LoMo And Gaby Provide The Power, Anibal Takes Care Of The Rest; Fish Win 5-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
    This is a legitimate question but isn't the belief with most guys that power is usually the last thing to develop? His doubles are now turning into HRs and I like it.
    Originally posted by Claudio Vernight View Post
    He's the perfect candidate for that transformation. Great patience, big build, good track record at the minor league level.
    It was never a question of raw power, it was a question of not putting the ball in the air enough. In the minors he was routinely putting the ball on the ground 50-60% of the time, which meant he was only hitting the ball in the air 30% of the time. For most guys, it's a question of their raw power developing for those doubles to turn into HRs. For Lomo, it's been a radical transformation of the way he puts the ball in play. Even last year, he hit 50% more balls on the ground than in the air, whereas this year, he's hitting slightly more balls in the air than on the ground.
    poop

Comment

Hanley did the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        It was never a question of raw power, it was a question of not putting the ball in the air enough. In the minors he was routinely putting the ball on the ground 50-60% of the time, which meant he was only hitting the ball in the air 30% of the time. For most guys, it's a question of their raw power developing for those doubles to turn into HRs. For Lomo, it's been a radical transformation of the way he puts the ball in play. Even last year, he hit 50% more balls on the ground than in the air, whereas this year, he's hitting slightly more balls in the air than on the ground.
        This is why sometimes it's good to use your eyes, besides just looking at stats. You could tell from watching him that the power is/was coming.

This isn't a shot at you, just a general shot at only looking at numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
          This is why sometimes it's good to use your eyes, besides just looking at stats. You could tell from watching him that the power is/was coming.

This isn't a shot at you, just a general shot at only looking at numbers.
          Your eyes could tell you he would start hitting the ball in the air more?
          poop

Comment

by watching him swing? absolutely

Comment

Did his swing change? What's the difference between his minor league swing and now?
              poop

Comment

there isn't much change, if any

Comment

See, that's my point. If he didn't change his swing, it's very odd to me to assume that he would just start hitting the ball differently. It's not a totally drastic change, and it's not the sole reason he's hitting more HRs, but it's definitely not to be swept away.

Take Jose Bautista's power surge: It can pretty easily be explained by an altered swing that generates more flyballs and an increase in power on those flyballs.

I would say Morrison probably has altered his swing somewhat, even if it's not obviously noticeable. I wish minorleaguesplits.com was still active, because I remember him being a 50% GB rate guy in the minors, which I always thought would limit his power.

(Found his minor league batted ball numbers: He was usually between 27-33% on FBs. It's 40% right now, which is cool.)
                  Last edited by Bobbob1313; 06-01-2011, 01:03 PM.
                  poop

Comment

I personally am more surprised by Gaby than LoMo.
                    LHP Chad James-Jupiter Hammerheads-

5-15 3.80 ERA (27 starts) 149.1IP 173H 63ER 51BB 124K

Comment

Working...
                    X