The departure of Clayton, Duper, Marino and Shula meant the old stadium would have to solely rely on income from University of Miami football home games and sundry other sporting and cultural events like ho-hum soccer games (mostly international, exhibition matches or the unwatchable American Soccer League) and occasional rock concerts and monster truck shows. It was clear then that the Orange Bowl’s days were numbered.

The friendly confines of the old stadium became less hospitable every fall as the rugged summer elements peeled and pulled apart whatever distinguished nook and cranny the old gal had left. We witnessed the Orange Bowl slowly die before our eyes. Interestingly enough, the Dolphins didn’t fare much better than their old residence, for they have wallowed in mediocrity since they moved to the stadium Robbie built with his own money.

Originally named after its creator and owner, Joe Robbie Stadium — now Sun Life Stadium — stands as a nondescript slab of concrete in the middle of no-man’s-land on the Miami-Dade/Broward border. Built as a multipurpose stadium, the edifice has faithfully housed the Fish since 1987, yet it has never been a home.

Next summer, I am going to enjoy visiting the new majestic baseball palace in Little Havana. The stadium, like the Marlins (especially under Jack McKeon) has panache. With the addition of a couple of bats and the return of Josh Johnson, next season promises to be an exciting summer attraction.
    Another interesting side note is the fact that the franchise will no longer be called the Florida Marlins — instead, the team is following baseball’s swing towards urban areas and will logically be named the Miami Marlins. It was during the team’s infant stages that original owner H. Wayne Huizenga sneered at the majority results of a poll taken by this newspaper that showed that fans wanted to name the team Miami Marlins after the former minor league squad that saw the likes of Hall of Famer Satchel Paige don its uniform. Huizenga took his bat and ball north and snubbed the fans.

I gaze at Marlins Stadium off the 836 expressway with keen interest and excitement. I anticipate the opening of the new ballpark and, with my young daughter, I look forward to building a new set of fond memories at the stadium.
    Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/2...#ixzz1T26xiknk

Originally named after its creator and owner, Joe Robbie Stadium — now Sun Life Stadium — stands as a nondescript slab of concrete in the middle of no-man’s-land on the Miami-Dade/Broward border. Built as a multipurpose stadium, the edifice has faithfully housed the Fish since 1987, yet it has never been a home.
    I think this is the general consensus on Sun Life Stadium from Dolphin fans. The building tries to be so accommodating for every sport that in the end it is mediocre for football.

I'm hoping that Sun Life gets a major reworking once the Marlins are out. They could bring the seats in so much closer and improve some of the concourses and whatnot. I'm sure Ross will add an Ed Hardy store to the concourse, but whatever.
    This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

The spacing between the stands and field is a concern of mine as well. Way too much room that's not being taken advantage of.

Comment

That is part of the renovation plans.

Comment

Did not know that. Cool beans.

Comment

You can see the extensions there. Doing that is going to improve the experience some.

As for the concourses, the recent renovations have improved them tremendously. Same goes for the club level.

Comment

Also, once it's football only, renovations can really kick in to full gear because they can do major projects during the offseason. With the Marlins, the facility is in use year-round and they can't really dedicate significant time to a major improvement.

Comment

I think I'm the only one that doesn't know where what is what when it's a baseball/football stadium (like where the goal lines are when it's a baseball and where home plate is, ect when it's football.)
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

3rd base line is where one endzone is. When it's a football field you can always see the home dugout since it doesn't get closed off when it's changed around.

Comment

Home plate would be on the furthest corner of the field, under the left jumbotron if you use the picture above as a reference.

The football field goes from third base towards right field.

Comment

Ok, gotcha. The picture throws me off because the two jumbotrons look closer when it's for baseball, if I recall correctly, they are basically right across from each other?

Comment

That rendering isn't how the field looks currently. (When constructed as a football field.)

Comment

So they are going to move one of them?

Comment

If that rendering is how they are going to do it then they are moving both of them.

Comment

Ok, that's what threw me off.

Comment

Working...
                              X