MLB Discussing Realignment: Marlins to AL a Possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculation: MLB Discussing Realignment: Marlins to AL a Possibility

A simple form of realignment has been raised in the labor talks between Major League Baseball and the Players Association, according to three sources: Two leagues of 15 teams, rather than the current structure of 16 teams in the National League and 14 in the American League.

According to a highly ranked executive, one consideration that has been raised in ownership committee meetings is eliminating the divisions altogether, so that 15 AL and 15 NL teams would vie for five playoff spots within each league. Currently, Major League Baseball includes six divisions.

A source who has been briefed on the specifics of the labor discussions says that the players' union has indicated that it is open to the idea of two 15-team leagues, but that the whole plan still hasn't been talked through or presented to the owners.

"I'd still say the odds of it happening are less than 50-50," said one source.

One of the biggest issues that would have to be resolved in any realignment that would result in two 15-team leagues is which, among the National League teams, would switch to the American League.

Two highly ranked executives believe the Houston Astros would be a possibility, because a switch to the AL for Houston would foster a rivalry between the Astros and the Texas Rangers.

"There are still a lot of details that would have to be discussed," said one source.
    Sources: MLB, players talk realignment

I think it's a good idea actually. I mean for one, you already got one Texas team in the AL west whats the hurt of putting the other one there and evening the leagues. Not like your messing it up further, Houston is in the only 6-team division in MLB. Second, like the article you'll create a true rivalry between the Rangers and Astros. Besides every other major sport has equal divisions why shouldnt MLB plus this will help straighten out the extra WC thing

Comment

Odd number of teams in each league? Fail.

Comment

How is that possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Mainge View Post
          How is that possible?
          Year round interleague.

This could be very interesting. I want to hear how the scheduling would work out. If the scheduling is balanced that would be huge. All the talk of schedule integrity would be put to bed for now.

One thing I do not like about eliminating the divisions is the possibility that the play-offs become stacked with large market teams. With the current system, the central divisions have historically held the middle and small markets.

Comment

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
            If they go to two 15-team leagues and no divisions, then the top 5 seeds in each league would make playoffs. No div. imbalance, as now.
            Not a fan.
            Originally posted by Matt Wilson
            Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
            Tom Koehler(4-0)
            AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

I'm entirely against having a single table league that has playoffs. The entire point of playoffs is to determine a champion in a league that has an unbalanced schedule. If you have one table per league, then the regular season winner goes to the World Series and that's that.
              God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
              - Daft

Comment

The part I like least about this is the second wild card. Under the current system you can justify having a play in round. Under a single table it makes very little sense because the fourth team will have proven their superiority over the fifth team with a balanced schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Brigham E. Pujols View Post
                  I'm entirely against having a single table league that has playoffs. The entire point of playoffs is to determine a champion in a league that has an unbalanced schedule. If you have one table per league, then the regular season winner goes to the World Series and that's that.
                  this.
                  Originally posted by Madman81
                  Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                  Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Depending on how you tweak the playoff formatting (play in for 4-5; bye for 1 seed) I think I am on board with it. I hate the idea of doing it in this manner and making the number of playoff teams 5, I think it should be an even number; a flat pool for making the playoffs eliminates the need for a "play in" round.

Comment

I like the no divisions. A lot better than the past suggestions I've seen of theres.

The fifth team sounds dumb.

More interleague play could be a good thing so I'd support moving 1 team. But really who do you move? Houston might not be a bad idea. Personally I'd be a favor of the Nationals. Just looked it up and the Senators were always an AL team.

Comment

You could always just send Milwaukee back.

Comment

Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
                          Problem with that is that if they do keep the divisions the imbalance is 4 teams in AL west and 6 in NL central so they'd have to take one of the Nl central teams and you cant put Milwaukee in the west can you? Houston would have to be the team to go under this pretense. If they scrap the leagues then yeah, you can take anyone. Personally I'm all for the realignment myself, shake things up a bit you know.

As for the playoff format, I think the 2 extra WC's would be good and the format could look like this

#1 Seed Bye into Div round

Best of 3 (1-1-1 home/away)

#2 Vs #5

#3 Vs #4

End the season in Late September which Bud is discussing anyway and the wild card round so to speak would be the same as a end of the year 3-game series so you wouldn't be stretching it out too much longer. Go to your 5-game Division series which lowest-seeded team plays the #1 who had a bye kind of like football. It would work I think

Comment

I would just keep things the way they are and do away with interleague play.
                            Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
                            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
                            Noah Perio
                            Jupiter
                            39 AB
                            15 H
                            0 2B
                            0 3B
                            0 HR
                            0 BB
                            .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Stimpson J Cat View Post
                              I think the potential of a Houston-Dallas rivalry is too good to pass up. Arizona and Kansas City have been thrown around in previous realignment proposals but there is not much to gain from those. Baseball needs a regional rivalry in that part of the country.

Comment

Working...
                              X