Marlins Running More Under Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Running More Under Jack

Jack McKeon tells the story of Oakland Athletics owner Charlie Finley informing him they were going to steal the pennant. Finley wanted McKeon, who managed the Athletics for parts of the 1977 and '78 seasons, to run the opposition into submission.

The Marlins aren't trying to run away with anything, but they have been more active on the bases under McKeon. Over their last 15 games entering Thursday's series opener against the Astros, the Marlins had attempted 15 steals and were successful on 13 of those.

The previous 15 stolen base attempts under ex-manager Edwin Rodriguez came during a 31-game span from May 18-June 18.

"It's a little bit of a philosophical change with Jack," outfield and base running coach Joe Espada said. "Jack really wants to get things going on the bases and he feels [Emilio] Bonifacio is the right guy to do that. We've seen a little bit with Mike [Stanton]. Mike is a good runner and I think teams sometimes tend to, because of his size, forget he's a threat. We've been picking our spots."

Bonifacio and Stanton, a wide receiver in high school, have accounted for all but three of the Marlins' last 15 attempts. Each has been thrown out once. Bonifacio, who has the green light, is a natural base stealer who in Espada's estimation can swipe 30 or 40 a year with regular playing time.

Stanton's first attempt came on the last road trip in Seattle, in part because of lingering tenderness from a hamstring injury. For his career in the minors, Stanton stole eight in 13 tries. Espada thinks he could get 12 to 15 a year.

"I saw this in the minor leagues, he's always been able to get good jumps," Espada said. "If he gets good jumps and gets his legs going, which comes from being a wide receiver and his football athleticism, he can steal a couple of bases on pitchers who take their time to the plate."

Added Stanton: "They've been helping me out, giving me good situations when to go. I just started feeling good from the pulled muscle in the beginning of the year. Seattle was the first time I didn't feel it at all. That's another thing that's been helping me run a little better, and we need to score runs. You have to do anything."
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...0,685048.story
Working...
X