Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you own Marlins gear?... you loser

Comment

• For what it's worth, I'm currently not as optimistic about Ricky Nolasco as the rest on here seem to be.

I would have traded him to the Yankees this month, assuming the rumored prospects in return were quality prospects. I'm guessing they weren't because the Yankees seem to be overvaluing their farm system lately.

If we weren't getting fair value, cool, I'm glad we kept him. But, in all honesty, I now see regression in his near future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
        The terrible June still happened just like April, May, and July happened.

And that certainly best pitcher is awesome but he's also injured...a lot. Hence the reason why depth in the minor leagues is important. Always.

The Braves have a great team in the majors, but they also have a system in the minors to back it up, specifically in the pitching department.

Meaning that, regardless, they're in pretty good shape.
        Listen, the Braves are going to be awesome with all their young SP, Heyward, Freeman, McCann, etc. The Phillies are going to absolutely fall apart in 2 years and have old aces, Brown, and massively declining players everywhere. They are win now and fucked longterm. But thats ok, because they are going to the NLCS at a minimum this year and thats what its about.

Marlins? They gon b alright with that Hanley, Stanton, Morrison, Gaby, and (can't believe I am suggesting this) Bonifacio guys as premium position players, a great young bullpen, and 3/5 the rotation figured out health permitting. This team needs like 300 innings from a 4/5 starter, a bench, and not to lose 22 games in a row. It's going to be ok.
        --------------------
        Originally posted by Ramp View Post
        the national media knows who Wandy Rodriguez is?
        --------------------
        ha, as I say that Jon Heyman is talking on MLB Network about him clearing waivers "easy"
        I don't get it! Yes, he's a little over paid, and he's little (5'11) so more wear on his body/arm, but he's rock solid. I guess the 29 other GMs are colluding so they can all collectively low ball the Astros and get $10 mil thrown in for shitty prospects.
        Last edited by lou; 07-31-2011, 05:44 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• Originally posted by lou View Post
          Listen, the Braves are going to be awesome with all their young SP, Heyward, Freeman, McCann, etc. The Phillies are going to absolutely fall apart in 2 years and have old aces, Brown, and massively declining players everywhere. They are win now and fucked longterm. But thats ok, because they are going to the NLCS at a minimum this year and thats what its about.

Marlins? They gon b alright with that Hanley, Stanton, Morrison, Gaby, and (can't believe I am suggesting this) Bonifacio guys as premium position players, a great young bullpen, and 3/5 the rotation figured out health permitting. This team needs like 300 innings from a 4/5 starter, a bench, and not to lose 22 games in a row. It's going to be ok.
          --------------------

How are we going to be ok and yet the Phillies are going to be screwed long-term? I don't understand that. Many of the strengths you listed for the Marlins can still be listed for the Phillies long-term.

And just because they are losing some players does not mean that they won't spend some of that money lost to get other players.

They're always going to spend more; obviously, there's no guarantee that the players they spend on succeed, but there's also no guarantee that they fail.

I think that's just an overly optimistic outlook.
          --------------------
          By the way, just for the sake of discussion, the Padres did not trade Heath Bell.

I am guessing that the Padres, being a non-contender, are not going to overpay and just let him walk/take the 2 draft picks this offseason.

It's been rumored in the past that Loria loves Heath Bell.

I am going to really hate it if we sign Heath Bell. Just saying.
          Last edited by Erick; 07-31-2011, 05:54 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• food for thought: Based on our FIP and average defense numbers (-6 average between UZR, Plus/minus, TZ), we should have given up 447 runs but we've given up 468...20 runs over 2/3 (+2 wins), so 30 runs over a full season or 3 win difference.

Obviously theoretical runs but still, our ERA-FIP is the 7th largest difference in the majors.

Yet we barely above BABIP average (average .289, us .290), barely above LOB% (average 72%, us 71%)...and you can't say it's the XBH, we're dead average in 2b/3b.

Biggest problem is our rotation. FIP-ERA
            Anibal: +0.52
            Ricky: +0.66
            Javier: +0.75
            Volstad: +1.10

With Ricky we know it's a problem, and Volstad has had a problem past couple years, but Anibal has normally beat his peripherals and Javy we don't gotta worry about.

Again, theoretical, but if it rights itself next year that's fixing a big problem.

Comment

• The Pads got Robbie Erlin and Joe Wieland for Mike Adams? We def should have dealt Nunez if that kind of package was available.

*I'm probably late to this party
              Christian Yelich
              LF, Greensboro Grasshoppers
              12/5/1991 - 19 years old

.299/.375/.461/.836
              100-334, 24 2B, 0 3B, 10 HR, 38 BB, 74 SO, 26 SB (4 CS)

------------------------------------

Last 10 Games:
              .394/.512/.697/1.155

Last Update: 7/27/2011

Comment

• But Mike Adams is better

Comment

• Originally posted by Bucklin12 View Post
                  The Pads got Robbie Erlin and Joe Wieland for Mike Adams? We def should have dealt Nunez if that kind of package was available.

*I'm probably late to this party
                  it wasn't available...

Comment

• Originally posted by ....J.... View Post
                    Realize im new here and all, but no way Leo or Choate r here past Sunday......Choate will be a Yankee and it serves us no purpose to keep Leo
                    damn...I...believed you

Comment

• He had the same inside source as fm21.
                      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugg View Post
                        damn...I...believed you
                        Haha! Yup I was wrong......guess they're gonna wait to move Leo in the winter. He'll most certainly be moved and I guess Choate wont make much more than Helms did this year and if u use that logic he's already outperformed his contract

Comment

Haha! Yup I was wrong......guess they're gonna wait to move Leo in the winter. He'll most certainly be moved and I guess Choate wont make much more than Helms did this year and if u use that logic he's already outperformed his contract
                          Dealing Nunez over the winter would be silly, as we would not get as good of a haul than we would have had we dealt him at the deadline, so I don't see that happening. Same goes for Choate. They signed him to a cheap two-year deal, and he is one of the best LOOGYs in the business. I doubt they trade him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valid;185229[B
                            ]Dealing Nunez over the winter would be silly, as we would not get as good of a haul than we would have had we dealt him at the deadline[/B], so I don't see that happening. Same goes for Choate. They signed him to a cheap two-year deal, and he is one of the best LOOGYs in the business. I doubt they trade him.
                            I certainly agree with that, which is why I figured hed be gone by yesterday. Waiting til the offseason, allows more teams to be involved which is probably their hope. But the Marlins r not gonna pay Leo the $6-$7M hes gonna get in arbitration. I agree the payroll goes up next year, but not like that. Have close to $13M locked up in a catcher that hits .220 and a really good setup man, does not sound like the Marlins no matter what stadium you're playing in.

Nice to meet ya, btw

Comment

• That .220 catcher is 17th in baseball in WAR of catchers over 200 PA which is not bad especially considering how unlucky he has been. You want to mock his .220 average, despite raising his LD rate, BB rate, lowering his K rate, and having a terrible BABIP season (.256, career .285, 09-10 rate around .315), ok. All indications point to him improving. His OPS has not surprisingly gone up every month this season.

Buck's contract is an acceptable use of payroll. A league average player is worth $5-6 a season in free agency. He is underrated and doing a solid job. Buck is not a problem with this team. I'm not doing backflips over him, but he is not an issue. Neither is a $6.5 million Leo who is going to be a Type A and would likely get the same haul as next year as team's would immediately recoup prospects via the draft.

I think you should take a step back and look at the global picture of the franchise. They are not going to sign Pujols, Prince, or Reyes, but they are going to keep this entire team together and have $15-20 million to spend on 1-2 SP and a bench. Just because this organization has had a bizarre existence 2005-2010, doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing. Remember, Loria was very aggressive 2003-2005 in acquisitions when the team was coming off the series. Mistakes were made, but the Marlins were relevant and they went for it every year. This is going to happen again, and they aren't going to dump $1.5 million dollar assassin loogys and players on the verge of Type A compensation just because the Yankees want them. Perspective.

Comment

The Marlins would just be better off keeping Leo now.

No team is going to be that desperate for relief help in the offseason. He's a good pitcher, and our payroll is going up next year.

Since they didn't trade him at the deadline, the best they can do with him now is keep him and get the picks when he's likely to become a Type A free agent.
                                --------------------
                                Originally posted by ....J.... View Post
                                I certainly agree with that, which is why I figured hed be gone by yesterday. Waiting til the offseason, allows more teams to be involved which is probably their hope. But the Marlins r not gonna pay Leo the $6-$7M hes gonna get in arbitration. I agree the payroll goes up next year, but not like that. Have close to $13M locked up in a catcher that hits .220 and a really good setup man, does not sound like the Marlins no matter what stadium you're playing in.

Nice to meet ya, btw
                                The catcher is still fine in comparison to other catchers.

And if you could consider a guy to be a really good setup man, you should also consider him as a capable closer. It's just a different inning, which can be less stressful depending on the game.

Anyway, the really good setup man has one of the best save %'s in baseball this year. It's not as if trading Leo makes the bullpen better. It just makes for a possibly more efficient use of payroll, but that's rather irrelevant with the current direction of the team.
                                Last edited by Erick; 08-01-2011, 12:35 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Working...
                                X