No announcement yet.

Jose Fernandez, RHP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night was one of the most enjoyable trips to a Marlins game I've ever had.

Erick Davis (sp) threw not one but two balls up to us in Sec 29 during Washington's BP so both of my boys got a ball.

My Pan Con Lechon was incredible. Fernandez was ridiculous. LoMo went upper deck.

My boys begged me to take them to the upper deck behind home plate for a quick tour and while we were up there Stanton hit a laser HR.

The drive home took 35 min. Great night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainge View Post
      Care to elaborate because I don't follow at all.
      I think that kids are coddled too much now and don't ever build up the arm strength they used to have. I think pitchers are prone to get injured, and I don't think that there's anything definitive enough to say that any number of innings or limits is the right/safe amount. I fail to see how 20 years ago and further back we had guys throwing 250+ innings and 130+ pitches a start routinely and putting up HOF numbers for 150 years of baseball's existence, but now pitchers can't do that despite advances in training.
      Originally posted by Madman81
      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
      Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• When it comes to making decisions about the health of people who are not me, I would always err on the side of caution. Even if it means I end up slightly less entertained than I might otherwise be.
        poop

Comment

• Originally posted by Namaste View Post
          Last night was one of the most enjoyable trips to a Marlins game I've ever had.

Erick Davis (sp) threw not one but two balls up to us in Sec 29 during Washington's BP so both of my boys got a ball.

My Pan Con Lechon was incredible. Fernandez was ridiculous. LoMo went upper deck.

My boys begged me to take them to the upper deck behind home plate for a quick tour and while we were up there Stanton hit a laser HR.

The drive home took 35 min. Great night.
          I sent Loria a thank you note on your behalf.
          --------------------
          When it comes to erring on the side of caution, I don't much disagree with mk7. There's not really much out there that shows it's the correct side of caution.
          Last edited by Beef; 09-07-2013, 11:00 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• When it comes to erring on the side of caution, I don't much disagree with mk7. There's not really much out there that shows it's the correct side of caution.
            If there's conflicting information, isn't it better to be too cautious than otherwise?

I guess I'm approaching this more from a moral perspective than a "good for my baseball team long-term" perspective.
            poop

Comment

• I'm not saying good for my baseball team perspective. I'm saying that if there really isn't all that much evidence either way, how do we really know that being too cautious is actually cautious? It could be the opposite side of cautious. Granted, I doubt that's really the case, given that just doing something as opposed to nothing is probably more likely to lead to injury. I argued with myself and won and lost. It kind of sucks though that even with a serious lack of evidence, people just blame injuries on a failure to shut a guy down at the right time.

Comment

• What Beef said - how do you know shutting them down isn't setting them up for issues later? Strasburg was handled with kid gloves - he had to have TJ. Matt Harvey now. Manny Banuelos. No one knows that what we perceive as "cautious" is actually the right thing to do.

Besides that, like I said, I think pitchers are prone to injury, and as you can see over the last couple decades don't last a particularly long time, so I'd rather ride a pitcher for the first 6 years and let someone else overpay for the health issues later.
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• If we were in the playoff race, I'd fully agree with you.

We could have shut Jose down a month ago and i would be fine with it. We're 53-87. I'd shut Stanton's fragile ass down too.

Comment

• Beef, thanks for sending the thank you note. I've been busy this weekend.

Without Loria, there would have been dozens (if not hundreds) of fans competing for balls in batting practice.

As it was, we were competing with 5 other fans.

Comment

• I got a bunch of them in LF in Pittsburgh once because no one else was there.

I gave them to some kids who showed up doe, what am I gonna do with bp baseballs?

Comment

• Pitching is not a natural movement and causes a lot of extra stress on your arm. I definitely agree with the idea that protecting pitchers is actually causing harm because with an increased workload the muscles will gain strength. This also requires the necessary rest afterwards. But really can you blame organizations for trying to be cautious? Major league sports are now big business and protecting investments is important. Someone would need to provide evidence (meaning do the actual research proving "protecting" pitchers actually causes more harm than good) for those in charge to change their opinions.

Comment

• He is a Scott Boras agent...you don't think he's been in the Marlins ear about Fernandez's innings? I would probably not shut him down if we were in contention and if he was not just 2 years removed from HS.

Comment

• "Since June 1, Jose Fernandez: 17 starts, 113.1 IP, 62 hits (not a misprint!), 34 walks, 130 strikeouts, three homers allowed and opponents are batting .159/.231/.213 against him."

Comment

• Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 14m
                              Jose Fernandez has a 174 ERA+, which means it's 74% better than league average. Best mark for a rookie pitcher in 102 years.
                              he did it

Comment

• if by "he" you mean "jeff passan" and by "did it" you mean "actually had a complimentary thing to say about a member of the marlins organization"

Comment

Working...
                                X