Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marlins Survive 9th Inning Scare, Protect JJ's Gem 6-5.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MH

Oh I didn't know about the needed rest. Oh well. I'd read that he was better the first time through a line up so I figured why not.

Comment

Originally posted by Daft View Post
      MH

Oh I didn't know about the needed rest. Oh well. I'd read that he was better the first time through a line up so I figured why not.
      Over his past seven starts, his ERA over the first two innings was 0.64, and opponents hit just .196 against him.
      There have been some indications that Smoltz would consider a return to the 'pen if it was the right team and the right situation. But even as a bullpen weapon, Smoltz would have his limitations.
      "You'd be signing him to be a multi-inning guy who could maybe pitch two or three innings," said an official of one team with back-burner interest. "But the problem is, then he'd have to sit for two or three days. You couldn't use him back-to-back."
      The 42-year-old right-hander could be open to either starting or pitching out of the bullpen. The Marlins have a need for both.
      That's just some stuff I picked out of the articles posted in the other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
        Section 127, row 2. I paided full price for my ticket dis time!
        Nice I was in Section 443, row 2. I paid nothing for my ticket.

Comment

Besides the one lead off triple off Donnelly, I don't think you can take much from tonight's 9th inning due to the fact it was pouring rain for a good deal of the inning.
          Does the rain disproportionately affect the pitchers, especially when it comes to giving up HRs? Moreover, this isn't just an aberrant performance by Nunez; it is another in a string of less than stellar performances by him lately. In his last 6 outings coming into tonight, he's averaged less than 5 K/9, more than 3 BB/9 and 1.6 HR/9.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
            That's just some stuff I picked out of the articles posted in the other thread.
            I know this is extremely unlikely, BUT:

We (kind of) flirted with the idea of a closer by committee for a couple of weeks before Lindstrom went down. We have three guys in our pen as currently constituted (when healthy) that can go multiple innings and are very effective in Badenhop, Meyer, and Sanches. Smoltz is a proven closer. How's this for a scenario?

Closer 1: Smoltz
            Closer 2: Meyer
            Closer 3: Badenhop
            Flex 1: Sanches
            Fireman 1: Nuñez
            Fireman 2: Pinto
            Fireman 3: Lindstrom

Each closer is designated for a specific night and will pitch no less than two innings. You have Nuñez, Pinto, and Lindstrom as your fire-arms to go whenever you need to get out of an inning quick. Sanches can be the guy brought in to "save" a game in the 4-6th innings when it's still doable but we need innings eaten. Any of the 3 designated "closers" will simply go old school on a rotational basis - one night it's Smoltz, one night it's Meyer, one it's Badenhop, for multiple innings. Rotate based on rest. Any of the three firemen are available at a moment's notice in case the night's closer falters.

If we make the playoffs, Smoltz is the primary closer (since back to back games wouldn't be as big of an issue) with whoever is hottest going to second in command.
            God would be expecting a first pitch breaking ball in the dirt because humans love to disappoint him.
            - Daft

Comment

Obligatory Fredi hate, but why the fuck do you send JJ out for the 8th with the no-no gone and him over 100 pitches? Let's just blow that fucking arm off.

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
                Obligatory Fredi hate, but why the fuck do you send JJ out for the 8th with the no-no gone and him over 100 pitches? Let's just blow that fucking arm off.
                I thought same. I thought maybe he'd get one batter and to get another ovation but then he pitched to a second and I was like wha
                --------------------
                Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                Nunez will always be over Lindstrom in my eyes till Lindstrom can use more than a fastball ball. At least Nunez can work with that change up but needs to limit the long ball.
                he's a FB pitcher; he will always give up a lot of HRs. Meyer is too.

which is why I'd personally prefer the "real" lindstrom, since he is very good at limiting XBHs
                --------------------
                Tremendous effort by JJ tonight. Farthest I've seen a guy take a no-no at a game I went to and it was most certainly cool.
                Me to. High five!!
                --------------------
                Originally posted by Marlinsfan4lyfe View Post
                Can we try sanches when hopper comes back off the DL
                he's not very good
                Last edited by nny; 08-15-2009, 01:31 AM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

I mean JJ only threw 8 pitches in the 8th inning to get to 114. Not the biggest deal ever. And it's not like he was struggling in the first 7 innings

Comment

Only threw 8 pitches because he didn't finish the inning. His last two innings were far from free and easy. That could have been another 17 pitch inning bringing his total to 123.

123 pitches in a 6-1 game is fail on Fredi's part.

Comment

Some dumb bitch in the stands yelled "CMON JJ KEEP THE NO-HITTER GOING" right before Atkins took him deep

I felt like back-handing her
                      STANTON

Serious fun! GET IT IN!

Comment

http://marlinmaniac.com/2009/08/15/b...s-the-rockies/

interesting read
                        Originally posted by Matt Wilson
                        Fish and Chips just became the smartest man on the board
                        Tom Koehler(4-0)
                        AAA: 7 GS, 40.2 IP, 2.66 ERA, 34 H, 12 ER, 17 BB, 31 SO, GO/AO 0.87, BAA .233 , 1.25 WHIP

Comment

I've been meaning to ask him to join here but it seems like a pure-blogs guy

Comment

Working...
                          X