Marlins Trade Deadline Thread: Comes And Goes Without A Move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
    I'm just not very optimistic at this point for whatever reason.
    Probably because there's not much to be optimistic about.

Comment

• I vehemently disagree, but whatever.

Comment

• Yeah, that's stupid.
        poop

Comment

• What's so stupid about it?

Comment

• There's not much to be optimistic about with this team?

This team that relies on mostly young players, has three above average starters for at least next year and probably $15-20 million to spend in FA doesn't have much to be optimistic about?
            poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
              There's not much to be optimistic about with this team?

This team that relies on mostly young players, has three above average starters for at least next year and probably $15-20 million to spend in FA doesn't have much to be optimistic about?
              In the sense of competing with the Phillies and the Braves for the next couple of years.

Also, the Nationals have a similar optimistic future, and the Mets will have money to spend, as well, with a better front office now. It's not as if we'll be beating up on those two teams in the future, either.

I'm optimistic in this team being an 85 win team (on a max toward 90) in the near future, but I don't see what's going to stop the Phillies and Braves from continuing their absolute awesomeness.

Also, we're currently really dry in the minor leagues. We have Matt Dominguez (who may or may not pan out), bullpen depth, and prospects at lower levels who, again, are still a bit difficult to project.

Comment

• Who cares what you have in the minors when you've graduated your top prospects and they look good.

The Marlins major league team is very young and very talented. But for a terrible June, this team is right there this year basically playing without probably their best player, and certainly best pitcher.

Comment

• Older players can fall off at any point, that's the risk. The Phillies also are likely to lose Hamels in FA after next year and dont really have anyone to replace him. Utley's contract runs out soon, and Rollins is gone this year, and theyre locked in to a few players without much flexibility.

Atlanta's a bigger concern, IMO. But if the league adds a second wild card, I think we're in better shape than all of the rest of the NL anyways.
                  --------------------
                  Also, our record outside of June would be a 109 win team. Obviously we're not that good, but we're better than we've been with lots of upside.
                  Last edited by Bobbob1313; 07-31-2011, 05:32 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                  poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
                    Who cares what you have in the minors when you've graduated your top prospects and they look good.

The Marlins major league team is very young and very talented. But for a terrible June, this team is right there this year basically playing without probably their best player, and certainly best pitcher.
                    The terrible June still happened just like April, May, and July happened.

And that certainly best pitcher is awesome but he's also injured...a lot. Hence the reason why depth in the minor leagues is important. Always.

The Braves have a great team in the majors, but they also have a system in the minors to back it up, specifically in the pitching department.

Meaning that, regardless, they're in pretty good shape.

Comment

• When Swift is more positive than you, you should probably reevaluate things.
                      poop

Comment

• This is off topic but kind of deadline related, why does everyone in the national media hate Wandy Rodriguez so much. I see reports saying he will "absolutely" clear waivers. I see a guy on 3/$36 contract whose thrown a 3.50 era/1.28 whip/7.5 k/9 his last 675 innings in not exactly a pitchers park. He's relatively durable and not exactly old at 32. He is a pretty damn good third starter being a lefty. De La Rosa got 3/$30.5 in free agency. Lilly got 3/$33. That deal is not very far from market.

CJ Wilson and Mark Buerhle will make more in free agency, or the same annual over 4-5 years. Why in the world wouldn't you claim Wandy. He is not salary crushing at a $75-85 payroll with this team of enormously cost controlled options the next 2-4 seasons and he's pretty good. I don't get it.

Unless there is some imminent arm explosion I don't know about, I think it's crazy if the Marlins don't claim him if they have the opportunity. What a huge win slotting him in the rotation even for the salary. The team would still have $10+ to bring in a bench and 5th starter/keep Volstad.

What am I missing here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                          Older players can fall off at any point, that's the risk. The Phillies also are likely to lose Hamels in FA after next year and dont really have anyone to replace him. Utley's contract runs out soon, and Rollins is gone this year, and theyre locked in to a few players without much flexibility.

Atlanta's a bigger concern, IMO. But if the league adds a second wild card, I think we're in better shape than all of the rest of the NL anyways.
                          --------------------
                          Also, our record outside of June would be a 109 win team. Obviously we're not that good, but we're better than we've been with lots of upside.
                          Have the Phillies older players, specifically pitchers, shown any signs of regression, though? I know Ryan Howard, but I don't see anything else. Their pitching is really awesome.

We can speculate they they'll lose Hamels, but we don't know, really.

And I don't feel like ignoring June. How about this? You build a team based on expected runs scored and runs prevented. We've scored 34 less runs than we've prevented this year. That sucks. It is the worst in the National League East. If anything, we're a bit fortunate to only be 2 games under .500.

Comment

• There aren't many targets out there in the upcoming free agency for positions of need for the Marlins. Marlins also aren't going to over pay for players either (not saying that's a bad thing) while other teams throw more cash than that player should truly get.

These three above average starters have been together for three years and that hasn't provided as much as we've hoped for either.

Comment

• the national media knows who Wandy Rodriguez is?
                              --------------------
                              ha, as I say that Jon Heyman is talking on MLB Network about him clearing waivers "easy"
                              Last edited by Ramp; 07-31-2011, 05:37 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• So I should burn my Marlins gear?
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X