Marlins Considering Mark DeRosa As Target For 3B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor: Marlins Considering Mark DeRosa As Target For 3B

Last weekend, Ken Rosenthal mentioned Mark DeRosa would be perfect for the Marlins. They just might agree with him.

According to a source who has spoken with the team’s front office, the Marlins have begun weighing the merits of making a run at the Giants’ infielder to solidify their third base situation. Including Greg Dobbs, who started there in Wednesday’s series finale against the Dodgers, the Marlins have used four different players at third. The plan coming out of spring training was to give Donnie Murphy the bulk of the playing time, but he’s been slowed by injuries and timing issues at the plate.

DeRosa, 36, is an attractive option on a few levels. He’s earning $6 million in the final year of a two-year, $12 million deal. For example, if the Marlins acquired him on May 15, he would cost them about $4.5 million through season’s end. That’s assuming the Giants don’t cover a portion of DeRosa’s money, which they might to get a better prospect. Because his contract is up after 2011, DeRosa wouldn’t block third base prospect Matt Dominguez.

Defensively, DeRosa has logged more career innings at third (2,431) than any other position. He’s below average at this point, but DeRosa also provides the versatility to play second and the outfield. Offensively, DeRosa has totaled just 111 at-bats with the Giants since joining them last season because of a wrist injury. He hit .194 in 2010, but is off to a 6-for-18 start this season. His playing time has been limited with the resurgence of Pablo Sandoval. For his career, DeRosa can boast a .273 average and .342 on-base percentage in almost 3,300 at-bats.

The intangibles are off the chart. DeRosa would have no trouble fitting into the Marlins’ clubhouse.
    Florida Marlins keeping an eye on Giants INF Mark DeRosa as third base option

Meh. I mean, he's better than what we have right now. But I don't think he's gonna be huge for us.

I'll take it though. Certainly an upgrade.
    poop

Comment

I still think we should give Bonertron the spot when LoMo is back.
      God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
      - Daft

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
        Meh. I mean, he's better than what we have right now. But I don't think he's gonna be huge for us.

I'll take it though. Certainly an upgrade.
        You totally missed the most important part of the article; "the intangibles are off the chart!!!"

Comment

DeRosa does nothing for me

Comment

Originally posted by Brigham E. Pujols View Post
            I still think we should give Bonertron the spot when LoMo is back.
            He's really not any different a player right now than he's ever been, he just has a .381 BABIP. He's likely going to drop back down to his .260 BA, mediocrity all around style of play before long. Which, with his positional versatility and all around good defensive play and great baserunning is fine as a super sub.

Having him play everyday is putting him in a position to fail. He's just not an every day player, and we've seen this numerous times. He had a good stretch last year, and then he started playing almost everyday at the end and sucked it up again.
            poop

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
              You totally missed the most important part of the article; "the intangibles are off the chart!!!"
              I thought that was a fabulous point.
              This post was brought to you by: Dat SEC Speed

Comment

I would like to see this intangible chart.
                Need help? Questions? Concerns? Want to chat? PM Hugg!

Comment

Mark on DL with "lingering discomfort" on wrist according to yahoo sports.

Comment

I guess it'd be ok, but you figure for $4.5 mil or the prospects it'd take to get him for free, there are better options out there.

I keep going back to it, but David Wright is "available." Michael Young is available, you figure the Cubs'd make Aramis available. Those are great "go for broke" options. That's what we should be looking at.

Comment

Aramis has a huge option for next season doesn't he?

We don't have the prospects to get David Wright.
                      poop

Comment

I believe his option was for this year that he exercised
                        "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                        - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Ah no, it's a $16 mil club option for 2012 with a $2 mil buyout.
                          poop

Comment

As evidenced by this year, the FO won't go after anyone that is signed for next year and will block Dominguez. They love him so much that they somehow thought he would be ready for the bigs this year. The fact that he wasn't is why we are where we are with the four man platoon at third and looking for a more permanent option. They won't get someone who will block Dominguez next year.

Comment

for giggles, would they be able to get David Wright, I think the Marlins would have no problems with him "blocking" Dominguez next year

hell Dominguez could even be involved if such a deal were to go down

Comment

Working...
                              X