X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainy Day Peripherals

As a team...

Hitters:

Something interesting here: Despite Mike Stanton and John Buck's best efforts, we are actually 10th in the majors in K%, at 19.9.

However, our power has definitely suffered, as we are 18th in ISO.

We are 15th in BB%.

Hanley and Stanton are going to have to start hitting in order for our power to improve, and I think those are pretty realistic.

Pitchers:

We are 23rd in K/9, 17th in BB/9, 19th in HR/9.

So we definitely need to improve our pitching. Ricky and Anibal can go a long way towards helping with that if they get on track. I'm less optimistic about Volstad and Vazquez.

Some other miscellaneous stuff:

We've been outscored by 5 on the season, and we are 4-0 in one run games. Those both do not bode well for the future, but our bullpen has been really good, so we could end up overperforming in close games.

Also, part of the run differential is that we've yet to win by 5+, but we've lost by 5+ 3 times. That'll balance out.

It's super early, obviously. Just looking at some stuff.
    Last edited by Bobbob1313; 04-16-2011, 06:33 PM.
    poop

I'm most concerned with Vazquez and Volstad being able to go out there and eat innings.

Comment

Ricky and Anibal pitching to their potential is much more important. If they can't do it, we're absolutely fucked no matter what.
      poop

Comment

I definitely don't think Vazquez lasts until the all star break. 7.4 BB/9 and 4.1 K/9 are basically flipped on what they should be and his velo isn't going to get better. He is what he is. I hope we see Sanabia (if healthy) or Koehler/Elih (Koehler winning that battle so far) sooner rather than later - maybe even Hand if he's lighting it up - and we just cut out losses rather than trying to milk out whatever production we can.

Volstad I'm not worried about, he'll likely be the 4.5-5 ERA guy for 170 IP that he is. Considering Volstad is arbitration eligible next season though, I wouldn't be surprised if we trade him next offseason since we have so many arms that can produce the same ERA range.

Comment

I think you've gotta give Vasquez a few more starts and see if you can get him right. The investment's too big to give up on.

The lack of control is so uncharacteristic for him that you have to see if it's not just something that can be tweaked in his delivery.
          --------------------
          Unfortunately, this does have all of the makings of an Al Leiter type of disaster.
          Last edited by Bobbob1313; 04-16-2011, 06:55 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged
          poop

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbob1313 View Post
            I think you've gotta give Vasquez a few more starts and see if you can get him right. The investment's too big to give up on.

The lack of control is so uncharacteristic for him that you have to see if it's not just something that can be tweaked in his delivery.
            --------------------
            Unfortunately, this does have all of the makings of an Al Leiter type of disaster.
            He's never had Andrew Miller control problems; he's actually been very good throughout his career at throwing strikes.

However, it's worth noting that he had a 3.72 BB/9 last year in 157.1 innings. It wasn't just his velocity that got worse last year.

Obviously, we were all hoping it was a fluke, but so far he just looks terrible. I hope he can turn it around, though.

As you said, I'm sure the Marlins are going to be extra patient with him because of the investment.

Comment

My biggest concern is Giancarlo. I can't see us making the playoffs without him hitting 30-40 jacks. He's looked sooooo over-matched recently.

I can see us making the play-offs without one of Volstad and Vazquez.

Comment

He'll probably turn it around. As the Dan Uggla era should have shown us, 10 games of looking like a total asshole doesn't really mean much for a power hitter who strikes out a lot.
                poop

Comment

Originally posted by Claudio Vernight View Post
                  My biggest concern is Giancarlo. I can't see us making the playoffs without him hitting 30-40 jacks. He's looked sooooo over-matched recently.

I can see us making the play-offs without one of Volstad and Vazquez.
                  I expected that from Stanton.
                  He's a 21-year old who strikes out a lot; he's going to have his slumps.

I still think that he easily ends up hitting 30 HR's, assuming he stays healthy though. All-or-nothing hitter. Too much raw power.
                  --------------------
                  Starters
                  5.77 K/9 (25th)
                  3.19 BB/9 (18th)
                  1.23 HR/9 (24th)
                  4.64 FIP (26th)
                  4.27 xFIP (20th)

Relievers
                  7.09 K/9 (18th)
                  3.55 BB/9 (13th)
                  0.59 HR/9 (13th)
                  3.67 FIP (13th)
                  3.93 xFIP (T-11th)

... .210 .BABIP (2nd) / 82.6 LOB% (3rd)
                  --------------------
                  Reliever #'s indicate that they'll definitely regress.

Although, to be fair, Brian Sanches is now on his 3rd year of luck, Ryan Webb makes up for his xFIP # with amazing GB%'s, and Clay Hensley has had a slow start with strikeouts. Plus, even if his K's are somewhat down, he's a groundball pitcher, as well.

I am worried about Leo Nunez. He's throwing more sliders this year, and has become a flyball pitcher again, although it's a short sample, of course. He's off to a nice start with the saves, but that's the only nice thing, right now. Hopefully, his 9.83 K/9 last year wasn't a fluke. First time in his career he's K'd over one per inning in a season.
                  Last edited by Erick; 04-16-2011, 10:28 PM. Reason: Doublepost Merged

Comment

To put in context the relievers have a sub 2.00 ERA.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambridge View Post
                      To put in context the relievers have a sub 2.00 ERA.
                      Are you THE Cambridge?

Comment

Does anyone think that Stanton's quad is still bothering him or not fully healed and it could be a reason for his slow start?

Comment

Fangraphs released fielding stats today. It's definitely still a very small sample size but Cogs and Lomo have been very good so far.
                          "You owe it to yourself to find your own unorthodox way of succeeding, or sometimes, just surviving."
                          - Michael Johnson

J.T. Realmuto .282/.351/.412

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph View Post
                            Fangraphs released fielding stats today. It's definitely still a very small sample size but Cogs and Lomo have been very good so far.
                            The Morrison stat is surprising.

Nice to see that basically everyone has been above average so far. The only horrible defender right now is Hanley.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish Tank Frenzy View Post
                              Does anyone think that Stanton's quad is still bothering him or not fully healed and it could be a reason for his slow start?
                              I think his tendency to not make contact is the reason he is sucking.

Comment

Working...
                              X