No announcement yet.

Marlins Trade Deadline Thread: Comes And Goes Without A Move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's going to be fun when he's a roller coaster next year and organizationally we're bemoaning the $14 mil still owed to him.

I love the fact that he's durable, but you can get 220 mediocre free agent innings cheap. Banuelos is apparently super off limits, but if it's Montero, Betances, Nova or some combination thereof, you have to do that.

Comment

• Obviously we don't know what teams are offering but I don't get the attachment to Anibal and Ricky. With JJ's injury history, Ricky's Jekyll and Hyde act and Anibal's shoulder history I'm not really sure how the FO feels these three can help compete for a playoff spot. I really don't see the issue it would have been to move one of Ricky or Anibal to get an everyday starter at a position of need and then using FA to find some SP.

Comment

• • One competing general manager said the Marlins told him they want to keep their key pieces (especially pitchers) heading into the new ballpark but would listen to trade deadline offers on a few players, including impending free agent Omar Infante. Teams who have spoken to the Marlins said they gave indications they are not inclined to deal Leo Nunez. A team official said the Marlins are OK with waiting until the winter to decide whether they want to pay him $6 million to $7 million in arbitration. Nunez has made a strong case, converting 28 of 31 save chances entering Tuesday.
        Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/2...#ixzz1TKCeXg1x

Comment

• Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
          Obviously we don't know what teams are offering but I don't get the attachment to Anibal and Ricky. With JJ's injury history, Ricky's Jekyll and Hyde act and Anibal's shoulder history I'm not really sure how the FO feels these three can help compete for a playoff spot. I really don't see the issue it would have been to move one of Ricky or Anibal to get an everyday starter at a position of need and then using FA to find some SP.
          I'm sorry, but that's pretty ridiculous. You're not sure how the FO can think that three good-to-great pitchers can help the team compete for a playoff spot?

Comment

• Not ridiculous at all.

Comment

Not ridiculous at all.
              It is extremely ridiculous. You're essentially saying that those three are worthless. If you wanna say their health is a question mark, then that's fair, but saying they can't help the team is just wrong.

Comment

• Where the hell did you get the idea of me saying they are "worthless"?

Comment

Where the hell did you get the idea of me saying they are "worthless"?
                  Uhhhh

I'm not really sure how the FO feels these three can help compete for a playoff spot
                  When you say a player can't help a team, you're basically calling them worthless.

Comment

• Large leap by you there. I think the Marlins overvalue their worth and that they're more expendable than they want to believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
                      It's going to be fun when he's a roller coaster next year and organizationally we're bemoaning the $14 mil still owed to him.

I love the fact that he's durable, but you can get 220 mediocre free agent innings cheap. Banuelos is apparently super off limits, but if it's Montero, Betances, Nova or some combination thereof, you have to do that.
                      Marlins owe him $20.5 the next two seasons.... and I think it would be very hard to replicate his production/upside for that amount. It's a good contract that's not very long.

However, I agree if you can get one premium and one really good prospect and some team will eat all the money, you might have to do that and not worry about the rotation next year.

Comment

Large leap by you there. I think the Marlins overvalue their worth and that they're more expendable than they want to believe.
                        It isn't a large leap at all.

Again, if you want to question their health, fine, but they are one of the top one-two-three punches in baseball when they are healthy. And Anibal hasn't had any problems for about two years now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valid View Post
                          It isn't a large leap at all.

Again, if you want to question their health, fine, but they are one of the top one-two-three punches in baseball when they are healthy. And Anibal hasn't had any problems for about two years now.
                          Which is never. Which is his point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
                            Which is never. Which is his point.
                            That isn't true. And even still, questioning why the FO thinks three very talented pitchers can help a team get to the playoffs is silly. You can't just assume they're going to be injured.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valid View Post
                              That isn't true. And even still, questioning why the FO thinks three very talented pitchers can help a team get to the playoffs is silly. You can't just assume they're going to be injured.
                              To be fair, it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                                To be fair, it is.
                                They were healthy all of last season. Johnson's shoulder doesn't even have any structural damage.

Comment

Working...
                                X