Marlins Once Paid MLB Luxury Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins Once Paid MLB Luxury Tax

Amazingly, this makes the Marlins one of just 10 teams to ever pay luxury tax.

But, The Biz of Baseball has now updated the site to show the Luxury Tax collected during a different model that was part of the 1997-’99 system.

Try this: during that time, it wasn’t the Yankees that had paid the most, it was the Orioles (remember, the club from Baltimore at one point had the highest player payroll in all of baseball).

That’s not surprising? Try another: the Florida Marlins paid Luxury Tax in 1997, the year they won the World Series.

1997-1999

The luxury tax from 1997 to 1999 was based on the average annual values of contracts of players on teams' 40-man rosters as adjusted each day of the regular season, and was assessed on the biggest spenders at a rate of 34 percent on the amount of salary above the midpoint of the teams with fifth- and sixth-highest payrolls.

The tax went out of existence following the season. Owners, unable to get a salary cap, agreed to the tax in the settlement of the 1994-95 strike, hoping it would slow the rate of payroll growth.

It succeeded only very slightly, allowing the high-revenue teams to raise their payrolls to nearly $100 million last season and allowing them to dominate postseason play.

Players insisted the luxury tax not be included in the final year of that labor contract (it was re-established under a different formula as part of the 2002-2006 CBA, and extended beyond).

Below are the numbers for the Competitive Balance Tax (CBT), otherwise known as the "Luxury Tax" for 1997-1999.

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?o...971&Itemid=194
    Originally posted by Madman81
    Most of the people in the world being dumb is not a requirement for you to be among their ranks.
    Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM me!

It was worth it.
    There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

Originally posted by KJC View Post
      It was worth it.
      If you think winning the WS is worth it...

Comment

That's a strange face to put after a sentence that involves the Marlins winning the World Series
        God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
        - Daft

Comment

is excited in his culture.
          There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

He is Vulcan.
            Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

I put cause it was such a response to his statement

Comment

I suffer from excessive sarcasm disease, I'm sorry if my condition makes you uncomfortable. Pal.
                There's No jOOj In Team.

Comment

He's not your pal, buddy.

Comment

They paid $3.58

Comment

Working...
                    X