Jack and Gaby on Bunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack and Gaby on Bunting

Gaby should be fined if he ever does this again.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_...influence.html
    Surprised the heck out of us last night when we discovered that Jack McKeon didn't order the first-inning bunt try from Gaby Sanchez with runners at first and second and no outs. All of us assumed it was McKeon up to his usual bag of tricks.

Here was a player (in Sanchez) who was hitting decently (.270) with runners in scoring position and had enjoyed good success against Phillies starter Kyle Kendrick (7 for 13 with a double and a home run) going into the game. But Sanchez popped out trying to bunt and Hanley Ramirez grounded into a double play to end the inning.

Two innings later, Sanchez came up with runners at first and second and two outs and ripped a single to right off Kendrick.

While McKeon said he didn't order the bunt, he enthusiastically applauded it:

"That was his own," McKeon said. "You've got to give him credit. He's an unselfish player trying to do something. He saw the third baseman (playing) back. He decided he'd bunt one and fill the bases for us. Very unselfish. Didn't work out, but gotta tip your hat to him. At least he's trying. In '03, we saw Pudge do that a number of times and the next guy came in and got the base hit and put us out in front a couple of times. I had no complaints with that. Just didn't execute right. But he had great intentions. We need more of that."

Asked whether it was the best decision given Sanchez's successful track record against Kendrick, McKeon replied: "Yeah, but that's history. That's past. You live by the stats, you die by the stats. The way we are, heck, we need to score runs. We need to get guys in scoring position and hope we get a break. So I would rather have the guy on third. If he could have made the bunt, it would have been bases loaded and nobody out."

Anyone care to offer an opinion on Sanchez's decision to bunt?
    Just over a year ago, former Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez told Gaby Sanchez he didn't want to see him bunt in the first inning. Sanchez hitting second then did it twice successfully during a road trip to Baltimore and Puerto Rico.

Current manager Jack McKeon offered a different reaction after watching Sanchez pop up a bunt attempt with men on first and second and no outs in the first Wednesday.

"Didn't work out, but you have to tip your hat to him," McKeon said. "He's at least trying. … I had no complaints with that. He just didn't execute, but he had great intentions. We need more of that, guys who are unselfish thinking how can I help win this ballgame. He set a good example for the rest of them."

Added Sanchez: "The first thing is sacrifice, but put down a good bunt, especially where they're playing, more than likely it's going to be a hit because they're not expecting it either."
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,0,20345.story

He should never bunt...ever.

Comment

I agree with Sandro. If he's back, I like the play.

Comment

Gaby had a few bunt hits last year, if I remember correctly.
        poop

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
          I agree with Sandro. If he's back, I like the play.
          The third baseman is back nearly every at bat that Gaby is up. He's not nearly a good enough bunter/quick enough runner to be doing this.

Drive in the fucking runs yourself. You're the 3 hole hitter with 2 on base.

Comment

I'm going to assume that he sees where the 3rd baseman is aligned in every at-bat, and that there was something unusual about where Polanco was in that particular instance. Whether he had extra depth, or was shifted to his left, I don't know, but obviously it was different.

Comment

If Gaby is leading off an inning and sees the third baseman back, go for it... bunt away.

But with two men on and no outs, swing the bat. Don't try and be cute.

Comment

I don't like it at the beginning of the game. But then again, I might not like it late in the game in that situation.
                LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Early or late, it's a waste of an out

Comment

If it's a sacbunt it's stupid, if he's trying to bunt for a hit, I don't care.

Comment

Working...
                    X