No announcement yet.

Jose Fernandez, RHP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well that would be a reason to lie about it, if he was born in 1991 he would have been coming as a junior
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
      Name me an unsafe draft pick? I really dont consider Galloway a risky pick either as he went around where he was supposed to.
      I'm not sure what you mean by risky.
      It seems like you're saying that the Marlins are always taking safer college players with less upside instead of taking risks with certain toolsy players with more upside because of their tools. Wouldn't Galloway be the latter? I don't see how that's not risky; I believe there were questions as to whether or not Galloway would even sign, as well.

Comment

In its 26th year of honoring the nation’s best high school athletes, The GatoradeCompany, in collaboration with ESPN RISE, today announced Jose Fernandez of Alonso High School as its 2010-11 Gatorade Florida Baseball Player of the Year. Fernandez is the first Gatorade Florida Baseball Player of the Year to be chosen from Alonso High School.

The award, which recognizes not only outstanding athletic excellence, but also high standards of academic achievement and exemplary character demonstrated on and off the field, distinguishes Fernandez as Florida’s besthigh school baseball player. Now a finalist for the prestigious Gatorade National Baseball Player of the Year award announced in June, Fernandez joins an elite alumni association of past state baseball award winners, including Derek Jeter (1991-92, Kalamazoo HS, Mich.), Roy Halladay (1994-95, Arvada West HS, Colo.), David Price (2003-04,Blackman HS, Tenn.), Chipper Jones (1989-90, Bolles School, Fla.), Derek Lee (1992-93, El Camino HS, Calif.) and John Lester (2001-02, Bellarmine Prep, Wash.).

The 6-foot-4, 230-pound senior right-handed pitcher led the Ravens (23-5) to the Class 6A state championship. Fernandez finished 13-1 on the mound this season with a 1.35 ERA. A returning Aflac All-American Game selection, herecorded 134 strikeouts against just 21 walks in 93 innings. Also a third baseman, first baseman and outfielder,Fernandez batted .409 along with 35 RBI, 23 runs scored and nine home runs. A Louisville Slugger Preseason First Team All-American selection as named by Collegiate Baseball, he produced a .809 slugging percentage and .465 on-base percentage. Fernandez finished 10-1 with a 0.87 ERA and 101 strikeouts in 72.1 innings as a junior. He alsocompiled a .408 batting average with 29 RBI, 18 runs scored and five home runs in 2010.

Fernandez has maintained a 3.26 weighted GPA in the classroom. He has volunteered locally on behalf of the Shriners Hospital for Children.

“His commitment, desire and work ethic is astonishing,” said Alonso High head coach Landy Faedo. “Jose is verydedicated and passionate. He is our team captain and earns this title with his work ethic, compassion and willingness tohelp his peers. You will find no one who is willing to sacrifice like he does. He is a fine young man.”

Fernandez has signed a National Letter of Intent to play baseball on scholarship at the University of South Florida thisfall, but is projected as an early round selection in this month’s Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

The Gatorade Player of the Year program annually recognizes one winner in the District of Columbia and each of the 50 states that sanction high school football, girls volleyball, boys and girls cross country, boys and girls basketball, boysand girls soccer, baseball, softball, and boys and girls track & field, and awards one National Player of the Year in each sport. The selection process is administered by ESPN RISE and the Gatorade high school sports leadership team, whichwork with top sport-specific experts and a media advisory board of accomplished, veteran prep sports journalists todetermine the state winners in each sport. Fernandez joins recent Gatorade Florida Baseball Players of the Year Nick Castellanos (2009-10, Archbishop McCarthy), Bobby Borchering (2008-09; Bishop Verot Catholic), Eric Hosmer (2007-08, American Heritage School), and Michael Main (2006-07, DeLand), among the state’s list of former award winners.
        http://playeroftheyear.gatorade.com/...JFernandez.pdf
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
          well that would be a reason to lie about it, if he was born in 1991 he would have been coming as a junior
          Fair enough, although does school in Cuba transfer straight up to America(I am sure there is a better way to frame that question).
          Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
          Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
          Noah Perio
          Jupiter
          39 AB
          15 H
          0 2B
          0 3B
          0 HR
          0 BB
          .385/.385/.385

Comment

Fernandez seems like the type of guy who, even if he doesn't develop all his secondary pitches, can still become a closer because of his power fastball and very good slider, apparently. Seems like there are mixed reports about his changeup.

Comment

He has plenty of time to work on whatever he needs to.
              Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
              Noah Perio
              Jupiter
              39 AB
              15 H
              0 2B
              0 3B
              0 HR
              0 BB
              .385/.385/.385

Comment

He has plenty of time to work on whatever he needs to.
                I know; I'm just saying.

Comment

Plus he came in on a kid and sawed off his bat.

A metal bat.
                  Last edited by Mainge; 06-06-2011, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                    I know; I'm just saying.
                    That was more towards those that are tearing their hair out. They seem to have a good eye for 1st round prep arms for the most part.
                    Noah Perio
                    Jupiter
                    39 AB
                    15 H
                    0 2B
                    0 3B
                    0 HR
                    0 BB
                    .385/.385/.385

Comment

So you are just a nitpicking dipshit then?
                      If he pitches competitively I will eat a live frog. He will get annihilated at Greensboro. I fully expect him to finish the year with an ERA north of 7 and a WHIP approaching 2, and an OPS against that nears .900.
                      Originally posted by Todd
                      I said if he pitches competitively. James was pretty bad at Greensboro.
                      Originally posted by Todd
                      I said if he pitches competitively I would eat a frog. Those #s were just a grandstanding statement. Either way, he was nowhere near good.

I honestly dont know why people hate me so much. We are all Marlins fans here.
                      Nitpicking Dipshit
                      Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                      Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                      Tom Koehler(4-0)
                      AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

That was more towards those that are tearing their hair out. They seem to have a good eye for 1st round prep arms for the most part.
                        yup that jeff allison put up some pretty awesome numbers at peabody high

Comment

He has a very generic Latin name.

/contribution

Comment

Originally posted by markotsay7 View Post
                            yup that jeff allison put up some pretty awesome numbers at peabody high
                            Sorry that the Marlins werent able to predict a heroin addiction. Or that he would relapse into an oxy addiction for that matter.
                            --------------------
                            Might as well just hope this kid develops. He is a fairly large dude.
                            Last edited by Todd; 06-06-2011, 08:05 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                            Noah Perio
                            Jupiter
                            39 AB
                            15 H
                            0 2B
                            0 3B
                            0 HR
                            0 BB
                            .385/.385/.385

Comment

Yeah, Jeff Allison as an example of a bad pick is silly.
                              poop

Comment

I find it ironic that the worst examples of Marlins first round picks this decade are both college arms in Sinkbeil and...that kid in 2005. Started with an M. Jacob Marceaux, had to look it up.
                                Last edited by Todd; 06-06-2011, 08:28 PM.
                                Noah Perio
                                Jupiter
                                39 AB
                                15 H
                                0 2B
                                0 3B
                                0 HR
                                0 BB
                                .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                                X