Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanley, Pujols, and RISP (plus Some Other Stuff)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluff Piece: Hanley, Pujols, and RISP (plus Some Other Stuff)

Florida Marlins' Hanley Ramirez cashes in on advice from Albert Pujols

Hanley Ramirez approached Albert Pujols one day during spring training and asked the star Cardinal for his advice on hitting with runners in scoring position. Ramirez was a poor hitter in RBI situations in 2008 and knew he had to improve in order to succeed as the Marlins' new No. 3 hitter.

Ramirez won't say what Pujols told him (``It's an FBI secret,'' he joked), but whatever advice the reigning NL MVP gave seems to be working. In one year's time, Ramirez has gone from one of the lousiest hitters with runners in scoring position to the best in the National League.

``He gave me a tip,'' Ramirez said of Pujols. ``Now, every time I have a runner in scoring position, I just remember him in my mind.''

Ramirez leads the NL, and ranks second in the majors, with a .423 average with runners in scoring position. Last season, he ranked near the bottom of the list with a .239 average in those situations.

Ramirez said he also sought the advice of Tony Perez and Andre Dawson. But he said experience has helped him more than anything. Ramirez has gone from a leadoff hitter and occasional third man to the Marlins' full-time No. 3 hitter.

``I was a leadoff hitter, and it's hard to change overnight,'' Ramirez said of bouncing back and forth in previous seasons. ``. . . It took me four years.''

Ramirez said that instead of trying to pull pitches, he has learned, on Pujols' advice, to aim for the center of the field, between the gaps.

Ramirez, who took a league-leading .353 average into Friday's game, is on pace to finish with more than 100 RBI and 100 runs scored, something only three former Marlins -- Miguel Cabrera, Cliff Floyd and Gary Sheffield -- accomplished.

PITCHING UPDATES

The Marlins called up right-hander Cristhian Martinez from Double A Jacksonville on Friday. He takes the roster spot of right-handed reliever Chris Leroux, who was optioned to Jacksonville.

This marks the fourth time the Marlins have called up Martinez this season. A starter for Jacksonville, Martinez will be used primarily in long relief.

• Andrew Miller (sprained ankle) is throwing off a mound in Jupiter. Miller sustained the injury in his second start for Triple A New Orleans last month.

• Burke Badenhop, who has been on the disabled list since Aug. 2 because of a right trapezius strain, is scheduled to pitch one inning for the Marlins' Gulf Coast League team Saturday.

-- CLARK SPENCER
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/1186991.html
    God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
    - Daft

I think you're definitely looking at a guy who's sacrificing his power for average sometimes

I think nny proved it with his fancy shmancy stats: BABIP up and HR/FB down

I'm a huge fan of it

Comment

Originally posted by McLevin View Post
      I think you're definitely looking at a guy who's sacrificing his power for average sometimes

I think nny proved it with his fancy shmancy stats: BABIP up and HR/FB down

I'm a huge fan of it
      I didn't actually notice it, at the other place there was a discussion of people talking about changes in Hanleys stance very early in the season. The numbers more-so support it. If it wasn't for that thread, i'd have said he was getting lucky in BABIP and unlucky in HR/FB lol POINT FOR VISUAL SCOUTING

Comment

Working...
      X