Marlins Trade Deadline Thread: Comes And Goes Without A Move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
    Look, I'm not trying to attack you but not being a "stats guy" pretty much says you fully believe what you see. Your eyes lie to you. You'll get much more respect around here and around the baseball community if you stop acting like a player does (as most of them only know counting stats RBI HR SB).
    Your right. A lot of teams go ectremely stat-heavy. Some don't as much as others. I guess I am more old school. I will have to face the fact that I do need to learn it if I want any chance in baseball. I'm just still holding off.
    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Originally posted by flamarlin21 View Post
      Your right. A lot of teams go ectremely stat-heavy. Some don't as much as others. I guess I am more old school. I will have to face the fact that I do need to learn it if I want any chance in baseball. I'm just still holding off.
      Lol you run the Trader Jack mentality.

Comment

At what level, and what field baseball are you interested in?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Z View Post
          Lol you run the Trader Jack mentality.
          Except Trader Jack is 80. He's actually Old School.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
            Look, I'm not trying to attack you but not being a "stats guy" pretty much says you fully believe what you see. Your eyes lie to you. You'll get much more respect around here and around the baseball community if you stop acting like a player does (as most of them only know counting stats RBI HR SB).
            Originally posted by Mainge View Post
            At what level, and what field baseball are you interested in?
            Big leagues. Front office or player development. I have enough connections to get my foot in the door.
            --------------------
            Didn't mean to quote ramp again.
            Last edited by Miamarlin21; 07-14-2011, 02:29 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I mean, if you step into an interview and the guy asks you about WARP and you tell him that you'd rather watch the player than know what that stands for ... he'll probably roll his eyes permanently into the back of his head (ala The Undertaker)
              Last edited by Ramp; 07-14-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Wtf is Warp? And ya I know this. I've been putting it off. I'll pay someone on here to teach me it

Comment

wins above replacement player

Comment

Wtf is Warp? And ya I know this. I've been putting it off. I'll pay someone on here to teach me it
                    I think it would be best if you work on finding a nice balance between the statistical and physical. I am certainly more statistical oriented when it comes to professional baseball but my background as a coach helps me find flaws in swings here and there, and similar stuff.

A healthy balance is never bad.

Comment

• Wins Above replacement player. I too use to be stubborn about basing most or all opinion on just analyzing stats but looked a lot more into it realizing the true value of using it as a tool when evaluating players and teams.

Also my brother is the ultimate stats whore and would argue with me non stop when I pulled the stuff you're speaking about right now.

Comment

• Ya. See I just don't agree with all of that. But I'll Have to suck it up and learn it and "use" it.

Comment

• Well what is it that you don't like about it?

Comment

• I just don't think you need to do all these advance stats to try and prove that player X is better than say Matt Holliday or whoever. Those guys are great players and shouldnt be frowned upon because Cody Ross's WARP is better. (I know that's an unrealistic example but I think you get what I'm trying to say.)

Comment

• Your eyes lie to you. RBI isn't a great stat. There's more to life than just batting average and ERA.

Comment

• There's also a number of variables that you simply can't take into account or hold in your memory by just watching a player over time.

Comment

Working...
                                X