Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flynn's more than earned a call up.

Comment

• Hand is on the 40-man so I'm sure he'll be up when new orleans is done at the latest.

Comment

• Thanks for posting the update, Huggypoo.

It just so happens I'll be at the game on Friday night!

Comment

• He was only supposed to go 6 tonight.

REDMOND SMH

Comment

• Prob Loria's doing

Comment

• He leads all NL SP in K/9 and H/9. 9.8 and 6.0.
              Last edited by HUGG; 09-06-2013, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• For real, he's gon get some CY consideration
                Originally posted by Madman81
                Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

Comment

• They handed out JoseForROY signs at the gate tonight.

Comment

• Fernandez, who lowered his ERA to 2.23, is expected to have one more start on Wednesday at home against Atlanta before he is shut down for the season. He has a 170-inning limit placed on him and he has thrown 165 2/3 innings.

"I'm thinking about being a bat boy after that," Fernandez said. "Really I was going to ask if I can be a bat boy for some games because I don't imagine myself just sitting in the dugout, I need to do something. I'm the guy that's always moving around and need to do something. I don't know, it's going to be fun. It's going to be different and we'll see what happens."
                    Bat Boy of the Year

Comment

• Really wish he could get to 200 Ks. Sucks to get so close and have time to get there and be shut down by some ridiculous random number.
                      Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.

Comment

• eh, it's gonna be a 36 inning increase. I'd rather play it safe than keep sending him out there so he can get an arbitrary number of Ks in a meaningless season.

Comment

• because inning limits have been proven to work and prevent injuries
                          --------------------
                          http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=19497
                          Last edited by emkayseven; 09-07-2013, 09:14 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• well, we really don't know either way

why risk it?
                            --------------------
                            I mean, it couldn't matter less if he gets 200 k or not.
                            --------------------
                            As to extra pitches, it's harder to show the effects of what an extra pitch does to the chances of injury next year, owing primarily to the way that logistic regression works and because there are other factors involved. (For the initiated, the exponentiated B on the final model for DL stint was 1.000989073323). To give you some estimate of the effect that might have, imagine that a pitcher went from 3,000 pitches in a season to 3,300 (the equivalent of going from 30 starts with 100 pitches per start to 110 pitches per start). The increased chance of a DL visit is on the order of a couple of percentage points. Given that the baseline rate for a pitcher who is not previously injured is 4.9 percent, that's not trivial. Managers, please see to it that your pitchers never throw another pitch.

For what it's worth, I ran similar logistic regressions with several interaction terms (most of the above factors by age, and by injury history last year). The message remained the same. Injury history was still the top predictor, along with raw number of pitches thrown, and as you might expect, having a previous injury or being older made things somewhat worse.
                            http://deadspin.com/5985013/time-to-...tcher-injuries

same writer
                            --------------------
                            he's thrown 2,508 pitches this season

he threw 998 last year (yes he threw 135 innings in just 998 pitches, he was that dominant)
                            Last edited by HUGG; 09-07-2013, 09:28 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

• I mean we've had this conversation before elsewhere. I think pitch and innings caps are ridiculous. They've never been proven to do anything, and I think it's one of the reasons that pitchers flame out after a few years nowadays, because they don't have the arm strength they used to.

Comment

• Originally posted by emkayseven View Post
                                I mean we've had this conversation before elsewhere. I think pitch and innings caps are ridiculous. They've never been proven to do anything, and I think it's one of the reasons that pitchers flame out after a few years nowadays, because they don't have the arm strength they used to.
                                Care to elaborate because I don't follow at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X