No announcement yet.

Marlins Come Up Short In The 9th, Fall To Phils 3-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anibal looked good after the 1st at least.

Comment

LoMo better make some hilarious tweets between now and Tuesday to make up for this.
      Sanchez life

Comment

Why was Wes Helms playing for the bunt in the 8th inning?

Edit: Or was he just playing to guard the line, defending against extra-base hits?

Comment

I don't knows.

EDIT to your EDIT: He was playing the edge of the grass for the bunt.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
            I don't knows.

EDIT to your EDIT: He was playing the edge of the grass for the bunt.
            Yeah, that's what it looked like to me, too. Incredibly dumb. What are the odds that Ben Francisco was even considering a bunt in that situation?

And of course, Helms range kinda sucks. Bonifacio might've gotten to that ball, regardless of positioning. As crazy as it sounds, I think Bonifacio is our best option at 3B, right now.

Comment

I don't think that is crazy. Helms could reach a few balls hit in his direction today.
              --------------------
              Infante now 2-for-17 RISP. Grounds into 5-3, #Phillies 3-2 over #Marlins, who go 5-3 on road trip.
              He had like the 3rd best average over the last 3 years. Poop.
              Last edited by MiamiHomer; 04-17-2011, 04:04 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Fellas, the Fish were in position to win again @ Philly. Good strategy in the Top of the 9th. Infante put good wood on the ball - unfortunately was right at Polanco.

Webb didn't set the world on fire but did okay.
                Sanchez looked really good after a rough start.

Would love to see a sweep over the visiting Bucs.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiHomer View Post
                  Infante now 2-for-17 RISP. Grounds into 5-3, #Phillies 3-2 over #Marlins, who go 5-3 on road trip.
                  He had like the 3rd best average over the last 3 years. Poop.
                  He's 2-17 with 2 Ks.

Just like we sucked with RISP for no reason up until the 2nd game of the Atl series, he is sucking with RISP for no reason. He'll turn it around.

He won't hit .345 with RISP like he did last year, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect Infante to hit .300 the rest of the way.
                  poop

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Fish View Post
                    Fellas, the Fish were in position to win again @ Philly. Good strategy in the Top of the 9th. Infante put good wood on the ball - unfortunately was right at Polanco.

Webb didn't set the world on fire but did okay.
                    Sanchez looked really good after a rough start.

Would love to see a sweep over the visiting Bucs.
                    Webb was fantastic today.

Comment

what did everyone think about Helms bunting in the 9th?

Comment

I would rather he attempt to get a hit.

Comment

going by win expectancy (Which I admit I don't really know much about or how it's calculated), the Phillies had a 72.7% chance to win the game prior to the bunt, and a 77.7% chance to win the game after. So the bunt did increase the phillies chance to win; However, it was better than just a normal out, and there was a 70% chance (Based off Helm's OBP since 2007) for him to make a normal out.

More interestingly though, the play that increase the phillies chance to win the highest came from Infante's DP. The phillies had a 38% chance to win before it, and a 58.6% chance to win afterwards, for a 20.6% increase.

The next best play that increased the phillies chance to win came from Infante's last out (80.1% -> 100% for 19.9%).

Woo infante

Comment

Helms is really slow, and he's grounded into pretty decent amount of double players over the last few years. I don't necessarily like the bunt there, but a DP was the worst possible outcome, and at least it took that off the table.
                            --------------------
                            Madson also gets GBs at a pretty decent rate.
                            Last edited by Bobbob1313; 04-17-2011, 09:15 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
                            poop

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp View Post
                              what did everyone think about Helms bunting in the 9th?
                              Wes Helms was hitting, so I didn't mind it.
                              --------------------
                              Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
                              Helms is really slow, and he's grounded into pretty decent amount of double players over the last few years. I don't necessarily like the bunt there, but a DP was the worst possible outcome, and at least it took that off the table.
                              --------------------
                              Madson also gets GBs at a pretty decent rate.
                              Contreras was on the mound, for what it's worth.
                              Last edited by Erick; 04-17-2011, 09:22 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

Well, Contreras still gets GBs at a pretty good rate. I'd say removing the chance of a double play there is pretty huge.
                                poop

Comment

Working...
                                X