Jose Fernandez, RHP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erick View Post
    When Dim said later on, he didn't specify rounds. So yeah, that's still later on.
    So you are just a nitpicking dipshit then?
    Amy Adams, AKA Cinnamon Muff
    Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
    Noah Perio
    Jupiter
    39 AB
    15 H
    0 2B
    0 3B
    0 HR
    0 BB
    .385/.385/.385

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
      "Later on" is usually where the Marlins draft to spend the least amount of money possible.
      Its really not. And its kind of silly you are going to such an asinine degree even though you have to know what I mean.

I am speaking of the 20 straight 22 to 24 year old college players they invariably take every year.
      Every fucking team does this, god damnit.
      poop

Comment

stop it
        Originally posted by Madman81
        Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
        Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

Yep, at his worst.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
            Every fucking team does this, god damnit.
            Not many do it to the degree the Marlins do it, thats what I am getting at. They take no risks.
            Logan Morrison: "If baseball didn't exist, I would probably be ... like a curler. Or a hairstylist."
            Noah Perio
            Jupiter
            39 AB
            15 H
            0 2B
            0 3B
            0 HR
            0 BB
            .385/.385/.385

Comment

from 2010

GAINESVILLE - Alonso High School pitcher Jose Fernandez moved one step closer to regaining his eligibility Sunday following a Florida High School Athletic Association directors appeals hearing.

Although Fernandez remains ineligible, a motion by the board will grant his eligibility waiver pending immigration documentation. The Board voted 11-4 to give Fernandez time to obtain the necessary documents.

Fernandez' attorney, Ralph E. Fernandez, said producing that documentation will "be no problem."

Fernandez was ruled ineligible for his senior season after it was determined he violated FHSAA bylaw 9.5.1, which states a student has four consecutive calendar years of eligibility from the date he/she begins ninth grade for the first time.

Fernandez began high school in 2006 while living in Cuba. After he was caught trying to flee the communist country during his sophomore year, he was returned but was not allowed to continue attending school and even spent some time in jail. When he finally made it to U.S. soil and enrolled at Alonso for the 2008-09 school year, he enrolled as a sophomore because he never completed the grade. The FHSAA determined Fernandez's eligibility expired at the end of last season.

Fernandez had his case presented to the FHSAA Section 3 appeals committee and that panel voted 4-2 to uphold the ineligibilty, forcing Alonso to bring the matter to the full FHSAA Board of Directors.

Alonso is ther defending Class 6A state champions. As a junior, Fernandez, a right-handed pitcher, went 10-1 with a 0.87 ERA and 101 strikeouts in 72 1/3 innings pitched. He also hit .408 and led the team with five home runs and 29 RBIs.
              http://m2.tbo.com/content/2010/nov/2...her-fernandez/
              Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

You said "later on." Jesus christ.
                poop

Comment

Dim just said he wanted a lefty and then said "whatever, I'm sure we'll find good value later on."

You can find good value later on in rounds 2-5.

If anything, it seems like you're nitpicking because the organization hasn't hit on every pick in the middle rounds taking college players. Which is basically the case with every organization, anyway.

Comment

I made it out to the PSL to see him throw in the State Semifinals against a local school here. He brought it but Vista knocked him around to the tune of 12 hits and 5 earned runs.

He hit the game winning homerun though.

Comment

I dont care that they take signable college players here and there, so much as the sheer number and the fact that the Marlins are generally near the bottom in draft spending. The lack of taking a chance on a few prep players is what irks me.

Either way, I like the first pick. Hope to see more like it. Still want Noe Ramirez in rd 2 unless Mahtook is still there.
                      Noah Perio
                      Jupiter
                      39 AB
                      15 H
                      0 2B
                      0 3B
                      0 HR
                      0 BB
                      .385/.385/.385

Comment

Not many do it to the degree the Marlins do it, thats what I am getting at. They take no risks.
                        That's not true. Perhaps you just want them to take a risk in every round. Or perhaps the risks that they've taken have gone unnoticed because they've failed (Issac Galloway, for example).

Comment

Draft Bonuses Last 3 years

1. Pirates $30,599,800
                          2. Red Sox $28,274,800
                          3. Nationals $28,200,200
                          4. Orioles $24,806,600
                          5. Royals $24,502,000
                          27. Marlins $13,900,300
                          28. Phillies $13,897,900
                          29. Braves $13,417,100
                          30. White Sox $12,772,300
                          http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...tures-2008-10/

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
                            That's not true. Perhaps you just want them to take a risk in every round. Or perhaps the risks that they've taken have gone unnoticed because they've failed (Issac Galloway, for example).
                            Name me an unsafe draft pick? I really dont consider Galloway a risky pick either as he went around where he was supposed to.
                            Noah Perio
                            Jupiter
                            39 AB
                            15 H
                            0 2B
                            0 3B
                            0 HR
                            0 BB
                            .385/.385/.385

Comment

Jose Fernandez
                              RHP / Alonso High School

Bats-Throws: R-R
                              Height/Weight: 6-3/215
                              Hometown: Tampa, FL
                              College Commitment: U. South Florida
                              Birthdate: August 31, 1992

SCOUTING PROFILE: Fernandez’ route to a potential spot in the first round of the draft and the million dollar plus signing bonus that comes with it has been longer and more complicated than any other similar prospect in this draft….perhaps more so than all of them combined. Fernandez was born and raised in Cuba and even pitched for the Cuban National Junior team. However, like many talented Cuban players, Hernandez tried to escape the island for the greener pastures of baseball and life in the United States but was caught and returned twice before finally making it successfully to the United States via Mexico in 2009. Once in Tampa things didn’t get necessarily easier, as the Florida High School Athletic Association declared Fernandez ineligible this past winter, saying that year he spent in Cuba under virtual house arrest following his first failed attempt constituted a year of high school eligibility used. That decision was wisely reversed, ironically probably costing Fernandez money that he could have commanded as a free agent with 30 teams bidding on him in a Aroldis Chapman-type free agent situation. With a lifetime worth of politics and uncertainty behind him, that’s left Fernandez to do what he does best, which is pitch. He is a power pitcher of the highest magnitude, with a big but loose body and smooth, easy throwing mechanics. Fernandez sits regularly in the 93-95 mph range with his fastball and compliments that with a low 80’s slider that has excellent depth and sharpness at times and a deceptive change up. His defining moment as a prospect came at the WWBA World Championships last October while pitching for FTB Mizuno in a playoff game against the Dallas Patriots. With literally hundreds of scouts lining the field, Fernandez threw a complete game shutout, pitching in the 94-97 mph range with a present plus slider and pinpoint control. His combination of raw stuff and command had most scouts openly wondering if Fernandez could have pitched in the Major Leagues that night, with the answer almost universally being to the positive. Fernandez has enjoyed a strong and uneventful spring on the mound, leaving scouts only to worry about minor issues such as his real age (speculated to be a year older than his listed DOB) and his tendency to gain weight (up to 260 lbs at times in the past). The most likely draft scenario is for Fernandez to go in the second half of the first round, perhaps around where his “new” hometown Tampa Bay Rays begin their plethora of picks in the first two rounds.

Projected Draft Position: Second half of the First Round.
                              http://bit.ly/kNjBwv
                              --------------------
                              I'm coming around. I don't hate the pick. BUT I am concerned about the age and mostly about the weight. Don't need Livan v.2.0 eating 8 McDonald's cheeseburgers a night
                              Last edited by emkayseven; 06-06-2011, 07:47 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Theres really no reason to lie about DOB as long as he is eligible for all 4 years of high school is there?
                                Noah Perio
                                Jupiter
                                39 AB
                                15 H
                                0 2B
                                0 3B
                                0 HR
                                0 BB
                                .385/.385/.385

Comment

Working...
                                X