No announcement yet.

Marlins Trade Deadline Thread: Comes And Goes Without A Move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z Score - How many standard deviations you are from the mean. The higher the absolute value of the Z score, the more above or below average that value is. (A score of 1.5 means you are 1.5 standard deviations above the mean, -1.5 means 1.5 standard deviations below the mean.)

Confidence Interval - Most real world example is the margin of error in political polls. When they say: "Candidate X has 54% of voters (Margin +/- 3)." That means he actually has somewhere between 51-57% of voters. Whenever you sample, you can't be certain that your sample is going to be perfectly representative of the entire population. So, you'll always have a margin of error. The confidence interval is just a way for statisticians to say, "I am 95% sure that the value is actually within this particular range." Usually the smaller the sample, the larger the confidence interval.

If you don't understand your teacher or he/she sucks, turn to wikipedia and see if it can shed some light on the subject (Not joking).
    Last edited by CrimsonCane; 07-14-2011, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• I took stats last month and got a B + in the class.. I have charts to figure this out, Are you going to FIU?

Comment

• Originally posted by CrimsonCane View Post
        Z Score - How many standard deviations you are from the mean. The higher the absolute value of the Z score, the more above or below average that value is. (A score of 1.5 means you are 1.5 standard deviations above the mean, -1.5 means 1.5 standard deviations below the mean.)

Confidence Interval - Most real world example is the margin of error in political polls. When they say: "Candidate X has 54% of voters (Margin +/- 3)." That means he actually has somewhere between 51-57% of voters. Whenever you sample, you can't be certain that your sample is going to be perfectly representative of the entire population. So, you'll always have a margin of error. The confidence interval is just a way for statisticians to say, "I am 95% sure that the value is actually within this particular range." Usually the smaller the sample, the larger the confidence interval.

If you don't understand your teacher or he/she sucks, turn to wikipedia and see if it can shed some light on the subject (Not joking).

Thanks, CC. Yea. I am just not that great at math but I'm slowly getting it. What you said sounds familiar but I am not sure if I know what it "means." It's just shit ton of formulas to know at once. My teacher is very willing to help so I'm going to office hours so hopefully I'll get it eventually. He's the guy I got the autograph for in hope for a decent grade. lol
        LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Wilson View Post
          I would recommend this

This instantly made me angry. Kerry Wood HR Game 7 NLCS angry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramp View Post
            if they're not on iBooks, I'm sure they're at kindle app
            Just purchased moneyball on the iPad, baseball between the lines is also on there.

Comment

• The problem with Colby Rasmus is his dad who is a fucking loon.
              Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

• Steve Rasmus.
                There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• You mean Tony Rasmus?

seriously, that guy still thinks Colby is playing little league or highschool ball

Comment

FM21, you're still in college. Take a statistics class. If you want to work in baseball, you can't just rely on reading a bunch of stats that you assume tell you something, you gotta know how they work.

I would also recommend Moneyball (Really well written. Easy to read.)
                    I love baseball stats, yet I hate college statistics classes.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Comment

• Because they aren't really the same thing.
                      poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Z View Post
                        You mean Tony Rasmus?

seriously, that guy still thinks Colby is playing little league or highschool ball
                        Everyone is Steve to me pal.
                        There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

• Originally posted by KJC View Post
                          Everyone is Steve to me pal.
                          you can call me Zteve

Comment

• You can caaaaaaall meee Aaaaal, call me Al.
                            poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Erick View Post
                              I love baseball stats, yet I hate college statistics classes.

Anyone else feel the same way?
                              Most college statistics courses are taught by grad students who have no real interest in teaching. If you get someone who can actually show you how a lot of this stuff has really interesting applications, it makes the stuff a lot easier to learn and you may actually enjoy the material. When I was taking stats classes, I would always ask myself, "how can this apply to baseball." You would be surprised how often you can quickly find some relationship.

The stats courses that I found enjoyable all had a project component to them and having it deal with something in sports was totally allowed. It was a very cool way to earn an A.

Comment

Most college statistics courses are taught by grad students who have no real interest in teaching. If you get someone who can actually show you how a lot of this stuff has really interesting applications, it makes the stuff a lot easier to learn and you may actually enjoy the material. When I was taking stats classes, I would always ask myself, "how can this apply to baseball." You would be surprised how often you can quickly find some relationship.

The stats courses that I found enjoyable all had a project component to them and having it deal with something in sports was totally allowed. It was a very cool way to earn an A.
                                I had a Russian professor who was difficult to understand and I withdrew.

I'll probably end up taking it again with somebody else just because I hate knowing that I can't pass something. Hopefully it's more interesting next time.

Comment

Working...
                                X